Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 131718192021222324252627282933 ... LastLast

Thread: Callaway ERC Soft Golf Ball

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    700 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil75070 View Post
    Apparently Phil Mickelson believes in the Triple Track Technology as he has had Callaway put those lines on his Chrome Soft X. From what I have watched this week he is putting pretty darn good!
    I saw Phil's ball yesterday and thought he was playing the ERC. It looks weird to me but if it helps me make putts and is longer than CS, I'm in.
    Driver: Rogue Draw
    Fairway:
    Rogue 3, Epic 5 and 7
    Irons:
    Apex CF16 7-AW
    Hybrids: Rogue 5H and 6H
    Wedges:
    MD4 54* and 58*
    Putter:
    Newport 2.5
    Ball:
    CSx Truvis

Handicap
    GHIN 24.5
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    I saw Phil's ball yesterday and thought he was playing the ERC. It looks weird to me but if it helps me make putts and is longer than CS, I'm in.
    Phil isnít playing ERC. Heís playing CSx with triple track.

I think it deserves a try out, the triple track lines definitely seemed to help me when I used them, but itís not something I normally use, so I need to do some more testing with the lines.
    Proud Member of Team THP in The Grandaddy 2018, thanks to and !!
    In My 2018 #TheGrandaddy Alpha Convoy cart bag:
    Driver: Epic Flash
    FW: Epic Flash 3w
    Hybrids: Big Bertha 3/4/5 Recoil ZT9 F4
    Irons: Big Bertha 6-AW Recoil ZT9 F4
    Wedges: 2019 PM Grind 54į & 58į Recoil 95 F3
    Putter: Stroke Lab 2 Ball Fang
    Ball: ERC Soft

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    Yep, Iím sure that means we will see them on other Callaway balls soon enough. Would def get me more interested I think.
    I thought about this watching Phil play this week.
    On one hand it may validate the alignment aid works. But wouldnít that mean a selling point and differentiator for the ERC? If they add it to the other balls that could take away sales from the ERC. They havenít added TruVis to their other lines.

Also keep in mind that adding the lines to their other ball lines means more skuís. They may or may not want that from a manufacturing and marketing perspective.

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,230 Posts

Got to put erc soft in play yesterday on extremely soft greens and while that did affect spin it did let me go at pins without hesitation and I enjoyed my time with the ball.

Launch was great compared to the gamer ball (ProV1)Iíve been using. Didnít notice any negatives off the driver other than sound but thatís to be expected given the differences in materials used.

Feel was were this ball shined. A lot was said about the cover make up. Personally I like the little bit harder feel coming from a premium ball to this. Let me know contact area at impact as well provided good auditory feedback based on compression at impact as well.

I used a lot of wedges with this ball yesterday and the durability is outstanding. No shredding or pitting from any of the full swing shots with MD4 wedges at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Testing Project X Catalyst 100g 6.0 shafts - Thank you THP/PX Crew

Proud Supporter & Captain of Team So. Cal. in the 2017 THP Regional Rivalry - So. Cal vs Nor. Cal.

Participant 2016
    Championship - TPC Las Vegas!
    Proud Winner of the custom testor shaft used for 2017 THCE w/ Project X
    Proud to be part of 2018 HandCrafted Experience with

5. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Alez367 For This Useful Post:

dacatalyst41 (01-20-2019), DufferToo (01-20-2019), fflmaster (01-20-2019), IceyShanks (01-30-2019), JonD (01-24-2019), JourdanInMich (01-20-2019), markm778 (01-21-2019), mikeg_74 (01-20-2019), obedt (01-20-2019), Snickerdog (01-20-2019), Tee/Ski (02-04-2019), Tenputt (01-20-2019), tequila4kapp (01-20-2019), ttucliffhanger (01-22-2019)

Major Champion
    Handicap
    USGA 15.6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10,174 Posts
    I've been thinking about this ball a lot.

Last summer I did a shoulder tap ball testing for a bunch of balls. The one ball that surprised me most was a hard distance ball. I think I said something like 'I don't spin the ball anyways and the extra distance really helps my game'. Apply that to the ERC...as I inch into my early/mid 50's extra distance definitely matters. I get that with the ERC and don't have to give up feel. It is kind of silly sometimes, but it is easy to overlook things. The ERC is long AND soft. I can see this ball being my regular gamer, with the CS on hand for those rare instances where I know I am going to be playing especially firm/fast greens.
    Captain, Team THP in the 2018 Grandaddy
    #100Birdies10kLaughs

Team THP:
    PhillyV (The AssCap), ArmyGolf, dacatalyst41, Shanewu, BlueHen2006, KEV, mpeterson, Boder, Phil75070, rogt, ttucliffhanger, dazeedmonds

In my Shadow Fuse or Alpha Convoy Grandaddy cart bag:
    Driver: EPIC Flash Sub Zero, Project X Smoke, 6.0
    FW: EPIC Flash, Project X Smoke, 6.0
    Hybrids: Apex 3h & 4h, PX Catalyst 6.0
    Irons: Apex Forged '19, UST Recoil ZT9 460, F3
    Wedges: 54* MD4 and 58* PM Grind 2.0, UST Recoil 95, F3 (tipped)
    Putter: Toulon Memphis
    Ball: Chrome Soft CS Truvis and ERC

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tequila4kapp For This Useful Post:

DufferToo (01-20-2019), JasonFinleyCG (01-20-2019), TonyB (01-21-2019), ttucliffhanger (01-22-2019)

#JakeNation

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by erock9174 View Post
    On one hand it may validate the alignment aid works. But wouldnít that mean a selling point and differentiator for the ERC? If they add it to the other balls that could take away sales from the ERC. They havenít added TruVis to their other lines.

Also keep in mind that adding the lines to their other ball lines means more skuís. They may or may not want that from a manufacturing and marketing perspective.
    Oh I didnít say I thought we would see it soon, just eventually.
    WITB:
    Cobra
    - F9 10.5 -
    TPT Golf 16LKP-MT-SW
    TaylorMade - M5 15.0 - Aldila XTorsion 70X
    Tour Edge Exotics - CBX 19.0 - UST Mamiya Hybrid Proto F5
    Srixon - U85 23.0 - UST Mamiya Recoil F5
    New Level - 902 Forged 5-PW - True Temper Elevate X100
    New Level - M-Grind 50(49)/54/60 - Modus 115 Wedge
    SWAG
    - Handsome Too Raw Carbon

Taylormade - TP5x

In for Review:

Proud former
    #TheGrandaddy Captain!

Handicap
    GHIN 5.8
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,074 Posts
    On one hand it may validate the alignment aid works. But wouldn’t that mean a selling point and differentiator for the ERC? If they add it to the other balls that could take away sales from the ERC. They haven’t added TruVis to their other lines.

Also keep in mind that adding the lines to their other ball lines means more sku’s. They may or may not want that from a manufacturing and marketing perspective.
    Some valid points, but I think it being Callaway's longest ball, and the high launch without sacrificing much in the way of spin might be enough of a differentiation, not even taking price into account. I'm curious if this will eat into the CS sales as it is. At this point I'm probably going to switch from the CS to the ERC as my everyday gamer.
    Member of Team THP - 2018 Grandaddy with Callaway

In my Alpha Convoy 514 Cart Bag:
    Driver: Epic Flash 10.5į (+1/D) w/ Project X EvenFlow Green Shaft 45g 5.5
    FWs: 3W (+1/N) /5W (+1N) Epic Flash w/ Project X EvenFlow Green Shafts 45g 5.5
    Hybrid: 5H Apex w/ UST Mamiya Recoil 760 Shafts F2
    Irons: Apex '19 6-AW w/ UST Mamiya Recoil 760 Shafts F2
    Wedges:
    52įS MD4 56įC MD4 60į PM 2.0 Grind - all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Shafts F2
    Putter: Stroke Lab Three
    Ball: Chrome Soft / ERC

Team THP for Life
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,086 Posts
    On one hand it may validate the alignment aid works. But wouldn’t that mean a selling point and differentiator for the ERC? If they add it to the other balls that could take away sales from the ERC. They haven’t added TruVis to their other lines.

Also keep in mind that adding the lines to their other ball lines means more sku’s. They may or may not want that from a manufacturing and marketing perspective.
    At the same time, someone who plays the CSX exclusively is not likely to switch to the ball (assuming it's a good fit for them). They've already got 3, sometimes 4 colors of Truvis, and they seem to be doing OK with that in terms of SKUs/manufacturing/etc.
    Proud member of Team THP in the 2018 Granddaddy with

Driver: Epic Flash With Custom HZRDUS Smoke
    Fairway: Epic Flash with Tensei Blue 75
    Hybrids: '19 Apex 3h and 4h with Catalyst 70
    Irons: Apex Forged 5-PW w/ Elevate 95
    Wedges: MD4 48-54-58 w/ Modus 105
    Putter: Stroke Lab Three
    Ball: Chrome Soft X

Thanks to PX and THP for an incredible Handcrafted Experience!

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alez367 View Post

Got to put erc soft in play yesterday on extremely soft greens and while that did affect spin it did let me go at pins without hesitation and I enjoyed my time with the ball.

Launch was great compared to the gamer ball (ProV1)Iíve been using. Didnít notice any negatives off the driver other than sound but thatís to be expected given the differences in materials used.

Feel was were this ball shined. A lot was said about the cover make up. Personally I like the little bit harder feel coming from a premium ball to this. Let me know contact area at impact as well provided good auditory feedback based on compression at impact as well.

I used a lot of wedges with this ball yesterday and the durability is outstanding. No shredding or pitting from any of the full swing shots with MD4 wedges at all.

Great shots and loved the feedback. I think anyone who plays a firmer ball like will definitely notice the difference in feel. Several of us saw the same things you did in terms of launch and also spin into greens. It's not going to spin like a tour ball, but it definitely spins. It's a great option for lots of golfers.
    ProudEST Member of TEAM THP for The Grandaddy 2018!
    WITB

2019 Callaway Epic Flash 9 degree, Project X Smoke 70g Stiff
    2019 Callaway Epic Flash 3W and 5W, Project X Smoke 75g Stiff
    2019 Callaway Big Bertha 3H, Handcrafted Project X Black 85g Stiff
    2019 Callaway Apex Irons 5-AW, Steelfiber 110g Stiff
    2019 Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 54 & 58, Steelfiber 110g Stiff
    Odyssey 2019 Stroke Lab Tuttle

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dacatalyst41 For This Useful Post:

Alez367 (01-20-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I don't think I could get use to the alignment lines.

Waiting 4 EXO Stroke Lab Bunker Snot's Avatar
    Handicap
    work
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    I was curious about what the ERC might offer so I signed up on the Callaway community and was selected to test. I received a sleeve last Monday and promptly started putting and chipping around the house. I found the ERC to feel/play almost the same as the Super Soft (my normal winter ball) and the Chrome Soft with the putter but noticed a difference with chipping. The ERC felt a bit "clicky" I was able to take the ERC out to the course over the weekend and confirmed this ball can fly. Soft course, 52 degrees and overcast but I was carrying the ball close to normal targets. Approach shots felt great, the ball flight did seem a bit higher but it was very easy to get dialed in and play nice controlled shots. The difference I felt while pitching around the house did carry over to the course, 30 yards in, the chips and pitches were tough to judge, if I caught the ball a bit thin it would jump much more than the SS or CS, if in normal contact area of the face the ball would pop up and fall much shorter than SS or CS. I think some of the issue could be course condition but the difference seemed worth noting.

My one thing that stands out about the ERC is the Triple Track. I have moved away from drawing lines on the ball and using it for aim and alignment but Triple Track just begs to be used, drives, putts, approach (thank you lift, clean) I found that just making the 3 lines go in the general direction made me focus more on swing path and helped improve my alignment and overall direction. I really hope Callaway makes more sku's and offers Triple Track across multiple balls.

I will put this ball in play again in the spring but I'm not sure I would purchase at $39.99, Super Soft for every day play is much less and Chrome Soft for couple of dollars more seem like a better value... I can't wait for things to start warming up and drying out.

"It's not long, but it's not wrong" - Bubba Watson (Genesis Open)
    "If I was 'the man' I'd be in the fairway" - Bubba Watson (WGC Match Play)

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bunker Snot For This Useful Post:

dazeedmonds (01-21-2019), KEV (01-21-2019), obedt (01-21-2019), Phil75070 (01-21-2019), tequila4kapp (01-21-2019)

Handicap
    GHIN 24.5
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunker Snot View Post
    I was curious about what the ERC might offer so I signed up on the Callaway community and was selected to test. I received a sleeve last Monday and promptly started putting and chipping around the house. I found the ERC to feel/play almost the same as the Super Soft (my normal winter ball) and the Chrome Soft with the putter but noticed a difference with chipping. The ERC felt a bit "clicky" I was able to take the ERC out to the course over the weekend and confirmed this ball can fly. Soft course, 52 degrees and overcast but I was carrying the ball close to normal targets. Approach shots felt great, the ball flight did seem a bit higher but it was very easy to get dialed in and play nice controlled shots. The difference I felt while pitching around the house did carry over to the course, 30 yards in, the chips and pitches were tough to judge, if I caught the ball a bit thin it would jump much more than the SS or CS, if in normal contact area of the face the ball would pop up and fall much shorter than SS or CS. I think some of the issue could be course condition but the difference seemed worth noting.

My one thing that stands out about the ERC is the Triple Track. I have moved away from drawing lines on the ball and using it for aim and alignment but Triple Track just begs to be used, drives, putts, approach (thank you lift, clean) I found that just making the 3 lines go in the general direction made me focus more on swing path and helped improve my alignment and overall direction. I really hope Callaway makes more sku's and offers Triple Track across multiple balls.

I will put this ball in play again in the spring but I'm not sure I would purchase at $39.99, Super Soft for every day play is much less and Chrome Soft for couple of dollars more seem like a better value... I can't wait for things to start warming up and drying out.
    Good write up!
    Proud Member of Team THP in The Grandaddy 2018, thanks to and !!
    In My 2018 #TheGrandaddy Alpha Convoy cart bag:
    Driver: Epic Flash
    FW: Epic Flash 3w
    Hybrids: Big Bertha 3/4/5 Recoil ZT9 F4
    Irons: Big Bertha 6-AW Recoil ZT9 F4
    Wedges: 2019 PM Grind 54į & 58į Recoil 95 F3
    Putter: Stroke Lab 2 Ball Fang
    Ball: ERC Soft

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,468 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alez367 View Post

This is great feedback! It's nice that others are seeing similar and some of the same things that us from #TheGrandaddy saw. Glad you liked it! I really enjoyed it, especially off the irons and wedges. Also enjoyed the feel off the putter. I prefer the CS feel off the driver but I haven't gamed it enough to make the decision which ball I prefer better overall. I like it enough for it to be one of my gamers along with the CS this year though!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    WITB:
    Bag: #The
    Grandaddy Alpha Convoy 514 Cart Bag
    Driver: EPIC Flash 9* w/ Project X EvenFlow Green 55g 6.0 Full Draw (-1/D)
    3w: EPIC Flash w/ Project X EvenFlow Green 65g 6.0 (-1/D)
    5w: EPIC Flash Sub Zero w/ Project X EvenFlow Green 65g 6.0 (-1/D)
    Hybrid: GBB 4h w/ UST Mamiya Recoil ZT9 470 F4
    Irons:
    2019 Apex CF-19 5 - AW w/ Project X LZ95 6.0
    Wedges:
    2019 Mack Daddy PM Grind 54į/58į w/ Project X LZ95 6.0
    Putter:
    Strokelab Double Wide Flow & Toulon Las Vegas H7 Strokelab
    Ball: Chromesoft and ERC Soft
    Grips: Lampkin UTx Standard
    **Proud member of #TeamTHP of #TheGrandaddy2018**

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ttucliffhanger For This Useful Post:

Alez367 (01-22-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,468 Posts
    So I did some puttout practice today with these on my puttout matt and puttout. I can tell the difference in this and the CS. It doesn't feel as soft off the putter, but still feels great! I also compared it to the SuperHot Bold, which is also a 3 piece ball from Callaway with a different cover material. Felt closer to this ball, but still not the same as the SHB. Just a little food for thought.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    WITB:
    Bag: #The
    Grandaddy Alpha Convoy 514 Cart Bag
    Driver: EPIC Flash 9* w/ Project X EvenFlow Green 55g 6.0 Full Draw (-1/D)
    3w: EPIC Flash w/ Project X EvenFlow Green 65g 6.0 (-1/D)
    5w: EPIC Flash Sub Zero w/ Project X EvenFlow Green 65g 6.0 (-1/D)
    Hybrid: GBB 4h w/ UST Mamiya Recoil ZT9 470 F4
    Irons:
    2019 Apex CF-19 5 - AW w/ Project X LZ95 6.0
    Wedges:
    2019 Mack Daddy PM Grind 54į/58į w/ Project X LZ95 6.0
    Putter:
    Strokelab Double Wide Flow & Toulon Las Vegas H7 Strokelab
    Ball: Chromesoft and ERC Soft
    Grips: Lampkin UTx Standard
    **Proud member of #TeamTHP of #TheGrandaddy2018**

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    First round in the books with the ERC Soft yesterday, and I really enjoyed it. I happened to have the best ball striking I've had in a while, which didn't hurt obviously, but I am 100% convinced that this ball will get a chance at being my main gamer this year. I'm looking forward to seeing the yellow version in person. I only used the triple track once or twice and it's nice but I hate it when it feels like I'm playing slow and having to line up lines just feels slow to me. I'll give it more of a chance next time perhaps.

The ball felt great off of all my clubs, and the height, distance and stopping power met or exceeded my expectations. When one of the Zoo Crew's better players make the switch, you gotta give it a try at least, and this trial showed me why it's well liked. I'm looking forward to more rounds with the ERC Soft.
    The #SweaterWar got me into The 2018 Grandaddy!!!

#100Birdies10kLaughs #TheGrandaddy

Driver: Epic Flash 10.5* w/ EF Green 55 S flex
    3-wood:
    Epic Flash w/ EF Green 65 S flex
    Hybrids / Irons:
    Apex 19
    3h/4h w/ Catalyst 70 S flex and 5i-AW w/ Catalyst 80 S flex graphite
    Wedges:
    54* MD4, 58* PM Grind 2.0
    Putter:
    Stroke Lab Three
    Ball: Chrome Soft Truvis (y&b)

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shanewu For This Useful Post:

dazeedmonds (01-28-2019), Tadashi70 (02-02-2019), tequila4kapp (01-28-2019)