Woodworking / Furniture Building

Probably something wiped on. I'll get a couple scraps and try a few different things and see what looks best.

The last curly maple piece I did I dyed a deep brown color before topcoat:

IMG_5392.jpg

But I'm leaning toward natural for this one.
Transtint is the only product I use these days. Would rather dye than stain, especially figured wood. Then a gel poly top coat. No runs,drips or errors.

That was Transtint. I dissolved it in alcohol, mainly because I wanted to avoid the prep work raising the grain with water. You have to work quickly but it's not too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was Transtint. I dissolved it in alcohol, mainly because I wanted to avoid the prep work raising the grain with water. You have to work quickly but it's not too bad.

Agreed:act-up:. Denatured alcohol. No grain raising. Never floated it in water, but they say you can. I like the longer open time. That stuff is pricey, but a little goes a long way especially when you mix colors. I have several jars of different colors leftover from various projects, it's fun to experiment with mixing. That is a very pretty chest by the way, you do fine work.

Agreed:act-up:. Denatured alcohol. No grain raising. Never floated it in water, but they say you can. I like the longer open time. That stuff is pricey, but a little goes a long way especially when you mix colors. I have several jars of different colors leftover from various projects, it's fun to experiment with mixing. That is a very pretty chest by the way, you do fine work.

Thank you. That was the result of a week-long class I took at a furniture shop not too far from the house here. The card table I posted up earlier in the thread is another. I try to take one every few years to pick up a new skill - I'm thinking my next is going to be some kind of federal piece to get stringing/inlay down. I could jump into one of Rob Millard's classes, but then I would have to go to Ohio. And who wants to do that? :alien:

For those interested, a few more shop pics. It's a small space, but I'm proud of it.

Really nice shop! What size is it? I'm so jealous - I have a part of a basement but it's not very big. I'm constantly moving crap around so I can use my saw, & I have no dust removal system (which I'd love, but not sure I have room for any of it).

Was he planning on making acoustic guitar bodies with it? I like the warmth of HM on an acoustic, it's a common wood used by luthiers.
Ironically, the place I bought it from now just specializes in exotic woods for instruments - http://www.hibdonhardwood.com/

Up until a few months ago, they were the exotic hardwood source in St. Louis and the surrounding area. Unfortunately it became extremely difficult for furniture makers to sell solid hardwood pieces made with exotics that can range up to $75/BF. No one wants to pay major $$$$ for quality, hand-made items so Hibdon's market dried up.

I've heard it myself. I built a beautiful blanket chest years ago and someone asked me to quote building him one. When I gave him the number, he about pooped his pants - I could not even buy the wood as cheap as he expected to pay for it. His response was "how can you be so high when I can buy a similar one at Weekends Only furniture for $149?" My answer was that the $149 one is mass produced in China and made of particle boards covered in veneers. The "Cedar Lining" is actually 1/32 veneers. It's hard to sell a quality piece that will last for generations when someone sees the disposable furniture at discount furniture stores selling for a fraction of the cost I can make it for.

Ironically, the place I bought it from now just specializes in exotic woods for instruments - http://www.hibdonhardwood.com/

Up until a few months ago, they were the exotic hardwood source in St. Louis and the surrounding area. Unfortunately it became extremely difficult for furniture makers to sell solid hardwood pieces made with exotics that can range up to $75/BF. No one wants to pay major $$$$ for quality, hand-made items so Hibdon's market dried up.

I've heard it myself. I built a beautiful blanket chest years ago and someone asked me to quote building him one. When I gave him the number, he about pooped his pants - I could not even buy the wood as cheap as he expected to pay for it. His response was "how can you be so high when I can buy a similar one at Weekends Only furniture for $149?" My answer was that the $149 one is mass produced in China and made of particle boards covered in veneers. The "Cedar Lining" is actually 1/32 veneers. It's hard to sell a quality piece that will last for generations when someone sees the disposable furniture at discount furniture stores selling for a fraction of the cost I can make it for.

Truth. There are some folks that are willing to pay for quality, handmade furniture. But they are getting fewer and farther between. A chest of drawers for $3000 is a tough sell when one can buy an entire bedroom suite mass produced by slave wage labor for less than half that. But it's a good bet that their grandchildren won't be fighting over that bedroom suite since it probably won't last that long.

I live this issue everyday. People want high quality at mass produced pricing. In my business it can be really tough. But I laugh when I lose bids then drive by and see what they ended up with.

Really nice shop! What size is it? I'm so jealous - I have a part of a basement but it's not very big. I'm constantly moving crap around so I can use my saw, & I have no dust removal system (which I'd love, but not sure I have room for any of it).

It's 22x24. It has a vaulted ceiling with 4 skylights so it kind of feels bigger than it is and it doesn't feel too stuffy. I wish I had the room to go to 30' when I built it, could have made that a finishing room. Maybe next time. Oh and thanks for the kind words.

Truth. There are some folks that are willing to pay for quality, handmade furniture. But they are getting fewer and farther between. A chest of drawers for $3000 is a tough sell when one can buy an entire bedroom suite mass produced by slave wage labor for less than half that. But it's a good bet that their grandchildren won't be fighting over that bedroom suite since it probably won't last that long.
Our dining room table is as old as our house which was built in 1917. We also have a few things in storage that will eventually get used when we move to a bigger house. It amazes me how good stuff built over 100 years ago looks compared to what I see today. It may not look trendy but its classical, timeless pieces that never go out of style.

I hear ya, I think every custom furniture maker has that same problem. That's why I rarely go to peoples homes anymore when I quote. I have them come to my house so they can see the shop and realize I am not a production facility, just a one man operation.

I tell people up front that I am expensive. If they are looking for heirloom quality, they are going to have to pay for it. I don't mind meeting people somewhere in the middle on price if it's something I really want to build, but at the same time I can't invest 2 months of free time for nothing.

I got lucky before the recession, A local designer saw a piece of furniture I built from a photo that was hanging up at the local woodcraft. She contacted me about a custom home office her client wanted commissioned and set up an interview. I bid and won the job. It took nearly the entire winter to build but it came out fantastic. I made some nice scratch and they actually had me build them a full wall entertainment center too. That led to more work just by word of mouth. After a while I had to just stop because I had no free time. Now I just build a couple of small pieces each year, I get to pick and choose. Plus whatever my wife or friends want. My point is, once you get into a certain clientele that realize the costs involved, the lowballing kind of stops. It's great when they agree to whatever number you throw out there. I have always been fair though and never tried to take advantage.

Thank you. That was the result of a week-long class I took at a furniture shop not too far from the house here. The card table I posted up earlier in the thread is another. I try to take one every few years to pick up a new skill - I'm thinking my next is going to be some kind of federal piece to get stringing/inlay down. I could jump into one of Rob Millard's classes, but then I would have to go to Ohio. And who wants to do that? :alien:

I'd like to take classes too one day, maybe when I retire. I went to trade school during high school, BOCES, that was a fun experience, learned carpentry in general. Dad was a WW so it came naturally to me. It wasn't until I started reading about it that I really understood the finer points of wood. I always took books out of the library about wood, subscribed to a bunch of magazines, tried different plans, etc. Classes would be fun just to interact with like minded people. The local woodcraft has a yearly guitar building workshop that I missed out on the last couple of years. Since I play the instrument, I always wanted to build one. I may try and sign up for that class.

I'd like to take classes too one day, maybe when I retire. I went to trade school during high school, BOCES, that was a fun experience, learned carpentry in general. Dad was a WW so it came naturally to me. It wasn't until I started reading about it that I really understood the finer points of wood. I always took books out of the library about wood, subscribed to a bunch of magazines, tried different plans, etc. Classes would be fun just to interact with like minded people. The local woodcraft has a yearly guitar building workshop that I missed out on the last couple of years. Since I play the instrument, I always wanted to build one. I may try and sign up for that class.

I assume you've seen the Grizzly catalog then? Might be enough there to do it without the class.

I assume you've seen the Grizzly catalog then? Might be enough there to do it without the class.

Yes, I have. Now that's a great catalog!!!! I just think doing it in a class with a trained instructor and a few like minded people would be a fun experience. Plus I know the guitar is decent quality too. They have one in the store and I pick it up every time I go in there, tune it, play the requisite Stairway to Heaven into and move on to the toys.

Where is there a grizzly store near us?

I think they are based out of PA. I don't know if they have stores out of state. They do have pretty big tent sale events. Since you are neighbors, it may not be that far of a trip for you.

I think they are based out of PA. I don't know if they have stores out of state. They do have pretty big tent sale events. Since you are neighbors, it may not be that far of a trip for you.

The store up in Muncy PA closed down last fall. I thought maybe there was a store down this way,. I think everything is being handled out the facilities out west now.

The store up in Muncy PA closed down last fall. I thought maybe there was a store down this way,. I think everything is being handled out the facilities out west now.

That sucks. I have never been there, but always wanted to make the trip. Should have done it 2 years ago when we went to Lancaster. Bummer.

3ae1da5484c1554ace93d50856824db5.jpg

Well I finally broke down and got the drawer pulls installed and can claim victory. Now the real challenge begins: finding a place to put it.

I got a perfect place for it ... my house! Nice work dude! You do some fine work there good sir :clapp:

That sucks. I have never been there, but always wanted to make the trip. Should have done it 2 years ago when we went to Lancaster. Bummer.

It was a very cool store! My cabin is about an hour north of there so I would stop iin a dream of toys to buy

It was a very cool store! My cabin is about an hour north of there so I would stop iin a dream of toys to buy

Yeah, they make a nice affordable product. I would own a Grizzly before I ever bought another Craftsmen tool. That's just me though, I don't want to offend any Sears diehards. Get it? Diehards? Sorry. I'm out. skipping work a little early and going to tee it up. Have a good one.

Mesamann777 & JohnsInVA ... that is some very nice work indeed! I may have to hire one of you for a project that my wife wants. Nice wood working shops as well .... John you could use a maid but that's OK, you get a pass cause you do good work so I'm sure your wife leaves you alone while in the shop :banana:

I think he's referring to his local woodcraft - they have a guitar building class in store.

Back