steel to graphite ponder

AshMan

Passionate Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Super curious to find out about a switch to graphite shafts from steel.

Current are tm rcoketfuel 85 stiff and clubs are d3.5 swing weight.

Curious which graphite shafts would be kind of a match up to this. Was seeing multiple graphite shaft sets on the bay for a good price. And seriously pondering it. Almost considering buying a set of kuro kage, or TM OEM graphites in stiff or some others, can usually find a set of 8 for under $100, with as close to the weight as possible to my current setup, then buying a single 6 or 7 iron to take out and try to compare.

Sure I could go for another fitting, but my last fitting outcome was told I am stiff, Standard L/L/L, so pretty much any stiff of the shelf club works with my swing.

I don't hit my current clubs badly, but graphite has my curiosity peaked.

What do you think?

I am a huge recoil fan. Recoil 95 f4 would be close to your current shafts

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have the aerotech steel fibers 95g stiff in my Ping irons. I would highly recommend them. I have never hit recoils but from all I have read the aerotech steel fibers feel stiffer than the recoils.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

steel to graphite ponder

I would recommend trying to hit some graphite shafted irons before just taking the plunge. I moved to graphite because of my aches and pains. I ended up with Kuro Kage shafts as to me, they were the best feeling of the ones I tried. They are very different though. They are considerably lighter than my old dynamic gold heavyweights, and even just looking down and not seeing a shiny shaft with steps in it has taken some adjustment. I tried the recoils, but couldn't get on with them. Hit some and see what you think before potentially wasting your money.

Last edited:
for around $100.00 I would be willing to risk it, but was thinking of trying to find a matching 6 iron to my irons in graphite as a test club. I may go that route….

I seem to remember reading something about the weight of a graphite shaft does not swing the same as a steel shaft of the same weight.

Some chapter options are aldila nv, or vs proto. Kuro kage are decent in the 70-80 gram range. If you can, try demoing then first. Lighter graphite tend to launch pretty high. I'm playing orochi graphite in my jpx irons. Last set had fujikura pro 95.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

I seem to remember reading something about the weight of a graphite shaft does not swing the same as a steel shaft of the same weight.
This is correct. Balance points are different with each. This is also why many graphite sets are 1/2" longer to get closer to normal swing weights

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

For me it all comes down to tempo! If the shafts I use gets to light I typically struggle with my tempo because I can't feel the club head during my swing. Just a thought!

I cannot recommend this enough. I have absolutely loved my Recoils, and have had good luck with the Fujikura MCI shafts as well. I don't think you will look back after switching to a high quality iron shaft replacement.

For me it all comes down to tempo! If the shafts I use gets to light I typically struggle with my tempo because I can't feel the club head during my swing. Just a thought!

Luckily, graphite doesn't have to mean lighter anymore in iron shafts. Matrix, UST, Fuji, all have heavier graphite options....and they're awesome.

I switched to graphite a few years ago and am pretty glad I did. Feel and dispersion have been much better for me with Recoils.

Hey guys, on the same topic of graphite pondering for me here. I currently play DG S300 in my irons and am looking at re-shafting. My irons need to be re-done as I had extensions put in as when originally "custom" fitted, they were too short. Yes I have been back and rechecked and they were about an inch too short. As the extensions had to be put in, I can hear and feel the extensions twisting through the swing a bit.

I enjoy the S300's, although I have a very high ball flight. It's not bad, as I can stop 4 or 5 irons onto greens easily with the height, but in wind it is a nightmare to try and flight them down :( So, what would a comparable shaft be in the graphite options? I did the shaft fit tool on UST Mamiya site and they are coming up with Recoil 125's in Stiff. What other options are there around?
Cheers,

Feeling the club head is a product of swing weight, not product weight though.
The crazy part is, the lighter the shaft, the more you would actually feel the club head in theory, since you would no longer feel the shaft.

Hey guys, on the same topic of graphite pondering for me here. I currently play DG S300 in my irons and am looking at re-shafting. My irons need to be re-done as I had extensions put in as when originally "custom" fitted, they were too short. Yes I have been back and rechecked and they were about an inch too short. As the extensions had to be put in, I can hear and feel the extensions twisting through the swing a bit.

I enjoy the S300's, although I have a very high ball flight. It's not bad, as I can stop 4 or 5 irons onto greens easily with the height, but in wind it is a nightmare to try and flight them down :( So, what would a comparable shaft be in the graphite options? I did the shaft fit tool on UST Mamiya site and they are coming up with Recoil 125's in Stiff. What other options are there around?
Cheers,

Jman pointed out some other options a couple posts earlier... Check out Matrix shafts, Fujikura, and also Aerotech. Obviously, you've already done a little research into the UST Mamiya options.

There are also forum threads for most of the graphite iron shaft options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll vouch for the Matrix Ozik Program shafts.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I think I should find a matching 6 iron to mine in graphite and do some tests to see how I like it. works case is I don't and I flip it back over on the bay.

I was thinking of trying to do this on the low end price wise unless I was sure it would work.

Back