Do You Throw, Toss or Slam Your Clubs?

I have a friend in my regular foursome who is a club throwing machine. We know it's coming, and will just enjoy the spectacle.

In my young days I could chuck'em with the best, known to get 70+ yards on the fly. Probably been 25 years since I threw one now.

25 or so years ago. It was a 36 hole tournament, second day - my approach to the par 5 1st hole must have hit a greenside sprinkler, because it wound up 40 yards long in the woods - triple bogey. Two 3 jacks later, I am on the fourth in the trees, when my 4 iron escape didn't escape. Already like 5 over, I was steaming, and threw my cap on the ground and wore it out with that 4 iron. Ripped up, I put it away - but by the 11th hole or so I realized my noggin was getting fried, so I pulled out the cap and tied it back somewhat together with some vine and finished my round wearing it - I shot 75-94. That night I sewed the back of the white hat back together, and put a green iron-on patch over the hole in front, and cut out a blue '94' and ironed that on the patch. I wore that hat the rest of the season, and have never lost my temper on the course since the tawdry display I gave that day.

At the CC i was a part of a guy hit a bad shot, got frustrated and threw his wedge. It never fell back down from the tree.

He stands under the tree, unable to reach it.

He decides to throw another club up to free his wedge.

The club came down and hit him in the face.

I have thrown a ball into the water hazard after hacking out a 10. It was the ball because I pured the next shot.

I haven't thrown a club in about 20 years, not that I haven't wanted to on occasion. I was paired with a guy last year that threw a club at last 5 times. He snapped shafts on two clubs. He just shrugged it off and said his pro shop was used to reshafting clubs for him. He acted like a spoiled child the entire round. His expectations were far higher than his skill. He should have spent some of his reshafting money on lessons.

I do a toss every now and then. But it's not out of anger or frustration. I do it to get a club I used to chip with closer to my bag if it is a bit a ways from the green... kinda like a time-saver, not having to walk to my bag. I also only do it if I know the spot I was in isn't in direct line with the hole and my bag -- so as to reduce any chances of leaving it behind.

Ironically, I make sure I don't toss it when I am angry or frustrated -- I might end up doing a Judge Smails. That's when I walk it to the bag. I use the extra time to compose myself before standing over the putt.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

I've been young and angry, lifes not worth acting like that anymore. I just laugh and tell myself that I suck now.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Throwing and tossing? No. But I am guilty of an occasional slam on the club head down on the ground. Usually followed immediately by remorse of doing so.

A few years ago I would be guilty of tossing my club in frustration but I've learned quickly that it is completely uncalled for. I still get frustrated at times but I end up laughing it off just to ease my own anguish lol.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Never thrown/tossed clubs. I can probably think of 2-3 times I slammed in iron into the turf - and felt embarrassed & immature afterwards

Not really. If I perform the hack job chip or two around the green I may toss the wedge towards the cart but I've never straight up thrown a club. I usually try to keep my frustration in check and take it out on the next tee shot

I'll very very occasionally tomahawk a club. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

A family friend of my father's when I was growing up ... he used to helicopter a few a round. A few times I remember him throwing the club "towards" the golf cart after a poor shot. A few times more than not, he hit the club up against the cart and the club broke in half or the head broke off. He would have new clubs every time I turned around cause he broke them all. Very funny actually now that I look back on it.

Not my style. I've paid too much for my equipment to toss it around. Plus I always keep in mind that I'm not being paid to play golf. But I have seen it done a few times at a few courses.

I have thrown a ball into the water hazard after hacking out a 10. It was the ball because I pured the next shot.

I will do that to a ball that has lost it's touch as well! Stupid ball.

I have been guilty of sticking the blade end of the club in the ground once or twice....put I haven't done that in along time

Nope, decided long ago that I'm not good enough to get mad about golf.

I let the club (normally driver) fall out ot my hands in the follow through after a really bad swing a few times in the past. But since I enjoy beiing a young father things got a different perspective and I'm much more relaxed on the course.

A couple of years ago I was having a terrible round. I sliced a 7i into the trees and proceeded to break it over my knee. I was so embarrassed by my actions I decided that I'd never loose it like that again. Since I've taken a more zen approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every once in a while when everything is going absolutely wrong I may have thrown a club. Should I do it absolutely not, but it happens. So now what I try to do is say a couple of choice words under my breath, take a couple moments to vent and then get to my next shot and get on with my round.

Played with someone last week (not a THPer) that was not a real angry guy, but once in a while would get frustrated and toss his clubs (some would call it a throw). Im not a guy that does that, so it got me wondering how many do?

In the past I have on rare occasions slammed a club, but I've never thrown one. Any more I don't do any of those. Just isn't worth it, and nobody likes playing with "that guy". About the most demonstrative I'll get these days is to say "Nice shot stupid!"

Huh .... what for ?? I just take a deep breath and promised myself to do better swing or perfect swing for the next.

I think it was the "King" who said his dad saw him throw a club once and told him if he did it again it would be his last day playing golf. I am paraphrasing. Same situation with me when I was a kid starting out, although my Dad just had to give me the Dad "Look" that said way more than any words. I never threw another club again. Intentionally that is. They have literally slipped from my hand in wet conditions. I blame Noonon for not using stickem' on my grip.

Back