THP Regional Rivalry - Ohio vs Michigan - Sponsored By True Temper

Alt shot definitely is the more pressure packed. As other have mentioned, the other formats provide some "safety nets" with being able to rely on your partner.
Modified Pinehurst would be best as after selecting the best drive, you play alt shot in from there.
Shamble provides the comfort of being able to choose what drive to play, but your score matters, as it's a combined score.
Best Ball there still is accountability also, you don't want to totally rely on your partners score.

Communication, strategy, and application of that strategy will be huge!

Alt shot also steps up the pressure when playing against strokes

Hey 441, Any chance of a ranking for Capt's pick of the guys vying for spots? It will be time to make your decision before you know it.

Just curious CJ - as a THPer who has played in these type of events; which format was the hardest for you? And did you change your game and/or strategy up as you switched from one to another?

Really these questions are for any THPer with tournament experience, but I'm more interested in those guys with higher HC's and how they handled the pressure of each format.

I'm okay with alt shot. If you remember to not worry about the leave you give your partner and play the shot in front of you. All works out in the end. #NoSorry'sInAltShot

It's hard to believe its already the end of he week! Seems like Monday was just here with all the excitement that ensued.

Alt shot also steps up the pressure when playing against strokes

I've said it before and I will say it again... #NoSorrysInAltShot. We got this brother.

Wow go off the grid for a few days and had a lot of catching up to do!

Time to get to work! Have a few tough decisions to make.

Wow go off the grid for a few days and had a lot of catching up to do!

Time to get to work! Have a few tough decisions to make.

Let the bribes start rolllliinngggg in!

I've said it before and I will say it again... #NoSorrysInAltShot. We got this brother.

Speaking like a politician, I support this message. That format can definitely test some partnerships. Especially when Philly V's partner gets out his 74 degree wedge to hit that flop shot we discussed before 100 feet in the air with a monster swing to land 1 foot below the hole.

In honor of Jordan Spieth shooting 79 yesterday and thus posting his worst rd ever since being a PGA Tour member and after almost winning 3 majors last year, a question came to mind that I think fits this Regional Rivalry competitors and hopefuls thread warrants.

First, I'd be really surprised if he played as poorly or even worse today. He was the absolute last person on the range last night. Knowing he needs to bounce right back and post a great number to get anywhere near making the cut....

For the Regional Rivalry, if you have an absolutely horrid round or match-

1: how will you stay in the moment still trying to help your teammates?

2: How / what will you do to bounce back and blow the doors off the next match / matches?

Look forward to the different responses from both teams!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do have a question for Ohio guys.

Since we have a self proclaimed buckeye on Team Michigan are we going to have to listen to you all whine again about how you loaned us players when we beat you?

Since we have a self proclaimed buckeye on Team Michigan are we going to have to listen to you all whine again about how you loaned us players when we beat you?
That's a pretty big assumption you're making there bud.

He ran out of Ohio long ago.

Bad shots happen, so do good ones.
I can't let one mistake compound into making more mistakes. I will slow down, take a breath, and hit the next shot to the best of my ability. That is all I can do, all my partners can ask of me, and it is what everyone should expect.
I will likewise support my teammates and yes fellow competitors as well.

2: How / what will you do to bounce back and blow the doors off the next match / matches?

Having confidence that I will be playing to my handicap, and plugging away and doing my best.
I will more than likely be getting strokes, and I love that. I feel the pressure is not on myself but my opponent. THEY have to make things happen, I don't! I just need to play my game, get up and down, roll the ball well and everything will take care of itself.
I've fought back in different formats with my captain when we both had doubts and were out of gas. We came back from 2 down after five (twice) in nine hole matches... Staying within ourselves, and playing solidly made that happen. I will draw on that to help me.

Bad shots happen, so do good ones.
I can't let one mistake compound into making more mistakes. I will slow down, take a breath, and hit the next shot to the best of my ability. That is all I can do, all my partners can ask of me, and it is what everyone should expect.
I will likewise support my teammates and yes fellow competitors as well.

Having confidence that I will be playing to my handicap, and plugging away and doing my best.
I will more than likely be getting strokes, and I love that. I feel the pressure is not on myself but my opponent. THEY have to make things happen, I don't! I just need to play my game, get up and down, roll the ball well and everything will take care of itself.
I've fought back in different formats with my captain when we both had doubts and were out of gas. We came back from 2 down after five (twice) in nine hole matches... Staying within ourselves, and playing solidly made that happen. I will draw on that to help me.
If theres anyone here not expecting to hit bad shots or have a bad hole they need to wake up. Bad golf happens to everyone. The best part about this is its match play. When the hole is over, its over. On to the next hole and another chance to pull yourself back into your match

In honor of Jordan Spieth shooting 79 yesterday and thus posting his worst rd ever since being a PGA Tour member and after almost winning 3 majors last year, a question came to mind that I think fits this Regional Rivalry competitors and hopefuls thread warrants.

First, I'd be really surprised if he played as poorly or even worse today. He was the absolute last person on the range last night. Knowing he needs to bounce right back and post a great number to get anywhere near making the cut....

1. The biggest thing is you always have to stay positive and keep grinding. If it is a certain part of your game that is struggling working with your partner you can try to game plan around what is struggling for you. Take alt shot for example. If I were to be struggling with 40 yard shots, on a par 5 you would want your partner to play to that. Have him either lay up to a better number or be sure he can get there if going for it is in the cards. It is a very fluid game plan and will always alter during the round.

2. Coming back for the next round/match is all about wiping the slate clean and keeping a poised mental state. The huge benefit of 9 hole matches is that you can approach the next 9 as a completely new round. It allows you to forget about past bad shots and move forward.

THP Regional Rivalry - Ohio vs Michigan - Sponsored By True Temper

If theres anyone here not expecting to hit bad shots or have a bad hole they need to wake up. Bad golf happens to everyone. The best part about this is its match play. When the hole is over, its over. On to the next hole and another chance to pull yourself back into your match

Totally Agree. But I don't think there's anyone here that thinks that they don't hit bad shots. That's a part of the game that makes it so awesome. One hole you **** the bed next....birdie. Same wi the matches. I like where ur heads at though and agree with ya

1. Just do my best to keep grinding and stay positive. The last thing any team member should do is mope and bring his teammates down as well.

2: Kind of the same as above. Just keep staying positive. I wouldnt try to make any drastic changes to my swing or anything because trying to do that while in the middle of a tournament is a recipe for disaster in my opinion. Sometimes in tournaments its important to slow yourself down a little too. Take a deep breath, focus, don't rush your approach, and start making it happen.

Totally Agree. But I don't think there's anyone here that thinks that they don't hit bad shots. That's a part of the game that makes it so awesome. One hole you **** the bed next....birdie. Same wi the matches. I like where ur heads at though and agree with ya

Ive played in a lot of different scenarios with thp events and gatherings. All of them have one common theme. Dont lose sight of the big picture...Having fun playing the game I love with great people of a common passion.

All I know is that if called on for Team Michigan, I will be there and bring my game. I will play my best and have as much fun as possible. Alternate shot doesn't scare me. People have told me that I am the most calm golfer they have played with. I could hit the drive of the day and follow it up with a chunked wedge shot into the green, but I wont let emotion overtake me. I don't get upset because all i should be focused on is what I have to do with my next shot to recover. I am in it for the fun, experience, friendships, and to play golf.

There is still that curve ball out there. I'm not sure I would consider anything during sign ups to be considered curve ball status, so maybe there is something tricky coming with the 3 captains picks.

Maybe I need to be focusing on impressing or not impressing jdtox

Back