Woodworking / Furniture Building

Looks cool. You punching the copper yourself? I did it on tin for 2 doors on a hutch I built for the wife. She keeps potatoes and onions in there, works out well. Fun but tedious project. Very rewarding though.

I'm planning on doing it myself, I've never done it before but figured I'd give it a go

I'm planning on doing it myself, I've never done it before but figured I'd give it a go

I think you will enjoy the finished product. I meant to take a photo of our hutch, but forgot. If you are just doing one hole size, it will go a lot quicker. The ones with multi sizes takes forever but they look sweet! I started using actual punches, but then started using finishing nails with a much lighter hammer instead. Still had to take a lot of breaks, but it was a little easier on the arm. Have fun.

I think you will enjoy the finished product. I meant to take a photo of our hutch, but forgot. If you are just doing one hole size, it will go a lot quicker. The ones with multi sizes takes forever but they look sweet! I started using actual punches, but then started using finishing nails with a much lighter hammer instead. Still had to take a lot of breaks, but it was a little easier on the arm. Have fun.

It's gonna be interesting for sure not 100% on what sizes will be used.

My "lighter hammer" is a 20oz framing hammer, always fun to hand it to someone who doesn't use one much.

a09bf6343cce095568e4a5a44d6ce7e7.jpg

6de049d5ab2f47e29dbbe359ac4328f8.jpg

Working on my whiskey cabinet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Look at all that space!

We're going to need some more detailed pics of that material you're using, also.

6ded269d7b8930001c0d8e0fd83b8149.jpg

6de049d5ab2f47e29dbbe359ac4328f8.jpg

Working on my whiskey cabinet!

I have that same planer for job site use....just got it refurbished at Dewalt. The tool has earned its money and then some. Knives are a bit expensive for how long they last.

Look at all that space!

We're going to need some more detailed pics of that material you're using, also.

I'll get some pics tomorrow, it's quarter sawn curly white oak some beautiful pieces. It had quite the price though.

I have that same planer for job site use....just got it refurbished at Dewalt. The tool has earned its money and then some. Knives are a bit expensive for how long they last.

This is the second one the first one grenaded. They picked up a grizzly recently but it's acting up and since my dad and brother are in the middle of moving into this place the electric isn't ran but should be done tomorrow.

This is the second one the first one grenaded. They picked up a grizzly recently but it's acting up and since my dad and brother are in the middle of moving into this place the electric isn't ran but should be done tomorrow.

Have you guys looked at/considered these Infinity Tools knives? The folks that run them report better longevity plus Infinity makes quality tooling overall. Not sure I would splurge for the carbide tipped unless I knew all my stock was clean and metal free.

Or there's always a Byrd Shelix replacement head. :alien:

All our stuff is nail free as it comes straight from the supplier who does their own cutting from logs and drying in house.

Different woods wear out blades differently and knots can do a number on them in a hurry.

That Byrd shelix head is about as much as the dewalt costs new.

0cad731d2dca586be5318398c78416a6.jpg

9aa188cfa1a25dea2fefa45664c4aebf.jpg

Here's two of the wider boards that will make the top

Here's some more that will be doors and frame

Edit

1a7479495e0c0dff656355b01fd2b4b0.jpg

Last edited:
Here's some more that will be doors and frame

1a7479495e0c0dff656355b01fd2b4b0.jpg

I think I would use the sticks on the right for sides. The one on the far right has some wicked good figure.

I think I would use the sticks on the right for sides. The one on the far right has some wicked good figure.

I'm shocked at what they sent me the figure is amazing, the crappy cell picks don't do it justice.

fb4d50908ee48f802904b6197927fc04.jpg

got the face frames glued up, tomorrow I'll knock out the doors and the back and maybe the shelves and top we'll see how things go. I should be close to completed by noon Saturday so I can get my brother to spray it for me.

Playing with finishes

ea807f075a1b3501097f116697da704a.jpg

e4899321d36a36a792e1f581007c9505.jpg

I like the middle shade. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out! Looks great so far.

Playing with finishes

No ammonia fuming?

It's 50/50 for me between the base shade and the middle. Maybe s slight edge to the middle with a little more pop in the figure.

I like the middle shade. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out! Looks great so far.

That's the one I like the least haha the wood has some unique coloring and I don't want to loose it. This board is pretty monotone color wise.

No ammonia fuming?

It's 50/50 for me between the base shade and the middle. Maybe s slight edge to the middle with a little more pop in the figure.

Haha nope never tried it though.

I'm leaning clear/natural maybe a quick wipe with Danish oil and then clear it.

Playing with finishes

I haven't popped my head in this thread for a while. I kinda like the mahogany color on this oak. Not a fan of walnut on oak, just makes me think "Why not just use walnut". With that said, all 3 colors look awesome. Nice finish job. I am really looking forward to following this project.

I also am very jealous of your space, and supply of sheet stock, and your roll-up door.......

fb4d50908ee48f802904b6197927fc04.jpg

got the face frames glued up, tomorrow I'll knock out the doors and the back and maybe the shelves and top we'll see how things go. I should be close to completed by noon Saturday so I can get my brother to spray it for me.

I use the crap out of my pocket hole jigs. One of the best woodworking inventions in recent history. I rarely use my plate joiner anymore.

I use the crap out of my pocket hole jigs. One of the best woodworking inventions in recent history. I rarely use my plate joiner anymore.

Rarely do we use a plate joiner actually I couldn't tell you the last time I used one. I know it's been years and it's was on an odd ball build.

I haven't popped my head in this thread for a while. I kinda like the mahogany color on this oak. Not a fan of walnut on oak, just makes me think "Why not just use walnut". With that said, all 3 colors look awesome. Nice finish job. I am really looking forward to following this project.

I also am very jealous of your space, and supply of sheet stock, and your roll-up door.......

We were shooting for a grey(whiskey barrel) look but I'm not excited about it. I too hate staining some species to look like others. That sheet stock is for a build my dad is doing will be cut up shortly. My dad and brother got a nice space and will be moved in by end of the week from their old one. The two roll up doors are nice and make bringing materials in a breeze and taking out builds cake.

This popped up on my news feed! Here's a project I'm currently working on, hoping to finish on Tuesday;
01cff2c82784e6ca1fc9d45ff1ac7b39.jpg

That's a lot of boxes I'm gonna guess plywood and 45'd with edge banding.

Looks good

This popped up on my news feed! Here's a project I'm currently working on, hoping to finish on Tuesday;

Looks awesome and time consuming. A knick knack collectors dream come true.

That's a lot of boxes I'm gonna guess plywood and 45'd with edge banding.

Looks good

Yup 119 boxes as they're on the other wall too.
We used Double sided Mahogany veneer blockboard with half inch Mahogany edging on the front. Used real mahogany on the front to give the edges a tougher finish.

Looks awesome and time consuming. A knick knack collectors dream come true.

Yes this part took ages, they're for wine so you can hold 1,309 wine bottles comfortably, potentially 1,666.
It's a wine and cheese shop. I'm hoping it looks really good when done and results in more jobs!

Back