Grafalloy Blue, Prolaunch Blue, Prolaunch Blue Supercharged

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
What do people know about these shafts, and would they recommend them? I'm looking for something a bit higher launching, and I think the PL Blue or PL Blue S would be best. Have heard good things about the Blue though. Price point can't be beat on any of them either ...

Anyone? Thinking about going the counterbalanced route (Supercharged) as I found out the Grafalloy Blue is mid-launch but for much faster swingers than I am. Just wondering if the CB will hurt more than help, and if the $20 difference is worth it (as opposed to slipping a weight myself into the butt of the Prolaunch Blue underneath the grip).

ProLaunch Blue often gets lost in the era of low launch/low spin, but it is probably one the better shafts for those that struggle with getting enough carry with their drivers (it's one of our all time best sellers). I don't know anything about your swing but if I had to make a blind recommendation based off of your 2016 goals (good luck) I would say you will not be sorry with a ProLaunch Blue. Grafalloy Blue is a beast and generally is not the best fit for mid to high handicapers.

The main difference between the PL Blue and PL BLue SC is the counter balancing. ProLaunch Blue was originally designed over 10 years ago, drivers were much shorter than and heads weights were designed for those lighter weights. Now with stock drivers being 45.5"+ people that were reshafting with ProLaunch at those lengths could see some issues with swingweight.

Also more people are taking advantage of counter balancing to increase head weights at standard lengths. The energy of the club head related to the mass and the velocity, so if you can increase the mass of the head at the same swingspeed, your ball speed will increase. On the robot and with tour players we see 1-2 MPH, not a ton, but more is more for the launch monitor obsessed.

ProLaunch Blue often gets lost in the era of low launch/low spin, but it is probably one the better shafts for those that struggle with getting enough carry with their drivers (it's one of our all time best sellers). I don't know anything about your swing but if I had to make a blind recommendation based off of your 2016 goals (good luck) I would say you will not be sorry with a ProLaunch Blue. Grafalloy Blue is a beast and generally is not the best fit for mid to high handicapers.

The main difference between the PL Blue and PL BLue SC is the counter balancing. ProLaunch Blue was originally designed over 10 years ago, drivers were much shorter than and heads weights were designed for those lighter weights. Now with stock drivers being 45.5"+ people that were reshafting with ProLaunch at those lengths could see some issues with swingweight.

Also more people are taking advantage of counter balancing to increase head weights at standard lengths. The energy of the club head related to the mass and the velocity, so if you can increase the mass of the head at the same swingspeed, your ball speed will increase. On the robot and with tour players we see 1-2 MPH, not a ton, but more is more for the launch monitor obsessed.
Really appreciate the information. Not sure if I talked to you on Twitter or not, but I do think the ProLaunch Blue is probably the better option as I didn't plan on building up the F6 head at all. I have an older version of the PL Blue in a pair of Tour Edge 4 and 7 fairways, and liked the combination, so going with the 2015 PL Blue doesn't seem like a bad option for me at all.

Who knows, maybe if I make #THPRegionalRivalry and win MVP you can make suggestions after seeing my swing in person. :wink:

ETA: Purchased. So happy TT has an eBay store! This shaft, coupled with the blue club head of the F6 is going to make a killer looking pairing. Thinking I will complete the theme with a blue/grey MCC Plus4 grip.

Last edited:
I am playing a Grafalloy Blue now in a 910 D2 head and having played the ProLaunch Blue in the past, I would have to say the latter has much better feel but I seem to be getting better carry with the Grafalloy blue, maybe it spins a bit less for me... I bought a ProLaunch a few months back for peanuts... I should have held onto that one. Great all around shaft.

I have ProLaunch Blue on a K15 head, but am going to go with the Fly Z this year with either the 55X4 White The or Tour Blue. I reshafted the K15 earlier this off season before deciding to go with the Cobra and consequently have no experience with using real golf balls and reasonable temperature.

Dave

My K15 with 44 1/2" playing length with ProLaunch Blue is still swing weighting at D2. There's no tape, etc... for added weight.

Dave

@deuce you still loving the ProLaunch shafts? I'm looking at possibly plugging a ProLaunch Blue Speed Coat (whatever Speed Coat means) into an XR16 5W head. Mid launch, mid spin sounds pretty good for me, and lines up with the Fubuki I have in my BB 3W pretty well I think. Similar weight too (the stiff is 65g I believe). And the price is very reasonable of course.

Anyone know how the original (not counterbalanced) PL Blue plays to shaft flex ? True, Softer? Usually high launch shafts play a little softer in the tip.
Always thought about trying one.

My swing speed is usually between R and S for driver (low 90's). . I avg 221 according to Game Golf off the tee and can usually knock a couple out there 240-260 per round if conditions are favorable.

I also butt cut my shafts to play at 43.5-44".

So I have a ProLaunch Blue 65 with SpeedCoat in my XR16 5W and it's a monster. Launches super easy and long. Great fairway shaft.

Now I'd like to build an XR16 3W with one as well, but I'm wondering how different the PL Blue really is from the stock Speeder Evolution 565 Red in the XR16. Anyone have any experience with both? I just don't want to go through the trouble of getting a different shaft in there if I don't have to.

Back