Torrey Pines is Hard!

Golfin Rev

Reaction score
Handicap
Yesterday I got the opportunity to play Torrey Pines South as part of a two day Scramble tournament to raise money for Bibles to be translated in different languages. Man, this course wasn't even close to being set up like they do for the Farmers Insurance Open, and not even at all close to the US Open setup, and it's still crazy hard. It's long, and if you don't get it in the fairway, you're lucky to find your ball, and you're even luckier to be able to salvage a par. But boy is it beautiful too.

Let me let you in on a little secret, though. If you are in San Diego, Maderas, which we played the first day of the tourney, is better (and actually cheaper too!).

I prefer Aviara to both of them.
Glad to be doing a THP Event at Avi this year.

I have enjoyed Torrey, although its not my favorite, and enjoyed Maderas as well. Conditions are either great or poor at Maderas it seems, with no in between, but still fun.

You're correct, it's hard. I've played it several times. The view is fantastic but the golf is difficult to say the least!

Torrey is a beast. Played it about 10 years ago. Liked the layout.

I have enjoyed Torrey, although its not my favorite, and enjoyed Maderas as well. Conditions are either great or poor at Maderas it seems, with no in between, but still fun.

Aviara is on my to do list. When is the THP Event there?

We played the North course when we were out there for The King last year and it was a LOT of fun.

We played out at Sycuan yesterday and it was just a beautiful day to be out on a course. It must have just been just plain gorgeous at Torrey.

We played out at Sycuan yesterday and it was just a beautiful day to be out on a course. It must have just been just plain gorgeous at Torrey.

It really was. Especially on hole 3. The downhill par 3 looking at the ocean. So amazing. And I got in on the green, and hit the birdie putt! So I loved that hole!

I've been to San Diego several times and have yet to play Torrey. I need to have a chat with my buddies in socal about this

I've been to San Diego several times and have yet to play Torrey. I need to have a chat with my buddies in socal about this

You do! I would meet you down there if I could get away. I don't have the hookup for tee times though. We need to find an SD resident for that.

You do! I would meet you down there if I could get away. I don't have the hookup for tee times though. We need to find an SD resident for that.
I believe I know a couple ;)

Played both course in one day several years ago, stayed in the Lodge. WAS THE GREATEST DAY OF MY GOLFING LIFE! If you remember that Pat Perez's dad is the starter there (Didn't know that at the time but later I made the connection) I remember him saying to me when I started the 2nd 18 on the South Course "You're Crazy to play a 2nd 18" I told him "Hey, I'm from Chicago and I don't know when I'm getting back here". I tell my wife it's my "Home Course"

Text being sent now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe I know a couple ;)

It's almost like Tim forgot about me and SanDiegoNative

Anytime you're in San Diego, Alez367 and I will make your Torrey dream a reality

Anytime you're in San Diego, Alez367 and I will make your Torrey dream a reality

Truth, played both the South and North with these guys and enjoyed the hell out of it! The South is a beast, but it's luckily pretty forgiving off the tee. Trouble is a lot of the par 4's are so damn long and/or into the wind that it's a success to have shorter than a hybrid in!

Oh, that and KIKUYA...more accurately ki-screw-ya!

Agreed. Aviara is like an enjoyable day at the spa sitting on the beach drinking. Torrey is like running a marathon. You are happy you are done and feel like you accomplished something, but you are in no hurry to do it again.

Good to know. I feel a #thpcallout coming.

Good to know. I feel a #thpcallout coming.

I enjoyed taking $10 bucks from you during #TheKing and will gladly give you an opportunity to get it back. All kidding aside, same offer applies to you as to Kang.

dont let him off the hook Fupy. I can't talk because i'm rocking the goose egg for my record in #THPcallouts. Offer goes for anyone coming out, I'd love to tee it up with another THPer that wants to play torrey. Resident card can get a time within 7 days for free or $25 per person up to 80 day out. Course is in good shape for the most part with some spots needed some TLC.

dont let him off the hook Fupy. I can't talk because i'm rocking the goose egg for my record in #THPcallouts. Offer goes for anyone coming out, I'd love to tee it up with another THPer that wants to play torrey. Resident card can get a time within 7 days for free or $25 per person up to 80 day out. Course is in good shape for the most part with some spots needed some TLC.

Shut your mouth :)

North Course is closed for upgrades. Only the front 9 is currently open and will be closed soon.

South Course is open, but is pretty busy due to the North Course being closed.

URL for General Torrey Pines Information:
https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/golf/torreypines

URL for Green Fees and Twilight Times:
https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/golf/torreypines/reservations/fees

It's tough but, not surprisingly, a must play if you haven't. I've played both courses a number of times and the thing that really struck me was how small #13 green on the South is. Recalling that eagle putt that Tiger made in the 3rd round from the back, it seemed like it was a huge bomb. In fact, that green is a lot smaller than it looks on TV. Still a great putt given the distance, slope and speed those greens were at.

I still haven't made it out to the South course, maybe this weekend if I can get a slot.

It's tough but, not surprisingly, a must play if you haven't. I've played both courses a number of times and the thing that really struck me was how small #13 green on the South is. Recalling that eagle putt that Tiger made in the 3rd round from the back, it seemed like it was a huge bomb. In fact, that green is a lot smaller than it looks on TV. Still a great putt given the distance, slope and speed those greens were at.

For the most part, the greens are small and usually pretty fast & firm. Add the deep rough and you have a pretty tough golf track.

UR to Preview all the holes:
http://www.torreypinesgolfcourse.com/viewer-slideshow-course.htm?1

Back