The fun just doesn't stop ... our oldest has to have another ear surgery, and tonsillectomy & adenoids removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trifecta! Oh man that's brutal, I'll be praying for you guys

The fun just doesn't stop ... our oldest has to have another ear surgery, and tonsillectomy & adenoids removed.
Ouch. I hope all turns out well for all of you.

My son had the worst day of his life playing sports yesterday during baseball try outs. It was extremely painful to watch. I asked him if he tried his best (yes) then gave him a big hug, told him I loved him and that doing your best is all you can ever do. Unless his prior coach picks him based on prior experience with him he's not going to be playing baseball this year, which sucks for him.

Got the call tonight - he made it on a team. He literally jumped for joy and yelled "yes!" when I told him. He knew he bombed and was expecting the worst. It was great seeing that reaction. My relief is being replaced by happiness.

Got the call tonight - he made it on a team. He literally jumped for joy and yelled "yes!" when I told him. He knew he bombed and was expecting the worst. It was great seeing that reaction. My relief is being replaced by happiness.

AWESOME!!!

My daughter has friends over for her birthday. We went out for pizza and are now back at our place for the girl's slumber party. They are making slime and eating brownies. These are the good times.

Also, it is a trip seeing girls interact socially with each other. They are different animals than boys, that's for damn sure :)

Mom is out of town, so it's me and my 3 year old daughter all weekend. We're watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse right now, then a road trip to my parents for the morning so she can hopefully get worn out playing with her cousins. These daddy-daughter weekends are fun, but I think they wear me out more than her. I have serious amounts of respect for single parents who do this on their own day in and day out.

Mom is out of town, so it's me and my 3 year old daughter all weekend. We're watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse right now, then a road trip to my parents for the morning so she can hopefully get worn out playing with her cousins. These daddy-daughter weekends are fun, but I think they wear me out more than her. I have serious amounts of respect for single parents who do this on their own day in and day out.

I'm in the same boat this weekend. Last night I took her to a USHL hockey game. This morning we went out for pancakes on the way up to the cabin. The rest of the weekend is going to be filled with snowmen and hot chocolate (and My Little Pony).

Definite props to single parents everywhere!

I don't know if this should have its own thread, but my assistant principal emailed this link to us & I immediately thought of posting it here. Just some food for thought:

[h=2]Declining Student Resilience: A Serious Problem for Colleges[/h]The comments are also worth reading. This is not just a high school/college problem.

There are lots of factors involved in what's happening to kids not being resilient. As a parent you have to decide what's best for your kids. But if there is one character trait I'd want in my kids, resiliency or perseverance is right at the top of my list.

I know from my own experience that there are just not that many of my students who are willing to do whatever it takes to master material. They prefer to give up over working hard. And there are a lot of families who have taught their kids that intelligence is something you're born with, so they see no cause-and-effect between hard work & success .

Parenting Thread

My son: "What's that?"
Me: "Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition. Once a year they show a bunch of pictures of pretty girls in bikinis" (as I hold open the magazine showing pictures of two girls). Pretty cool, huh"
My son: (staring and processing) "uh huh"

Oh to be 11 again...

Last edited:

Glad to hear it! Do they actually have kids that don't get to play? In our local city league, I don't think there are any cuts - the coaches have a draft to even out the talent, but everyone who signs up gets put on a team. Now with travel ball, obviously, kids get cut from those teams.

Glad to hear it! Do they actually have kids that don't get to play? In our local city league, I don't think there are any cuts - the coaches have a draft to even out the talent, but everyone who signs up gets put on a team. Now with travel ball, obviously, kids get cut from those teams.

Thanks. Yes, kids are cut from our local regular LL teams.

My son: "What's that?"
Me: "Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition. Once a year they show a bunch of pictures of pretty girls in bikinis" (as I hold open the magazine showing pictures of two girls). Pretty cool, huh"
My son: (staring and processing) "uh huh"

Oh to be 11 again...

SI swimsuit issue day was one of the best days of the year for me when I was 12 through 15.

Then the Victoria's Secret catalogue came into my life...

SI swimsuit issue day was one of the best days of the year for me when I was 12 through 15.

Then the Victoria's Secret catalogue came into my life...

That just got a chuckle from the guys around the fire pit.

That just got a chuckle from the guys around the fire pit.

I'm sure they all remember that day fondly as well :D

Spent the entire day volunteering at my daughter's high school for their indoor percussion show. 5 hours outside directing trucks and busses where to park, then 4 hours inside helping sign in units and get them to their assigned warm up spots. I enjoy volunteering and helping the program out, the parents who run it are great and I love all the kids there, but man do I wish other parents would step up. Emails go out all the time looking for help, and it drives me nuts to see the same parents showing up to watch the show and hang out, but not do anything to actually help out. No reason some parents should have to work 10-12 hours straight with only a 20 min break to see their kids perform.

Are we over doing the activities for kids these days? I have friends who's lives are, literally, over run by their kids activities. I understand that kids need stimulation. Creative and physical activities are beneficial, but to what end? If you're kid isn't exceptional at an activity, is it worth having them in 3 hour practice sessions 5 times a week? Is it worth sacrificing any hint of a social life for parents? My friends lood at me like I'm a selfish prick when I suggest that perhaps it's a bit much. I'd like all my kids to take up some kind of musical instrument, I'd LOVE for them to take up golf, and maybe some other sports like tennis and soccer. I'd give up my life for my kids, but am I the only one who sees the silliness in parents who exist to just chauffeur ther kids from one freaking activity to another, to another, to another, 7 days a week? Can't kids just taketheir bikes and go get lost, and find their way back? Go to the lake or city pool and swim? Hang out with friends and make imaginary weapons out of rope and tree branches? I don't think a 4 year olds soccer game is a legitimate reason to miss a family function.

Maybe I'm nuts. Maybe I drank too much tonight or maybe I'm just an a$$hole.

I don't think you're wrong. I think there are a lot of parent are living vicariously through their children. There has to be some thine for them to be kids, they need time to just play. Last year I told my daughter she had to have a physical, guided activity of some sort. So one day a week she does tumbling. She chose to be in the school play, and she's on student council. Total extra-curricular time about 4 hours. I think she's pushing it. I know there are some kids who really enjoy some of the competition but I wonder how much added stress is put on mom and dad trying to juggle homework time, driving time, dinner, practice etc. that just isn't needed. I know some parents really define their lives as "being a soccer mom". I don't get it, I'm a dad and proud to be one, but I'm still me as well, I have time with my daughter, and ferry her around some, but I still have date nights with my wife, and time to go golfing, or just go hang out and drink a beer with friends. My wife has that same time. I think people forget that one day the kids will be gone, then what do you do? How do you identify as a person when "soccer mom" isn't an option? Helicopter mom annoying the university professors?

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

For those that are overly involved in making sure your children are active to the point that your sacrificing everything else. What happens nice they leave for college, or move out to start their own lives? Will you know your spouse? Will you have the same interests still. While your guiding and steering your young child through life for 18-20 years you your self are growing and changing. Will you know the person you crested these children with? Or will you find a very lonely place with this kids gone and living with a person you don't really even know anymore.

Just a thought.

I know for a fact there are parents who push their kids into these activities because I've got some of them on the hoops team I coach. It's stupid. But there's more to the story than just over bearing parents. If you have 2 kids and they both want to play sports you either tell them no or you are looking at an overly full schedule of driving kids around.

Last edited:
Mr V and I are having a serious #3 discussion right now.
Bold move. I'm always in awe of all the wonderful parents who go with bigger families because I can barely handle 2.

Having a third made me realize how perfect 2 is.

It's tough. Even tougher if they are all young and close in age.

Tell him how much LESS he will be able to enjoy THP.

Tell him how much LESS he will be able to enjoy THP.

Lol our discussion ended in a no. Neither of us are wanting to give up the extra's. Some may call it selfish, but we are calling it smart!

Back