TaylorMade M2 Driver Review Thread

Question for those that are not finding this forgiving due a low heel miss.

How low on the heel are you missing to get penalized so much? If you split the club face into six equal quadrants, is it just in that lower heel area? Or is middle heel also greatly penalized for you?

I've found the M2 extremely forgiving, but my miss is high on the toe, so the low heel isn't a miss I take into consideration.

Just putting it through its paces.

I had similar growing pains with the SLDR. While the SLDR is much different, I was finally able to settle in with it and game it very well.

Its what THP is all about. Regular golfers getting a chance to test and review equipment. There is no doubt you have put this thru a test and the updates are great

Aldila NV 2kxv Orange showed up a day early so I'll be trying it out on the range in a few hours then followed by 18. Looking forward to seeing how it pairs with the M2

Gaming the M2 irons. 4-AW is this the thread I should post my comments on? Or is this for the driver only? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Nice pics! I had the chance to hit this driver the other day at least 20 times at GolfSmith, while I was testing used drivers, that fit my budget currently. Let me tell you, if on that day and way the simulator was reading my drives, my average drive with my old Callaway was 250, The M2 increased that to about 290. Fell in love with it on the spot.

Question for those that are not finding this forgiving due a low heel miss.

How low on the heel are you missing to get penalized so much? If you split the club face into six equal quadrants, is it just in that lower heel area? Or is middle heel also greatly penalized for you?

I've found the M2 extremely forgiving, but my miss is high on the toe, so the low heel isn't a miss I take into consideration.
Low on the heel is where I see the issue.

As I have said a couple of times, that miss out on the toe isnt penalizing at all, it's just toward the inside of the club head that causes some issues.

Gaming the M2 irons. 4-AW is this the thread I should post my comments on? Or is this for the driver only? Thanks

I only remember seeing the official preview thread for the irons. It's stuck over in the 'golf talk' sub forum for some reason and should probably be moved into this sub forum so more folks find the iron discussions. I'd say it would probably be best to post your M2 iron thoughts here - http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?78167-TaylorMade-M2-Irons-Preview so they don't get lost in the driver discussion.

I was able to play a quick 9 after work and my disappointing lunch session and it was like night and day. Was either down the fairway or just off on the majority of my drives, setting myself up with short irons into the green. My buddy who I played with even commented how on my driving was and even on a miss was further than him. Can't wait to get it out again.

As I have said a couple of times, that miss out on the toe isnt penalizing at all, it's just toward the inside of the club head that causes some issues.

I have found this to be the case as well. It's like night and day.

Yep, the high toe miss is very forgiving. It's a bummer that the low heel miss is so penalizing, as it's a great club otherwise.

Not sure I understand how you set a 10.5* head at 10.25*. Please explain......

Thank you
LB

Made a mistake it was set to 10, not 10.25.

You are able to adjust the loft in .5 increments on the hosel adapter up to 2 degrees in either direction. You do this by loosening the head with the wrench provided at purchase:

Man just when I thought the XR16 wins my driver battle do things change. Played 36 yesterday, made a shaft change and missed 3 FW's all day. Ah, decisions, decisions, decisions ......

I think what keeps bringing me back to the M2 again and again are 2 factors - look and sound. Simply love this look, how it frames the ball, just sexy to my eye while the sound is classic TM, it invokes memories of great drivers they made in the past, simply nailed it.

Will have the M2 with more tomorrow with a group of THPers. Will hopefully get it in the hands of a good bit of them to get some thoughts on this one, as well as more time on the flightscope to catch some raw data.

Letting a lot of THPers try this one on the range and getting it on the flight scope.

Will go in to detail more later, but want to share this...

X.Man is crushing this driver. Hitting center of the face, he was carrying it 273 yards and total of 303 yards.

His next shot was off the heel, 236 yards carry and 262 yards total.

To say that the heel miss isn't penalizing is absurd. I've never seen any driver be so drastic wth a slight heel miss.

Letting a lot of THPers try this one on the range and getting it on the flight scope.

X.Man is crushing this driver. Hitting center of the face, he was carrying it 273 yards and total of 303 yards.

To say that the heel miss isn't penalizing is absurd. I've never seen any driver be so drastic wth a slight heel miss.

I played golf with Dana Quiqley a few years back and I was complaining about the distance loss on several heel shots, his pearls of wisdom "don't miss it there then"

I played golf with Dana Quiqley a few years back and I was complaining about the distance loss on several heel shots, his pearls of wisdom "don't miss it there then"
We could say "just don't miss" about everything, the point is there are several different drivers who react to that miss, and the low miss in general, exponentially better. If it's where your miss is, it kills this driver, kills it.

We could say "just don't miss" about everything, the point is there are several different drivers who react to that miss, and the low miss in general, exponentially better. If it's where your miss is, it kills this driver, kills it.

That was meant to be humor

That's a 13.5% reduction in carry and total distance. What are the retention numbers for drivers that tend to lead in the forgiveness category?

I may have missed this in another post, but what has been the general miss with the heel shots outside of just being short?

That's a 13.5% reduction in carry and total distance. What are the retention numbers for drivers that tend to lead in the forgiveness category?

This would be great info! A comparison to see if it really is more drastic would be awesome! I bet we get some.

This would be great info! A comparison to see if it really is more drastic would be awesome! I bet we get some.
I'll have to funnel through data later but I'll put it this way, in all the drivers I have tested and reviewed, all of them, none have had this type of drop-off on a heel miss. None. I think that stands for something.

This comes back again to TMs need to evolve their face tech imo. The design is SUCH a massive step in the right direction for them, and I'd a solid head if you don't miss low or inside, but the face tech is simply outpaced by others in its ability to retain ball speed on misses.

This isn't a new issue for them. I thought the heel miss on the R15 was pretty bad. On othe other hand compare the toe miss to the SLDR and they have made huge improvements.

thats a big difference. That some good info to give detail on the penalization for that miss

Back