SKLZ "Golf Strong" Program - THP Review

Looks like mine was delivered today, can't wait to get the first workout done. I'm thinking I'll get a workout in today and going forward do a Tuesday, Thursday, Weekend schedule and on the off days do some cardio on the treadmill.

my order is placed. will be doing sunday, weds and Friday for my workouts. Looking forward to working the golf specific muscles. I will chime in with my thoughts as well.

I'll refer to the DVD tonight and get you the name of the move. Suffice to say, Finau has better hips than me, hahahaha

They're quality.

Shaky how? Seems pretty damn solid/resilient to me in hand compared to some of the similar bands I have had in hand in the past. Genuinely curious.

Also, 2nd day sore is real. The ole shoulders are TIGHT!

During the one exercise where you're doing that lateral shuffle with your arms out it was clear what point not to go past. I really think I just need to use heavier bands and that should solve my gripe. Don't get me wrong...I don't think it's a quality thing, it was just something I noticed. And my only point of reference for bands was what came with P90X years ago and these seem to be on par with those.

Oh and I was definitely sore today but not one of those debilitating sorenesses. Walking 18 didn't help matters, though!

Assuming you guys all have +50" HDTVs, how bad is the DVD video quality? While I understand not everyone has a HDTV, it still boggles my mind that companies don't release Blu-Ray versions of their videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming you guys all have +50" HDTVs, how bad is the DVD video quality? While I understand not everyone has a HDTV, it still boggles my mind that companies don't release Blu-Ray versions of their videos.

It may be 720P at best.

Well I just finished my workout and Jman, the squat move kicked my butt too. In all honesty this got me sweating more than I thought it would, granted I am very out of shape. I know this is just the first workout but based on it this is exactly what I was looking for in a workout program. Just a couple of quick thoughts:
- These exercises are truly focused on golf movements. As you do each movement you can tell where it will benefit your swing and that is really exciting to me.
- It really was not high intensity or high impact and to me each exercise last's just the right amount of time.
- I know it's been asked a couple of times "what is the next step once the program is complete?". As suggested earlier I would say you could possibly either buy heavier bands or possibly do the individual exercise, pause the program and continue doing those movements for an additional amount of time. I'm not sure how effective that would be but it could be an option.
- I did have to rewind a couple of times to understand a couple of the exercises but it really wasn't a big deal. I figure after doing each workout once I'll know for the next time.

I am pretty excited to keep on with the program and see what else is in store. For me to say that is pretty impressive as I'm not someone that ever looks forward to working out.

I finished Accuracy 1 tonight, and like Distance 1 it has some challenging moves. I'm interested to know which exercises you all 'enjoy' the most :wink:

anyone care to give examples of the specific golf exercises

There's one with the resistance band at a high point, where you get at address position with your left arm across your chest and your right arm under your left armpit. Once there's tension in the band, you rotate your as if you were swing, rinse and repeat. You do it on your off side as well. That's the first exercise that came to mind and I'll put the name of it up next time I do that phase.

Honestly, all the movements in the program really are specific to golf based on what they're isolating, its doesn't seem it sometimes at first, but then through the explanation of what it is isolating and what that reflects in the swing from the video its true. Lot of moves to remember name wise, I'll start pausing after each one and writing the names down here in in though.

I'll have my full writeup on workout 2 later today, but I like it. Plus, my hips/hammy's/etc are shot right now.

Links to Previous Posts:

Original Post w/ Images and Info: Click HERE
Introduction: Click HERE
Workout #1 - Phase #1 - Distance : Click HERE

Workout #2 - Phase #1 - "Accuracy"

Yesterday was my set workout day (doing Sunday, Wednesday, Friday) and this go-round it was "Accuracy" which was on the docket. The main focus here looking back after the workout, balance and flexibility. Every workout in each of the circuits focused in on those two aspects. As with last time, all of the training tools/apperati were used throughout. I will add in, a yoga mat or a workout mat is pretty much a necessity IMO, lots of moves done down on the ground as well and it definitely aids in grip/comfort.

I have no problems admitting that entering this one I was sore from the Distance workout still, not in a super painful way, but a resonant soreness way. Clearly this will vary depending on the users shape starting the program, but I did find within the first few moves here I was loose and good to go. Now, currently, the day after, the hips/glutes/hammy's are tender as is my core. Like I said, lots of balance and flexibility in this one.

As with before, the routine is the same but with different drills/moves. Warmup, circuit 1 (multiple times through), circuit 2 (multiple times through), and the cooldown with the accupoint rolling out the target areas (hurts so good). No jumping around, no craziness, still short bursts (from :05 to :50), and all moves that are explained as it pertains to how it effects the golf swing. There were a few motions where you wonder what this is aiding initially and then after some reps and listening to the Mark it clicks. Plus, each time through it gets progressively more difficult but more coordinated at the same time. Looking forward to running through this one again next week when its all a bit more second nature instead of learning.

As with before, I'll leave this update with some general thoughts:
  • Accuracy puts a big emphasis on balance and flexibility, as it should.
  • Because you always do the moves with both sides (directions) there is always one side that is much more balanced, its cool though because as explained the moves help you on the different parts of the swing, here it was a lot of the takeaway and the when switching sides it was to the follow through.
  • This one was with Anna Nordqvist and being totally honest I thought she was a lot better than Tony was. Still cumbersome and somewhat awkward at times, but Anna was really good about describing where she was feeling the move and also how it relates to her swing or on the course.
  • I still wish it came with an additional door anchor. Just for ease.
  • Seemed like this workout was much better on the describing what you are doing in the move in terms of HOW, might just be me being used to it and knowing what to expect now though.
  • It is EVIDENT all of these are focused on the functions of the swing. Stance, balance, takeaway, firing hips, follow through, etc.

As always, if you have any questions, PLEASE feel free to post them up. I am happy to help!

I got notice that mine will be delivered on Monday. So, my first workout is planned for Weds. and will be doing Sunday, Weds, and Friday for the workout days. I'm looking forward to starting this. I hope it's not just for those who are out of shape. I know Jman is in decent shape and I like what he's said so far. So, it's looking good in that aspect.

I got notice that mine will be delivered on Monday. So, my first workout is planned for Weds. and will be doing Sunday, Weds, and Friday for the workout days. I'm looking forward to starting this. I hope it's not just for those who are out of shape. I know Jman is in decent shape and I like what he's said so far. So, it's looking good in that aspect.

The key to remember, the intensity CAN be picked up with heavier bands or simply wrapping the bands it comes with to hit the desired mark. IMO, you can make it as hard as you want to.

Nice update Jman. Workout 2 for me is today, I'm looking forward this one. I'm still feeling sore from the first workout also.

I'm enjoying this thread. I'm inching closer and closer top picking this up.

I can't speak to the program just yet, but the one thing any trainer has done to press my workouts to the next level is to add some sort of instability, standing on a Bosu or a step device while doing certain motions. For those of you who have seen the exercises, thoughts on that?

Great update Jman. This one is still a definite ponder for me. Trying to see if I can make time for this.

I'm enjoying this thread. I'm inching closer and closer top picking this up.

I can't speak to the program just yet, but the one thing any trainer has done to press my workouts to the next level is to add some sort of instability, standing on a Bosu or a step device while doing certain motions. For those of you who have seen the exercises, thoughts on that?

A lot of the movements themselves (especially in the Accuracy workout) challenge stability with the movement itself. Yesterday I was way off the first go round on a couple of the moves. I will say though, over time (ie if you go back through) I do think that adding something like that would work.

Man this sounds awesome, price is a little prohibitive. I will have to see what the wife says but I would love to try this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

James is this a workout you could watch and then take to the gym? Or is it pretty much based on the box of goodies you received?

Pretty tempted to pull the trigger or at the very least pick up some bands and use them on my own with some of theses and some TPI workouts. I have a feeling the structure of this would end up giving me a better chance to get maximum value even if it cost a little bit more.

Man this sounds awesome, price is a little prohibitive. I will have to see what the wife says but I would love to try this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I posted a discount for it. Got mine for $140.

There's one with the resistance band at a high point, where you get at address position with your left arm across your chest and your right arm under your left armpit. Once there's tension in the band, you rotate your as if you were swing, rinse and repeat. You do it on your off side as well. That's the first exercise that came to mind and I'll put the name of it up next time I do that phase.

Does it differentiate exercises for a left handed vice right handed golfer? Or are you working out both sides equally?

Back