Mail Order and Online Foods

Benton’s bacon is amazing. When I’ve had it, I save the fat and infuse it into Bourbon to make bacon old fashioneds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bacon. Bourbon. Old Fashioneds. BL, you are speaking my language!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

bacon. bourbon. beets. bears. battlestar galactica.

It’s all Organic & Non-GMO in my house, and Thrive has some great tasting alternatives in this category.

My wife also shops Vitacost online. They seem to run a lot of sales and have stuff that is sometimes hard to get locally.

We received an Omaha Steaks gift quite a while ago and like it a lot.

As odd as it may sound, I get fish for sushi/sashimi ordered from a place down in California all the time. Place is Catalina Offshore, www.catalinaop.com. They are always good.

Have always been curious about omaha steaks but never tried. I am going to have to look at a few of these places mentioned.

You guys are making me hungry, and I might just order a wagyu ribeye cap because I'm curious. I have never ordered meat online, and I don't think I've had anything higher than USDA Prime for any cut of beef. Might have to give it a shot after the holidays.

You guys are making me hungry, and I might just order a wagyu ribeye cap because I'm curious. I have never ordered meat online, and I don't think I've had anything higher than USDA Prime for any cut of beef. Might have to give it a shot after the holidays.

Prime is pretty darn good. I watched LaFrieda and he still believes its better quality wise than most wagyu.

Prime is pretty darn good. I watched LaFrieda and he still believes its better quality wise than most wagyu.

Oh yeah, prime is great. Like I said, it's more of a curiousity for me since I've never had it. Trying to broaden my tastes. :D

Not really in the beef/high-end category, but we've started ordering from Hello Fresh regularly for the past month or so. So far I've been really impressed--the quality of everything has been really good and the recipes are tasty. Of course, some are better than others, but we haven't had anything yet that I really didn't like and I'm a pretty picky eater. It's even made our 8-year old start eating some vegetables.

Not really in the beef/high-end category, but we've started ordering from Hello Fresh regularly for the past month or so. So far I've been really impressed--the quality of everything has been really good and the recipes are tasty. Of course, some are better than others, but we haven't had anything yet that I really didn't like and I'm a pretty picky eater. It's even made our 8-year old start eating some vegetables.

Getting your child to eat vegetables, that's impressive!

Here's a video that walks you through how to make bacon bourbon. However, in my opinion, they drastically under do it with the amount of bacon fat needed. Honestly, you can't over do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkBoXXyEhLs

I mentioned Marx Foods, which we had great success with.

Some others that people may want to check out.

Allen Bros
Lobels
D'artagnan
Porter Road Butcher
Tender Belly
Flannery Beef
Pat LaFrieda
Creekstone Farms
Fossil Farms
Meat the Butchers

Allen Bros
Lobels
D'artagnan
Porter Road Butcher
Tender Belly
Flannery Beef
Pat LaFrieda
Creekstone Farms
Fossil Farms
Meat the Butchers

@Jdax
Porter Road has their full shop in Nashville.

Mail Order and Online Foods

Allen Bros
Lobels
D'artagnan
Porter Road Butcher
Tender Belly
Flannery Beef
Pat LaFrieda
Creekstone Farms
Fossil Farms
Meat the Butchers

D’artagnan: your best bet when you want to order a 3 pound piece of foie gras*

Has @chefkritter weighed in here yet?

*this isn’t snark. I want a 3 pound piece of foie gras.

** I know it’d be a bit off-brand, but 3 pounds of foie gras would be a dope Day 4 THP holiday giveaway.

I’ve found Nueske’s to be way less smoked than Benton’s, is that your experience too?

Not a knock. Just an observation.

Yeah it’s definately not as smoked, Neuske has become a tad “watered down” as it’s just about everywhere. Most of the bacons that I like more are more “local” when i am traveling. Each place has their own twist/style. Can’t remember the place around Phoenix that had some stellar bacon but if i find the name of it i will share.

Yeah it’s definately not as smoked, Neuske has become a tad “watered down” as it’s just about everywhere. Most of the bacons that I like more are more “local” when i am traveling. Each place has their own twist/style. Can’t remember the place around Phoenix that had some stellar bacon but if i find the name of it i will share.

I don’t plan on going back to Phoenix anytime soon unless you’re organizing a trip when it’s <90 degrees there. Now, if you have Chicago bacon recommendations, I’m all ears.

@Jdax
Porter Road has their full shop in Nashville.

Cool I’ll tell Leslie that we need to check it out....

We have used a food delivery service for about 10 years now. We place an order every 6 months or so to fill the upright freezer in our garage with meats/seafood/poultry products. We get a great deal and the food is consistently restaurant quality. I'm a fan.

I had one of the Omaha Steaks sausages tonight and it was pretty good. I will reserve total judgement until I try everything, but I would probably just get regular items from the store or a butcher.

I enjoyed the dry ice though because I'm a science nerd.

My wife, before we got married, did the blue apron thing. It was good! Food was high quality, great recipe/instruction cards, and it was fun to cook together.

My wife also shops Vitacost online. They seem to run a lot of sales and have stuff that is sometimes hard to get locally.

My wife will make me go into a Price Chopper this weekend for Friehoffer cookies!

Another great option, I have had several successful purchases from them too, especially for protein powders and recovery powders/drinks.

I have been to several camps and clinics for football and wrestling. You would be surprised at how many strength coaches and nutrition experts talk about how great chocolate milk is for a recovery/ post workout drink!

Back