Bridgestone JGR Driver Review Thread

This is some good stuff here. I really enjoy the look of the driver. I know a lot of people wrote off the J815 because they felt the top was too busy for them. Perhaps with this top being relatively calm, some might give this one a good look.

I know a lot of people wrote off the J815 because they felt the top was too busy for them.

two mistakes: 1- Bridgestone for releasing something so off-the-wall, and 2- golfers for not trying this insanely good driver.

jb- awesome info. lol at the sldr guy complaining about height, and the titleist guy snobbing about the shaft. guys in the 97-105 range picked up 6 yards of carry? that's intriguing. I really want to give this some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

....and this is added to my short list for Club Clash. Great info so far!

I for sure wrote the 815 off because of its looks and I LOVED the J40 445... one of the best sounding and feeling drivers I have ever tried. The JGR definitely has my interest and I actually love that its a fixed hosel with some alignment aids... Face looks a little closed from those pics but I can not wait to try this thing out... saving some store credit just in case.

Just catching up up on this thread.

JB, that was a very intersting test with the general public. One thing I took out of it is something we often allude to hear. The general public is not as much of club hos as THP'ers.

When I saw the list of drivers being used on the range, I honestly double checked the date of the post to make sure it dodmt say 2013 instead of 2016 :D

but interesting to see the improved results and still have a few naysayers.

Just catching up on the thread as well and being able to watch Josh Kinchen's video. Paired with the right the right shaft, this could be a great mix of low spin and forgiveness.

a796cd14abb5461b0cbdcd609c1b2d86.jpg

I really like the crown graphics on this one. It looks like the marks on the top edge would have the same effect for framing the ball as the turbulators on the G30/G drivers, without the need for a bunch of relief on the crown.

I think people are going to want to pay attention to PGA Show coverage for this one.
Might be some surprises.

I love me some surprises!!! Plus the Bridgestone guys and gals are always fantastic at the show!

I think people are going to want to pay attention to PGA Show coverage for this one.
Might be some surprises.

That sounds interesting

Sounds like fun.

Thought you guys might dig a couple of pics of what it looks like inside of the new JGR driver:

cutaway_1_zps56lxfekg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

b7eab2ae-800d-43d6-a7cd-b60391b3496b_zpsputr4zss.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

cutaway_3_zpsx54ejzjy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Awesome pics from the other Bstone thread!

I need to hit this.

Tested on the range before the round for myself and another golfer and both really liked the sound of the club. It has an explosion sound that is kind of a metallic ting, without being too loud. The 10.5 degree we were testing was a high flyer. My partner Tim normally hits the ball too low, so this was music to his ears (and eyes). Distance was what was expected (only range time, no FlightScope this time) and it was an all around good product.

I think for me, I would prefer the 9.5 to really get the max out of it, but so far so good.

Great information Josh. Were you testing with stock shaft?

Yes.

I'm intrigued by how the milled face would react for me but sadly it appears this is not available in LH. Not that I'm in the market for a driver or anything, I'd just love to hit it. Perhaps the next iteration of this driver will have a lefty option.

Has anyone compared the launch directly against J815 yet?

Has anyone compared the launch directly against J815 yet?

I'm going to say it launches higher. I didn't swing apples to apples but the 10.5 with a AD BB 6 stiff shaft launched about as well as my j815 12* with my addi 5 reg shaft. I think with the right shaft this is 12* will actually be a decent option for you.

One thing to note here, and I have no idea if it impacts any THPers or not. The Japan model can be different than the JGR. I know some pictures leaked online as the "new Bridgestone Driver" and it was thought to be the JGR.

Last edited:
One thing to note here, and I have no idea if it impacts any THPers or not. The Japan model can be different than the JGR. I know some pictures leaked online as the "new Bridgestone Driver" and it was thought to be the JGR.

Good to note JB and I didn't realize that. I was hitting the Japan release.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to say it launches higher. I didn't swing apples to apples but the 10.5 with a AD BB 6 stiff shaft launched about as well as my j815 12* with my addi 5 reg shaft. I think with the right shaft this is 12* will actually be a decent option for you.

Are you saying 12 degree head with the right shaft or 10.5? I have the 12 in J715 and have on order the 12 in JGR just hoping didn't go to high loft.

Are you saying 12 degree head with the right shaft or 10.5? I have the 12 in J715 and have on order the 12 in JGR just hoping didn't go to high loft.

I hesitate to respond after JB stating they might be different heads (I hit the jdm not the USA release) and I really don't know what the difference might be. So at this time I wouldn't be able to give you accurate info.

I hesitate to respond after JB stating they might be different heads (I hit the jdm not the USA release) and I really don't know what the difference might be. So at this time I wouldn't be able to give you accurate info.

I say run with your feedback. As long as its a recent head, its similar.

Back