Callaway XR Pro Irons Preview Thread

These irons and the Face Cup technology continue to impress me. I do not make perfect contact every time by any means (I'm not anywhere near good enough to even consider blades), but with these irons it sometimes seems like I do. I see consistently great distances for me, and even mishits lose only a few yards. I've said it before in this thread, but I can't count the number of times that I've noticeably mishit an iron shot and still ended up on the green with no noticeable loss in distance. If feedback is what you're looking for, my take is that these clubs give you plenty of it, just without the penalty that usually comes with being able to tell that you didn't catch it quite solid.

These irons and the Face Cup technology continue to impress me. I do not make perfect contact every time by any means (I'm not anywhere near good enough to even consider blades), but with these irons it sometimes seems like I do. I see consistently great distances for me, and even mishits lose only a few yards. I've said it before in this thread, but I can't count the number of times that I've noticeably mishit an iron shot and still ended up on the green with no noticeable loss in distance. If feedback is what you're looking for, my take is that these clubs give you plenty of it, just without the penalty that usually comes with being able to tell that you didn't catch it quite solid.
That's what I like to hear! I'm looking for some distance consistency.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I really like these clubs. They are the perfect mix for me of forgiveness and distance with less offset than the burner 2s I gamed a couple seasons ago. The sounds is quite nice and even sounded somewhat similar to SkiBum's Bridgestone J15s as we were hitting balls at the range on Friday. That impressed me a lot. The feel was very nice and I felt could still feel when I mishit the ball. When hit well, it really gives a nice feel and sound that lets you know you got it well.

I get a nice high ball flight with the setup I have and distance seems comparable and possibly a little longer to what I used to see with my Taylormade Burner 2's. I have these with the Recoil 680 F4's in Stiff in them and while I like the shafts, I think they are not the optimal for me in feel, but I can definitely deal with them. At some point though, I think I'm going to need to get with a fitter and see what would be best for me with these or if it's just a mental thing with me.

All in all I was very impressed with these first time on the course and am excited to get more comfortable with them as i play more this year.

I can't say enough about how much I love these irons now! I also still can't get over how good the 4i is! I think I want to marry it! lol
Maybe it was just a good swing day, but I sure have been having a lot of those since I got these.

I can't say enough about how much I love these irons now! I also still can't get over how good the 4i is! I think I want to marry it! lol
Maybe it was just a good swing day, but I sure have been having a lot of those since I got these.
I've been pondering adding a 4i, but know it's still a good decision for me to have a hybrid there, but as much as I love hitting the 5, it would be fun to play around with a 4!

I've been pondering adding a 4i, but know it's still a good decision for me to have a hybrid there, but as much as I love hitting the 5, it would be fun to play around with a 4!

You can hit mine all you want when I see you in Madison this summer. I'm still pondering hybrids as well, to put in front of the 4i, and then again I'm also pondering if I even need one. It's that good.

Use mine at the Iowa gathering.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My A wedge arrived today, but with the wrong shaft (had the stock KBS tour v90, not the XP 105 (S300) like was ordered. The length and grips specs were right though. We taped it up, I hit it some, and it wasn't bad, but sending it back anyway. I'm leery of having a different shaft than the rest of the set, and if anything I would rather have it be stiffer than the rest, not softer.

My A wedge arrived today, but with the wrong shaft (had the stock KBS tour v90, not the XP 105 (S300) like was ordered. The length and grips specs were right though. We taped it up, I hit it some, and it wasn't bad, but sending it back anyway. I'm leery of having a different shaft than the rest of the set, and if anything I would rather have it be stiffer than the rest, not softer.
I love having the A wedge, a perfect match and versatile enough as a wedge!

I think I'm going to like it, once it gets sorted out.

I'm also a fan of the AW, it's a really versatile set wedge. From what I've experienced so far hitting onto greens the ball just sits. It hasn't run out or spun back much at all unless you catch it a hair thin.

Took the xrp's out for the first time on the course today. I was hoping to maybe get some good idea of what to expect gapping wise, but the battery was dead on the rangefinder so I was flying blind for the most part. Needless to say, I hit a lot over the green. Ball flight was high and straight, no hooky hooky, which always makes me happy. Really missed having the A wedge in the bag as well, I hope the order gets straightened out soon. Anyway, I bought a new battery so I should get some usable results tomorrow.

I forgot, I did over draw one while trying keep it low due to interfering tree limbs. No wild hooks so far.

I played 9 again today and got a much better idea of distances. I haven't lost anything from my altitudes, and if anything I may have picked up some yards considering it's early season. Still blown away at how forgiving these irons are, especially on toe hits. I hit a 7i from 166 off the toe, it went right of course, but was hole high about 5 yds right of green. No hooks again today, and I am really stoked about that. I was concerned about the low spin I was seeing on the monitor, but the ball flies high and stops quickly. Off the 9i the ball was less than a foot from it's ball mark. I'll see how it goes when the greens are a little harder. So far I am thoroughly pleased with the xrp's!

The more I hit these irons, the more I'm kicking myself for not taking the plunge and buying them last year. They are the ideal compromise for me, between blades and GI/SGI. They play for me so much like my old FG-17's, but with with some forgiveness, and much more distance.

I guess I got sucked in by the massive distance gains I could get with the SGI/distance irons for my last few sets, but in the end I couldn't stop hooking them, and at the worst possible times. I'm not saying that the irons made me hook, but I did have huge problems with hooking and distance control. I'm convinced there was nothing wrong with the irons, it was me doing it somehow, but that is what happened. The xrp's were instantly much easier for me to hit straight and with greatly improved consistency distance wise.

I sometimes wonder if it doesn't just come down to feel and what were used to.

Starting to get the distances figured out with these irons. Surprised to find that I am hitting these the same distance today that I hit the altitudes last summer. It was 55 degrees at most today, with a cool breeze coming off the lake. I'm thinking they will be half a club or so longer when it warms up more. That's crazy to me because the shafts are much heavier than the ones I had in the altitudes. I'm hitting a lot more greens now, and that is a great feeling.

Starting to get the distances figured out with these irons. Surprised to find that I am hitting these the same distance today that I hit the altitudes last summer. It was 55 degrees at most today, with a cool breeze coming off the lake. I'm thinking they will be half a club or so longer when it warms up more. That's crazy to me because the shafts are much heavier than the ones I had in the altitudes. I'm hitting a lot more greens now, and that is a great feeling.

Cup face tech in the irons is legit, it really cannot be said enough!

Cup face tech in the irons is legit, it really cannot be said enough!
It certainly seems to be working. The lofts are virtually the same, with the altitudes being a degree stronger in a few clubs, but these go farther. I'm guessing the ball speeds are consistently higher across the face, which is what I was seeing on the LM, and a big factor in why I bought them (better dispersion being the main reason ).

It certainly seems to be working. The lofts are virtually the same, with the altitudes being a degree stronger in a few clubs, but these go farther. I'm guessing the ball speeds are consistently higher across the face, which is what I was seeing on the LM, and a big factor in why I bought them (better dispersion being the main reason ).

Always fun to see people seeing exactly what was seen in the reviews.

The reviews were spot on I'd say!

I'm having fun hitting greens again and confidence in my iron game is coming back.

Has anyone here tried sanding the finish on their xr pros for a satin look? Mine are fairly streaked up from use and bag chatter.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Has anyone here tried sanding the finish on their xr pros for a satin look? Mine are fairly streaked up from use and bag chatter.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Haven't tried that. Maybe you could buff them with a wheel and jewelers Rouge to remove the blemishes and then try coarser media on the wheel to make them satin.

I had a considerable gap between the 9i and pw. I had the lofts checked and there was 6 degrees between them. He adjusted the loft and now it gaps correctly behind the 9. I suppose I should have all the clubs checked for loft/lie and have them adjusted if need be.

Back