Lead Tape Placement on Irons

init.6

Always Sunny
Reaction score
Handicap
12.8GHIN
I'm planning on cutting my irons 0.5" and adjusting the lie 2° upright as per a recent fitting suggestion. We spoke about swingweight and I would like to get as close to possible to get between the D0 - D2 weight we were having success with at the fitting and planned to use 3-6g of lead tape to get there. My question is where should I put the tape? I wanted to put it on the hosel, close to the shaft until I reached a comfortable weight but I am worried that this would influence the ball flight in the same way lead tape on a driver would promote a fade/draw. I don't like the look of the tape on the back of the iron head and can't imagine it would last on the sole of the club with the turf interaction but I don't want to change something I'm having success with. Any ideas on whether this would make a difference?

I'm planning on cutting my irons 0.5" and adjusting the lie 2° upright as per a recent fitting suggestion. We spoke about swingweight and I would like to get as close to possible to get between the D0 - D2 weight we were having success with at the fitting and planned to use 3-6g of lead tape to get there. My question is where should I put the tape? I wanted to put it on the hosel, close to the shaft until I reached a comfortable weight but I am worried that this would influence the ball flight in the same way lead tape on a driver would promote a fade/draw. I don't like the look of the tape on the back of the iron head and can't imagine it would last on the sole of the club with the turf interaction but I don't want to change something I'm having success with. Any ideas on whether this would make a difference?

All of my irons with lead tape I put on the back of the head. The lowest part of the club possible that wont interact with the grass. I don't have any theory or evidence behind but I wouldn't put the tape on the hosel. For me, tape on the back of head means I never have to see it

back of the head centered to keep clubs weight. I don't like tip weighting more than 2g so I normally end up lead taping. I usually lead tap high on scoring clubs to keep down the launch.

Tungsten powder can also be put inside the shaft.

Here's what I did with the cbx irons from The Gamechanger. Double density tape... about 4g per head.
926e59fd6344df64df3c4342b4187ae2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Here's mine. I'm not crazy about the look. I colored one black with a permanent marker and I'll probably do the rest.
1aac8d86d7bafefb6aeef8a5679c8a3f.jpg
ad04dd15794be0feba7d0fe03efbff53.jpg

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

3 - 6 grams is likely not enough in relation to overall head weight to impact the bias of the head. I typically center it low on the back of the clubhead.

It seems like center/low is the way to go for adding tape. If I grip down on the club instead of cutting it, would the tape be necessary as well?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3-6g won't make a meaningful difference in CG for a club head that weighs anywhere from 200-330g

the swingweight might make a difference in how you deliver that clubhead to the ball

Tip: try a 'slightly' lighter grip to bring up swingweight too

And if I wanted to being the SW down, use a heavier grip?
It will. But with grip weight changes, the impact is basically tricking the SW scale. Using a heavier grip will increase the overall weight of the club but the scale will show a lower swing weight due to increased weight at the butt end of the shaft.

back of the head centered to keep clubs weight. I don't like tip weighting more than 2g so I normally end up lead taping. I usually lead tap high on scoring clubs to keep down the launch.

Lead tape is infinitely easier than any other option and easy to modify if you don't like your initial attempt. Chris makes a good point about positioning. I always put it on the back and usually lower to promote a higher launch until I get into the 9I-wedge range, where I'll put it as close to the middle as possible.

Back