Autisim Awarness Day in College Basketball on Saturday..You can help on Twitter

CAA_Beat

Reaction score
Handicap
Edit Feb 2016: For anyone new in the last two years, be sure and check out the video in my last post. It does a really good job of telling the story:

Hi guys, I posted this in the Banter thread, but JB suggested I start it's own thread as it's a really neat thing.

Instead of me writing a long explanation, I'll post some links how during many of tomorrows basketball games on National TV, coaches will be wearing a blue Autism Awareness Pin. This idea was started by Towson coach Pat Skerry and Marshall Head Coach Tom Herrion, both who have autistic sons.

I cover the Towson team for a local outlet, so I am trying to help the raise the awareness and some funds as well. Go to Twitter and find this tweet from me and RT it. I will donate to AutismSpeaks for each Retweeet.

Here's some info, if nothing else the story by Alex Prewitt in the Washington Post is a great read.

Thanks for taking the time to help a cause that doesn't get as much attention as some others.

Robert Canady@CAA_BeatJoin @CoachPatSkerry @CoachTomHerrion in support of #AutismAwarenessDay in college hoops Sat.. l will donate .05 per RT for the first 2000

Thanks to several of you who have already Retweeted!! I was told my 2000 RT's was too ambious, maybe so. But I'd love to pay out the max!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...625d86-89d2-11e3-833c-33098f9e5267_story.html

http://www.autismspeaks.org/news/news-item/autism-awareness-day-college-b-ball-gaining-momentum

Last edited:
I retweeted earlier, but wanted to let you know that I think you're doing a really nice thing. Let's get that retweet count to 2,000!

I retweeted earlier, but wanted to let you know that I think you're doing a really nice thing. Let's get that retweet count to 2,000!

Thanks Pete, I saw yours and others RT's. I know Coach Skerry appreciates the support.

Awesome cause bud! I RTed!! Let's get it to 2000!

2000 here we come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retweeted. Robert, it's great that you're doing this.

Done. Good luck and u sir are doing a little bit if god's work.

Done as well earlier from the first post.

You are a good man!

JM

Got that Retweeted Rob. Great Job!!!!

Retweeted. This is really cool man, nice work

Thanks to everyone who retweeted this on Friiday and Saturday....Just an update. I fell short of the 2000 RT mark, but I'll still make the full donation.

More importantly, Saturdays national event was a success, Coach Pat Skerry who spearheaded the day said it made him so proud to see all the coaches wearing the pins on the games he saw on TV. He said the support from his fellow coaches and the media meant a lot to him and others that have children on the Autism spectrum.

Coach Bruiser Flint of Drexel, who Towson played yesterday said afterward.."I've known Pat for many years. We are good freinds. When he called and asked me to wear it. it was no decison. Coaching is a fraternity when one of us needs help with something, we are there to jump in. Besides it was for kids, I love kids. We all love kids, that's one of the reason we go into coaching.'

Just a first class reaction from a coach who just 30 minutes earlier had lost a tough game by three points.

Thanks again everyone, Coach Skerry said they have already talked about how it can be a bigger and better awareness event next year and going forward.

Great Job Rob for you great support for Autism Awareness!!!

Bumping this thread as this now annual event in College Basketball takes place tomorrow across the country. Through the efforts of Coach Skerry and Coach Herriron over 500 coaches will be wearing the Autism Speaks blue pins this week on the sidelines.

Bumping this thread as this now annual event in College Basketball takes place tomorrow across the country. Through the efforts of Coach Skerry and Coach Herriron over 500 coaches will be wearing the Autism Speaks blue pins this week on the sidelines.

great event, a cousin of mine has autism and I make it a point to donate to the Canadian autism foundation every year.

thanks for bumping that Rob

great event, a cousin of mine has autism and I make it a point to donate to the Canadian autism foundation every year.

thanks for bumping that Rob

It really is Marty, I support the cause through a few different events each year, with tomorrows game definitely being one of them.

Back