Bridgestone J15 Forged Wedges Preview

I've had more up and downs out of the sand post Legacy than I've ever had. Which is to say, i literally had never had one, and just yesterday in 9 holes I had 2, and probably 5-6 since I've owned these wedges. They will have a long term position in the bag, and contemplating picking up a 52 degree to go with my 56/60. Course, the downside is the shaft would be different and not say "THP Legacy", or have the same grip :(

I was able to put this in play yesterday. I have a 54* that was bent down to 52* and I threw in a DG spinner shaft, which I am using as a gap wedge. So far so good. It's a sharp contrast to the PM grind wedges, as it is much lighter, obviously a smaller club head, but has been just as forgiving. As a gap wedge, it's been fairly forgiving and fits my distance need well. It's also been great for lower running pitch and chip shots, so ultimately it looks like it will compliment my PM grinds very well.

I was able to put this in play yesterday. I have a 54* that was bent down to 52* and I threw in a DG spinner shaft, which I am using as a gap wedge. So far so good. It's a sharp contrast to the PM grind wedges, as it is much lighter, obviously a smaller club head, but has been just as forgiving. As a gap wedge, it's been fairly forgiving and fits my distance need well. It's also been great for lower running pitch and chip shots, so ultimately it looks like it will compliment my PM grinds very well.
I have the J15 52 to compliment my pm grind 56 and 60. Works well. It's the best gap wedge I have ever gamed. 125 to 135 is my favorite approach number now

Can anyone give me their impression of the leading edge,in particular the 52* ? Looking for more of a blunt leading edge vs sharp.....

Can anyone give me their impression of the leading edge,in particular the 52* ? Looking for more of a blunt leading edge vs sharp.....

Im sure some of the legacy guys would be happy to chime in

I have the 50 and 54, I wouldnt consider the leading edge to be blunt or sharp but rather a good compromise inbetween the two.

I have the 54 and 58. The good shots have been great in both feel and accuracy. However, there have been few. I usually take a small divot but seem to be burying these. Don't get it. Play the J15CBs, fantastic irons, and have no problems. Any suggestions?

I have the 50 and 54, I wouldnt consider the leading edge to be blunt or sharp but rather a good compromise inbetween the two.

I have a 50 and 56 and I agree with the statement above. They're both versatile clubs and based on how they were designed they are built to help getting out of rough (per Bridgestone).

Theres also a cheap set in the marketplace (shameless plug)

I have the 60* bent to 62*. I use it primarily out of bunkers, and around greens that are pretty fast (11.5 at last measurement).
One thing about this club - I can get some good spin on my short pitch shots, and am able (at times) to get the "hop and stop" with the higher quality balls (ProV1x and B330 series, as well as with others).
This club has turned into my favorite wedge, I love the action, I really enjoy the 20 ft sand shot, and I have a great deal of confidence with this club being able to stop a ball on fast greens.

For me these wedges are the best on the market. I have a 50*, 54* and 58* in the bag and can't be happier. The turf interaction is awesome. The ball just checks on a nice swing when chipping. Full swings are easily done with these when tempo is right. The black finish has held up extremely well. I've had them in the bag almost a year and there is hardly any wear at all in the black finish. When I get a chance I will post some pics up. They will be in the bag for a long time coming or until Bridgestone releases a new set of wedges.

Here are pics of the face and soles of my J15 wedges. As you can see for having a year of use on them of almost 2 rounds a week average with range time too, they look awesome.

2d4ab1a48b2a392137c82e2df7b34faf.jpg
c5144d55d99489331e9bdc313bc2972e.jpg
8a87b602288d612a6dd13e42061e94b0.jpg

I use the 50° for chips that need more roll out and 110 yard full swings. Use the 54° for most chips and 95 yard full swings. And I use the 58° out of bunkers, on chips with little roll out and 80 yard full swings. How ever Bridgestone changed the blacking process from the J40 wedges to these I don't know. But it's lasted a lot longer on the J15's.

Would love to hear an update from you guys! I'm back in the wedge market unfortunately. I got SCOR's that are great when it's dry, but when it's wet, they dig way too easily and I'm hitting a ridiculous amount of chips and pitches fat. It's a shame because they look so good at address.

How are these in that regard? Also are these wedges unforgiving relative to other major offerings?

Would love to hear an update from you guys! I'm back in the wedge market unfortunately. I got SCOR's that are great when it's dry, but when it's wet, they dig way too easily and I'm hitting a ridiculous amount of chips and pitches fat. It's a shame because they look so good at address.

How are these in that regard? Also are these wedges unforgiving relative to other major offerings?

Im wondering if the sole or the bounce has something to do with it?

To answer your question though, I'm probably one of the biggest offenders of hitting fat chips and pitches. I have previously played Titleist and Ping wedges prior and never really had much success around the greens. Grant it, my short game is not the best but I always had problem digging with my 54 and 58. When I got these bad boys digging seems to be an after thought. It happen maybe once in a while, but I would attribute that to technique. I really enjoy these wedges at address both on full, pitch, flops, and chips.

I haven't notice a great deal of difference in forgiveness overall from other sets. My last set were a set of Ping Gorge Tour wedges and I would say these are slightly more forgiving than those.

I don't seem to have a problem with hitting thin or fat shots with these. I will have the occasion thin out of a bunker but hardly ever out of the rough. However, bunkers around here are like hitting off of a cart path. Usually when I have a bad chip it's because I hit it to hard or to soft. Not that actual contact was bad. The turf interaction is awesome with these. On a full swing if you need to dig, they will. On a chip if you need them to glide through the grass, with the right swing, they do. For me these are the total wedge and I would definitely recommend them to anyone.

I picked up a 50/54/58 from the marketplace. Looking forward to trying them out.

I picked up a 50/54/58 from the marketplace. Looking forward to trying them out.

You will love them. I have the same setup. Best wedge I have ever hit.

I have the J40's and they are very nice. I suspect you will be happy with the J15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im wondering if the sole or the bounce has something to do with it?

To answer your question though, I'm probably one of the biggest offenders of hitting fat chips and pitches. I have previously played Titleist and Ping wedges prior and never really had much success around the greens. Grant it, my short game is not the best but I always had problem digging with my 54 and 58. When I got these bad boys digging seems to be an after thought. It happen maybe once in a while, but I would attribute that to technique. I really enjoy these wedges at address both on full, pitch, flops, and chips.

I haven't notice a great deal of difference in forgiveness overall from other sets. My last set were a set of Ping Gorge Tour wedges and I would say these are slightly more forgiving than those.

Yeah I was looking at the specs, besides the front edge of the V-Sole, the bounce on my 54* is 5* and 7* on my 58*. I took my dad's old Cleveland CG10 56* out and it was miles better to chip and pitch with. I checked the specs later and found that it's 16*!! So clearly I need more bounce. I'm gonna try to get a guy I know to grind them to see if that will help

Bumping for some of the best wedges I've ever gamed. So good. I had a few today that just felt incredible all the way through the swing, and my touch around the greens might be as good as it's ever been. I know KC720 has been bugging me about moving into some new wedges, but I am just not sure i can.

The black is wearing notably on the sole of my 58 degree, but everything else is is still so clean. I'll snap a photo for you guys in daylight when you can really see how they are wearing.

I still need to try these. High on my ponder list.

I put some J15 wedges in play for the first time today and they were phenomenal! I was gaming some 2009 model Vokeys and those are out of the bag for good. I have a 52*, and a 54* on the way- see my WITB in sig, to go with a 58*. My GIR's were pretty sad today, but I was able to get up and down 7 times today with these wedges. I did have a little bit of trouble out of the sand, I'm probably just a little rusty, but the 54* has some more bounce so it may get bagged instead of the 52*. Other than that, these were fantastic today!

I appreciate the positive comments guys, and am glad so many of you have given our wedges a chance and like them. I think our wedges are highly underrated and would honestly put them up against anything on the market. They are that good. Hopefully we will be able to expand our bounce options in the future and have a bigger selection of lofts. From a performance and feel standpoint, if you haven't tried our wedges I think you'd be pleasantly surprised!

Even with that praise, I think more can be said about these wedges.

They are so good for me. I am going to have a terrible time trying to move away from them if I ever do.

Back