The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a great range session this morning. Today's goal was just an all around knock the rust off, AW through Driver (no short game work today with wedges or putter). My focus was tempo and proper posture, just wanting to get good contact. Spent about an hour on the irons, working down to my 3H. Decided to skip 3W today and go to my driver (GBB). I had currently been trying out the Oban Hashimoto shaft, with mixed results. But, its the start of the season, so I wanted to test it at the range before making judgements. Hit about 10 drives with it, just didn't feel quite right, so I put the Evo Speeder 665 (shaft I was fit for, duh) back in, and it was night and day difference. 10 drives in a row dead straight, high and far. Same as what I was seeing in December at ECPC and The Hideaway. I was pretty happy at this point, and had about 20 balls left, decided to hit the sand trap for some bunker practice. Working on the technique's Roger Cleveland showed us, I did not have one bad shot out of the 20. I've never been one to feel comfortable in bunkers, but right now my confidence in them is sky high. Super stoked the weather is finally getting good around here and I'll be getting out much more to practice.

Wait until you hit 50+. I'll give you a hint: it doesn't get better. I sound like bubble wrap being stepped on when starting out the day.
Amen brother.

Spent 2 hours on the end of the range. Focusing on just 1 thing the entire time, pulling with my lead hand. I get handsey sometimes and will hit high push shots when my right hand takes over. I was delivering the club much better and the swing thought seemed to help my sequence. I simulated 2 rounds and shot even par both times:act-up:. Kidding of course, but a productive session on a nice morning.

I never threw a club in my life until yeaterday on the range.Was so upset and dejected that I almost quit on the spot.If i didn't have a lesson scheduled this morning I think this would've been my last swings-whiffs at a ball.My pro is a complete golf teaching genius.In 5 swings he changed my 17 degree inside out path slice pusher.The 6 th swing was inside out 5 degree with a baby power draw.The rest followed suit,was so happy i could've cried from shear build up of frustration.A simple re understanding of how he wants me to pivot the body did it all.Not convinced it is ingrained,but he gave me a super easy drill to train with until our lesson Wednesday

Amen brother.

I don't know if my body hurts more b4 or after a round. After the pau hana beers in the parking lot, my back tightens up pretty good, and my right shoulder has pain.

For most of my bucket at the range things were marvelously straight but my distances were very weird. I was hitting my 8i a full club long, 6i proper distance but all scoring clubs - 9i through lob wedge - at least one club short. Because I am so bright it only took me the whole bucket to figure out that I was not covering the ball through impact and my posture sucked. I made some adjustments there and gained 10 yards with my nine iron immediately. I hit 6 or 7 balls in a row very nicely, decoded to leave on a high note and gave my last 15 balls to a dad with his 6 year old son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't know if my body hurts more b4 or after a round. After the pau hana beers in the parking lot, my back tightens up pretty good, and my right shoulder has pain.
Well, look at the bright side, at least your in Hawaii. There are worse places to be. :act-up:I do know what your saying, before the round is usually much worse for me, but sometimes after 27 or 36, I'm hurting pretty good. Advil is my friend.

Lot's of extra putting and chipping after the round today to get ready for Kevin next week!

Tempted to nuke my entire swing and start over before I get in too deep this season. Going to by that drive 4 dough video, hopefully it clicks assuming I put in the work.

Due to elbow issues I have been avoiding ranges with mats which happens to be most of them so I haven't been practicing much and it's showing. Time to get to work and get some consistent results. A two way miss is disaster

I made a couple of really beneficial changes after GoPro'ing swings friday, but it's going to add a handful of strokes onto my card for the next few rounds I'm sure. Some going a bit too long, some hanging a bit too right... I'm not mad and am really excited about the lower flighting I am getting, but hate that golf takes before it gives when trying to improve.

Went for a late night range session with a friend in the lights.Im hitting beautiful draws with every darn club in the bag.My friend couldn't believe I'm the same golfer from a few weeks ago.Easily 2 clubs longer and 30 yards more with the driver.My pro is a freaking magician-genius.One simple drill got me in a better spot to hit the ball.Showed my buddy and was working for him as well.So so simple to draw the ball with no effort

cant wait for the next lesson Wednesday.So close to quitting 24 hrs ago

range session yesterday. Worked my way through the bag but focused most of the time on the driver swing that had abanadoned me last week. I think I have the biggest problem worked out, but still need to figure out how to get started with the lower body consistently enough to avoid the OTT that resulted in several pulls. Maybe professional help is needed ASAP.

Someone got half a free bucket today, my wife called halfway through my session to let me know she locked herself out of the house.

Hit wedges and 9i-7i just working on turning into my right thigh to stay centered. Hit some solid shots with good height and one nice straight driver before I had to go.

Still mats though, bleh. Grass won't be opened for at least another few weeks at that range, per the kid working the counter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Showed up an hour before my round to get acquainted with my new Cure RXi putter. Not sure how I feel about this one yet, sound isn't my favorite, and the ball doesn't seem to consistently roll off the face. I'll be giving it some more attention tomorrow before my round, after that I'll make a decision what to do.

I played today as a single, then later joined in with a group on 7th hole. Went from the blue tees up to the whites. But this is honestly the first time in like forever I played course management style golf. I felt like I was in more control of my game than ever. Got on a bogey train in the middle of the round when I joined the group. Some of that was distraction, and some of that was poor execution. A lot of the things I've been working really showed up well. Some needs more work. But I felt like I kept it in front of me,and more importantly me out of the way for the most part

Had a pretty decent session at the range today. Still a little loose with the wedges, but looking back 6 weeks ago I've come a long ways. Full swing felt good and I didn't really spend much time working on it. I did spend some time with hitting more deliberate and flighted shots to the 140-170 ranges. More work to do there, but I'm starting to really feel in control of my golf swing. Scary I know!

Small bucket today, but it was a good one. Irons were crisp and my misses were thin, which is good as I'm not hitting 2" behind the ball working on my weight shift.

Driver was fantastic today. Ballflight ranged from slight draw to straight to slight push, which means I'm finally HOPEFULLY getting rid of my OTT move. Feels like all the work I've been putting into my backswing and downswing weight shift is starting to pay off, which is exciting. Hoping to hit a par 3 later this week to work on my short game and see if the solid iron strikes continue.

After a good workout tonight at the gym, I made to the range for a large bucket. Sticking to my recent approach, it was about 100 balls with my 8 iron. Again focused on the swing changes Erika has me making and also maintaining a nice tempo. Focused on one flag about 175 yards and tried to stay withing 10 yard radius of the flag.

Overall the ball striking was good and really liked the tempo I imaintained throughout the session. Kept seeing a nice high ball flight during the whole session.

I am exhausted now...

Hit the range with the intention of working on tempo, hitting wedges using the Keegan Bradley tip and getting in swings with my driver to work on some issues that appeared on Sat on the course.

Tempo with irons and wedges was pretty good and my confidence is pretty high with the irons, wedges are getting there. With the mindset to use the same tempo as my irons driver swing was getting close to normal for me a
bit still fighting coming out of my spine angle and I think it's when I try to see where the ball is going to early. Also battled some pulls and pull hooks which or my normal miss and it due to the hips stop moving.

i feel good where things are at and feel like the rest is close.

I've been having issues getting stuck with the driver, leading to pushes and push fades. I was reading through Freddie's various thread, and it clicked that I was swinging too much with my arms, and not enough with my shoulders. It's not something I struggle with as much with irons, but it has been tough with my driver. Well, I got the feeling of swinging with my shoulders and was hitting some bombs! Need to remember that feeling and try to ingrain it with that club. Feels good to have such a good session!

First grass range session of the season. Working on an on plane swing and trying to eliminate the loop at the top. Seeing some good shots today and some progress. Hopefully a sign of things to come this year.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

After an awful rounds the last two weekends I made it to the range after work. Hit a large bucket. After a start that was similar to my play I slowed the swing down and changed ball position a little back in my stance. That fixed it. Made me a happy golfer again.

Two buckets at the range with the driver today. Working on the swing after what I saw this weekend at Club Clash this weekend. Hit the driver pretty good all day during testing, but had nothing on Saturday. No back or legs during the round. Just really trying to get back in golf shape. Plus, after watching EaglesvsFalcon's swing, I wanted to work on technique.

The THP Range/Practice Thread

tonight I left the range a little early. But I came away with a great feeling. When I feel like I'm really extending down the line with my swing I feel so connected to the golf shot. It's one of those feeling that I don't even really need to look up, cause I know it was pured. Usually resulting in the softest most beautiful draw. It's such an awesome feeling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back