Mixed sets of clubs

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
So I have not been pleased with the performance of my CF16 PW - 8 but love the mid and long irons in the set. So prior to leaving for Vegas I pulled the short irons from the cf16 set and placed my 745 short irons in the bag. Based on the game I had yesterday I am pleased.

I know DA points has a mixed bag of TM and Ping so I thought I'd give it try. I am wondering if anyone else has done this or thought about it.

I've done it with the JPX Fli Hi from Mizuno - which are iron replacements, along with PING or Srixon irons. If I had the altitudes, I'd probably play those at the low end. Sort of like what you're doing, just at my skill level.

Looking forward to hearing how this continues to work for you. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Funny timing for your post as I just decided last weekend that I'm going to do the same thing this year. For some reason I just do not get along with my PW and AW in my RSI's, and will be putting my old speedblade PW and AW in the bag with the rest of the RSI's that I really like. We'll see if my golf OCD can handle it. I'd say that's 50/50. The lofts/lengths are the same, so there really shouldn't be a distance issue, but will have to check that out come spring.

I have a mixed bag a lot of the time. Generally not multiple brands of normal irons, but definitely a mix of hybrids, short irons, even wedges.

Never thought about it. It would probably confuse me and drive me nuts. Not having a set gw is tough enough. But hey you gotta do what you gotta do. Hope it works out the way you want it to.

I don't think my OCD would allow me to pull this off lol.

So I have not been pleased with the performance of my CF16 PW - 8 but love the mid and long irons in the set. So prior to leaving for Vegas I pulled the short irons from the cf16 set and placed my 745 short irons in the bag. Based on the game I had yesterday I am pleased.

I know DA points has a mixed bag of TM and Ping so I thought I'd give it try. I am wondering if anyone else has done this or thought about it.

I now have Fly-z's and Bstone J15 CB's and I have thought about keeping the 5 & 6 of the Fly-z's in the bag and going 7-PW of the J15 CB's. I may do it a couple times this year and see how it goes.

Most likely going to try something like that. I have A12's with 4H, 5H, and 6H that I bought the beginning of the year when my cap was still double digits. Thinking of going 5, 6, 7, with a game improvement club and the short irons in more of a players club. No chance I try and play a 4 iron though, love me some hybrids.

Have not considered it but if it works for someone I say go for it. I'm like jimmy and not sure I could handle that

I wouldn't be able to pull off a completely mixed iron set between 2 or 3 brands, but despite conventional wisdom saying it's a bad idea I have always been enamored with the combo set clubs. I simply do not look for the same things out of my 9i/PW that I am looking for out of my 5i/6i.

I used to caddy for a guy who had a mixed set and I play fairly regularly with a few guys who have mixed sets, but I'm not consistent enough to worry about mixing sets to fit my game. I can hit any given 5 iron 120 yards or 200 yards from swing to swing.

Sent From My Samsung Note 4 Using Tapatalk

I don't think my OCD would allow me to pull this off lol.

My sentiments exactly, haha!

FK - What don't you care for about the CF 16 8-PW?

My sentiments exactly, haha!

FK - What don't you care for about the CF 16 8-PW?

They do not seem match my set. The 745s fill in the gaps well and are longer

I must admit that I do like mixed sets like the Cobra S3pro's or new Cobra King mixed set or a 745/945.

I may be doing that this year. I picked up a set of Z-545s which in the long irons are just flat out amazing. My gamer DBM maltby irons are gapped extremely well from PW-6 iron and are deadly accurate. I have routinely struggled with my long irons but hit the 545s really well at the top of the bag. So, I have some decisions to make once the courses open back up in the next few weeks.

I have thought about doing this for a little while now. It just is trying to find a good balance between the sets where my gaps dont get all sorts of messed up.

I've heard some great things about them, sucks they don't work for you... don't know if this counts as mixed but have the pw-8 in the Apex pro, and the 5-7 in the Apex (last years not CF16, thinking about upgrading)

I do it a lot. I love the ping i25 3-5 and rotate on 6-9 from other sets but never the 3-5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it Panda. I think this also leads to more of what we are seeing with blended sets from OEM's....I'm a fan.

Havent tried it before, dont think Id be opposed to it though

that's interesting freddie. i'd probably just give up on the entire set as it wouldn't occur to me to mix and match. i wouldn't be opposed to mixing and matching, it just wouldn't cross my mind.

I'm on the other end of most here. I really just don't see the benefit to a mixed set unless it was designed as such by the brains behind the clubs.

Why not go simpler first Freddie? Go get the lofts checked on the set, then possibly take the 8-PW 1* stronger if its that much of a constant issue. Just my opinion though, of course.

I'm on the other end of most here. I really just don't see the benefit to a mixed set unless it was designed as such by the brains behind the clubs.

Why not go simpler first Freddie? Go get the lofts checked on the set, then possibly take the 8-PW 1* stronger if its that much of a constant issue. Just my opinion though, of course.

I've assumed that the set arrived with the listed lofts and lie I requested. I'll get them checked.

In regards to a mixed set. I love the mid and long irons in the apex and the short irons in the 745. They gap well and I hit them well as they are all fit to my game. Mixing the best to two great sets makes me a stronger player. I would think that would hold true for any golfer.

I really think it goes against the norm which most do not like to do. I think it could be a game changer. It's like replacing long irons with hybrids, IMO. You place clubs in the bag that make you play better.

I went through this a bit last year when I got my SCOR wedges. The lob through gap were just amazing around the greens and pitching but then if I wanted to use my CMB PW it was just ... YUCK so I added a 46° and love it.

I'm playing the CMB in 5-9 and will definitely reconsider my configuration with the next set I get. Something like Mizuno MP-25 in 5-7 & MP-5 in 8-PW plus 3 wedges

I had the EXACT same issue with the cfs which is why I went back to gaming the CBs. I still think the cf in the long and mid iron is one of if not the best all around performers on the market but once I got 8 iron and down the results did not follow.

I have though about mixing and matching but I don't know if I could last looking at two different club type. That said I play different wedges,woods etc so don't know why it should matter when it comes to irons.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back