Need help hitting 3 & 4 woods off of tee.

Jackal

Reaction score
Handicap
I used to hit fwy woods pretty good off of a tee.

Now , I can't. I've tried teeing high, low , forward and back. Before, I wouldn't think about it, just did it.

Now, trying to think, I can't do it.

My usual ball position is:

Driver-Teed high, off of left heel.

Fwy woods and long irons- no tee, off of left shirt pocket.

7 iron & lower, 2" left of middle.

I've searched and read all kinds of different answers.

So what do y'all say.

Thanks,

Jack

Post a video for Freddie to look at, that will be much more beneficial than people trying to diagnose your swing faults. Just my .02 cents

What's the common miss? I'm sure that would be helpful to people in the know as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Usually I top it.

Yesterday, I hit 2 good tee shots with fwy woods, but I just tee'd up and hit.

They might have been lined up with my left armpit.

Jack

My advice to anyone with this is properly check ball position using an alignment rod between you legs and 3inch from ball. I was truly astounded recently how far my ball hand moved up my stance but it looked ok to me. I was hitting 60 pc FAT! when I corrected it it looked like it was off my R toe at first! Always check fundamentals and check them well, good luck

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a mental issue. Negative thoughts/visualization, instead of positive. Not a swing issue. Hopefully, Freddie will have some insight.

did you post above that you don't tee up your fairway woods? why not? if you can, you almost always should.

i have heard a tip to pull out a 9i and make some swings, then pull out your fairway wood and hit the ball. you want the same tempo for all clubs, but for some reason we try to kill fairway woods.

did you post above that you don't tee up your fairway woods? why not? if you can, you almost always should.

i have heard a tip to pull out a 9i and make some swings, then pull out your fairway wood and hit the ball. you want the same tempo for all clubs, but for some reason we try to kill fairway woods.

Yes, that's the position when hitting out of the fairway ( no tee).

I've tried same position, with the ball tee'd barely above the grass, no luck.

Jack

Yes, that's the position when hitting out of the fairway ( no tee).

I've tried same position, with the ball tee'd barely above the grass, no luck.

Jack

Have you tried not teeing the ball at all from the tee box? Just throwing the ball down on a good lie and swinging away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried not teeing the ball at all from the tee box? Just throwing the ball down on a good lie and swinging away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I haven't tried that. Right now the tee boxes are covered in sand. I will probably try teeing the ball as low as I can, and then line it up off of my left shirt pocket.

The alignment sticks sound like a good idea. A lot of times, the ball isn't where you think it is, or does start creeping forward/backward.

Thanks,
Jack

I used to hit fwy woods pretty good off of a tee.

Now , I can't. I've tried teeing high, low , forward and back. Before, I wouldn't think about it, just did it.

Now, trying to think, I can't do it.

My usual ball position is:

Driver-Teed high, off of left heel.

Fwy woods and long irons- no tee, off of left shirt pocket.

7 iron & lower, 2" left of middle.

I've searched and read all kinds of different answers.

So what do y'all say.

Thanks,

Jack

IMO any time you can use a tee under the rules of golf...use one, why would you "give away" a perfect lie?

Yes, I remember Jack Nicklaus saying always use a tee when you can. If you don't want to use a tee, tee it real low and use one anyway.

Jack

When I started playing golf (around 1994), there was an old man that lived by the course and played all the time.

Some of the others told that he carried lifesavers. You never saw him eat one.

He carried green ones in spring and summer, butterscotch is fall and winter.

If his ball was in a tight lie, he would drop a lifesaver, place his ball on it and hit.

Every now and then, I would find a lifesaver on the course. The color always matched the grass pretty good.

Jack

Well good sir if your usual miss is a top then I can tell you that you are losing spine angle and shortening your arms through impact. This is typically caused by an incomplete back swing or too short of a back swing. make sure you are turning full but not over turning. Remember when the left shoulder reaches the chin, you done done. Then it is just a matter of holding your spine angle and swinging through the ball.

Thanks Freddie!

I'll try that and get back to you.

It does seem like it is worse when the weather is cold, and I'm bundled up, wearing more clothes.

A big thick coat and shirt won't let me turn.

Jack

Not sure if it will help.But my teacher has me coming thru with hands way forward with a open face.You might be closing the club.Never let the club close,but everything with as open a face as you can than pivot.When the face closes I hit tops and shanks

You are not topping the ball or shanking because of a closed club face. These are caused by loss of spine angle and changing the distance between you and the ball prior to impact.

Golf balls are struct with a square club face not an open club face. I am pretty sure your instructor has your hands forward to promote a downward blow not to keep the face open.
Not sure if it will help.But my teacher has me coming thru with hands way forward with a open face.You might be closing the club.Never let the club close,but everything with as open a face as you can than pivot.When the face closes I hit tops and shanks

Yes, I remember Jack Nicklaus saying always use a tee when you can. If you don't want to use a tee, tee it real low and use one anyway.

Jack

This has always been my way of thinking. Using a tee is the only free gift in golf.

Well, I hit today and it worked good (for now).

Line up off of left pocket of shirt, tee the ball 1/2" off the ground.

Take full backswing, follow through.

I was wearing a loose sweatshirt, too.

Thanks Freddie, and everyone else.

Jack

Back