Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
EDIT
THP Review is now up on the home page.
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/ping-g-series-irons-review/

In to the Oklahoma THP outpost for review, the new G irons from PING. Like the rest of the line and continuing what PING did with the "i" series, the naming has been simplified and the number series attached to the G letter has been dropped. The irons though are definitely a continuation of what we know this line to be from the company, but with some solid little twists here and there in the design/aesthetic to produce a more compact feeling design visually.

THP received the G irons in 4-PW orientation paired with their new AWT 2.0 shafts ("Ascending Weight Technology") in stiff flex. The set received for review is blue-dot lie angle.

PING on the new G Irons:

G irons are heat treated using a specialized process, creating a Hyper 17-4 alloy that is 40% stronger than traditional 17-4 SS. This allows the faces to be thinner and provide four times the face flexing with improved stability. The results are big distance gains and a higher peak trajectory for better stopping power so you can hit and hold the green.

COR-Eye Technology generates sizeable distance gains by simultaneously activating the sole, face and top rail in flexing for consistently faster ball speeds across the hotter face. In addition to four times the face flexing, the G head is more stable and forgiving.

Connecting the Custom Tuning Port to the sole creates a deeper CG that helps elevate the launch angle while increasing MOI for greater accuracy.

At address, the iron’s refined look is created by a thin top rail, satin-blast finish and appropriate offset. An enlarged multi-material damping badge joined to the cavity works with COR-Eye Technology to optimize sound and feel.
Contributing to improved performance in the G irons are PING's proprietary AWT 2.0 Ascending Weight Technology shafts, an optimal combination of physics and feel. They get lighter as they progress from the short irons to the long irons. Lighter long-iron shafts help square the clubface to increase clubhead speed for distance and accuracy. Short iron/wedge shafts are heavier for improved trajectory control and feel.

Specifications:

CLUBLOFTLENGTHOFFSETLIEBOUNCE WIDTHSWING WEIGHTDEXTERITY
4-Iron21.00°38.88"0.29"60.56°0.59"D0RH/LH
5-Iron24.00°38.25"0.26"61.50°0.62"D0RH/LH
6-Iron27.00°37.63"0.23"62.44°0.65"D0RH/LH
7-Iron30.50°37.00"0.20"63.38°0.66"D0RH/LH
8-Iron35.00°36.50"0.18"64.13°0.66"D0RH/LH
9-Iron40.00°36.00"0.16"64.88°0.66"D0RH/LH
PW45.00°35.50"0.14"65.50°0.66"D2RH/LH
UW50.00°35.50"0.12"65.50°0.66"D2RH/LH
SW54.00°35.25"0.10"65.75°0.66"D3RH/LH
LW58.00°35.00"0.08"66.00°0.65"D4RH/LH

images

In-Hand Images:

DSC_0935-XL.jpg

DSC_0947-XL.jpg

DSC_0949-XL.jpg

DSC_0936-XL.jpg

DSC_0937-XL.jpg

DSC_0938-XL.jpg

DSC_0941-XL.jpg

DSC_0943-XL.jpg

DSC_0944-XL.jpg

DSC_0940-XL.jpg

DSC_0942-XL.jpg

DSC_0974-XL.jpg

DSC_0975-XL.jpg

DSC_0976-XL.jpg

DSC_0978-XL.jpg

DSC_0977-XL.jpg

DSC_0979-XL.jpg

DSC_0980-XL.jpg

DSC_0982-XL.jpg

DSC_0981-XL.jpg

DSC_0956-XL.jpg

DSC_0957-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what it is, but all Ping irons seem oh so similar to me.

Strictly cosmetically speaking the custom tuning port has a bland look to it. More importantly the technology behind these sounds interesting.

I don't know what it is, but all Ping irons seem oh so similar to me.

These looks like they took the GMax and married it with the i series.

• Staff
I think they were going to get a wrap about being "more of the same" and such either way. The big thing here is that they DID move the COR-Eye over from the Gmax and they clearly believe in what it does, this will be my first run in with it so we shall see. Its actually the first G-series iron I have hit in a few releases.

I'll say this, they are definitely still G irons, the soles are wider, and there is more mass down low. That said, PING used a solid amount of finessing on the shapes to hide that shape more than ever. The rounded topline is the biggest thing, I don't know why EVERYONE doesnt bevel those edges on their irons, its the simplest way to make an iron look smaller than it might actually be at address. Also, they have re-worked the offset, its still there, but the way its seen to the eye works a lot better, I'm searching for right words to describe what I mean and will get there eventually.

One thing I don't care for, but expected with an SGI iron, you can see the cavity at address in the 4i and 5i (hence why I put those two pics in at the end. In all though, I'm not a fan of offset and there isn't really anything here that scares me off with the way these set up.

Should be a very interesting review to do.

I will say I don't hate them. Some very interesting tech going on here.

And yes those pictures are even better.

I'm in the other camp from some. I always like the looks of PING irons. These included

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I absolutely love the looks of all Ping irons... Nothing less right here!

JMan, your pics are incredible.. One thing that stood out to me is your pics show so many details and the blue paint fill on the color dot is a bit sloppy. Nothing major, but just shows how good your pics are.

Great looking pics. Ping has done a good job of making them look a little sleeker (as much as you can with something like a G series), and have disguised the offset pretty well.

I'm in the other camp from some. I always like the looks of PING irons. These included

100% agree. Love the ping look, and thinking of moving from the I to these.

Good looking irons, just wish they would have done a bit more in the big hole on the cavity to clean the look up a touch.

Interested to see how these work for you James.

Good looking irons, just wish they would have done a bit more in the big hole on the cavity to clean the look up a touch.

Interested to see how these work for you James.

Its definitely different, its always interesting to see how companies choose to walk that line of visual tech and what is worth running with and what is worth doctoring up a bit.

Jman,

In hand do the 4i and wedge feel noticeably different in weight? Curious about the new AWT shafts, but haven't had the chance to see the full set in store yet.

Jman,

In hand do the 4i and wedge feel noticeably different in weight? Curious about the new AWT shafts, but haven't had the chance to see the full set in store yet.

I've not held each at the same time or after another yet. I'll be sure to see tomorrow though. I'm also curious about the AWT setup too.

These are some good looking irons. I haven't said that a lot about Ping. The AWT is interesting as well.

I am redoing my entire bag very soon and really wanted to like these irons. They just didn't do it for me. For some reason, may it be lie angle, shaft, or shaft length, I couldn't hit the 7 iron but 140 about 10 yards left. I hit the i irons and MUCH to my surprise the S55 a lot better. I was carrying each 160 about 2 yards left. The S55 felt much better so unless I get with a fitter than can "fix" the G, I'll be heading in another direction with my irons. I did really like the look of it though. Side by side I thought it looked better than the G30.

Great write up James.

Is it me or do all of Ping's releases look similar? For me I have never been a huge fan. I am sure the tech and playability are there. Guess it goes back to my days playing high school golf and not liking the one time I hit my best friends Ping's. Shallow I know.

100% agree. Love the ping look, and thinking of moving from the I to these.

I think they killed it with the new lines

Will have these irons out for a bit today, if you have any questions or things you'd like me to address directly, please feel free to post them up.

Really cool photos James!

Having not played a ping iron in over 20 years, put me in the camp that these similar to what I've seen in the past from them. Lines are very "blurred" to me but I'm not a Ping enthusiast. Agree with War on the round hole in the cavity - something should have been done with it.

I do like the mass moved low to help with those shots hit closer to the club bottom, curious to hear how these perform for you though.

Honest question on the COR-Eye in the cavity, since its their "big" tech in these in terms of how it relates to ball speed creation and retention, should they have still covered it up?

I have no dog in the fight here, I could take it or leave it visually, but the two sides of what visible tech is ok and what isn't always fascinates me.

Honest question on the COR-Eye in the cavity, since its their "big" tech in these in terms of how it relates to ball speed creation and retention, should they have still covered it up?

I have no dog in the fight here, I could take it or leave it visually, but the two sides of what visible tech is ok and what isn't always fascinates me.

Not cover it up, but paint it or put something in it (gel/rubber) to make it less meh aesthetically.

Just finished my second round with the G irons. I'm a certified club ho and I will say that in terms of feel, forgiveness and distance, the G's are my favorites. I also have the XR OS irons which have forgiveness and distance but nowhere near the feel of the G's. My playing partners remarked on the nice sound they made at Impact when I hit it flush. When looking down at address the G's have a relatively thin profile for a GI iron. The feel off the face is softer than most other GI irons I've played . Feels almost forged striking a Wilson Staff Duo ball. I have the AWT 2.0 shafts which produced a nice high ball flight with no lost of distance. Chipping around the greens with the SW was very good. The SW has a nice sized head, not big like the XR OS or G30. All in all, I hope to keep my hoing at bay and play these all season.

James,

Hitting these outside, do you feel that they retain some of the more "solid" sound/feel that PING was able to attain with the GI lines in the past? They moved to a more bright/hollow sound with the GMax, and while I didn't notice it with these at the CPC when I was fit, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts on that.

Call me crazy but, the back of these remind me of the taylormade r11 as well as the profile length from heel to toe. Maybe a hair thicker at the base but well hidden. I loved the r11's and this profile from ping reminds me of them for some reason. Can't wait to hit them.

Back