Unconscious Putting by Dave Stockton

merged with a thread on this book.

I read it prior to last season and you are right. It changed the way I read greens and think about putting for the better.

Anything in particular that has been so helpful?

Anything in particular that has been so helpful?

to me the way he talked about reading greens, esp downhill putts. Instead of just going down behind the ball he talks about different angles that help show more of the line you want. He uses an analogy in one point of a book. Hold open a book and look at it as if it was downhill putt, so tilt the far end down. You can't see the words as much, now if you tilt it towards you, you see a lot more of the words and you can read them. So whenever I am faced with a downhill or side hill putt that I don't really know, I try to always get towards the bottom part of the slope to get a better read on what the ball is going to do.

To me the talk about reading the greens and what to keep an eye out for was the best part.

to me the way he talked about reading greens, esp downhill putts. Instead of just going down behind the ball he talks about different angles that help show more of the line you want. He uses an analogy in one point of a book. Hold open a book and look at it as if it was downhill putt, so tilt the far end down. You can't see the words as much, now if you tilt it towards you, you see a lot more of the words and you can read them. So whenever I am faced with a downhill or side hill putt that I don't really know, I try to always get towards the bottom part of the slope to get a better read on what the ball is going to do.

To me the talk about reading the greens and what to keep an eye out for was the best part.

I should get my hands on a copy then. I suck at reading greens.

I should get my hands on a copy then. I suck at reading greens.

it's a quick read too. He has another one out called Unconscious Scoring. I have not taken so much on that one, but I have not really sat down and made time for it either.

In my attempts to shore up the less stellar parts of my game, I am reading this book. So far I am happy with what I am reading. Seems to simplify the process and make it more about trusting your instincts instead of being over mechanical.

Just bought this on iBooks. The premise really speaks to me. I definitely have gotten way too technical on the putting greens, and I can't read a green for anything.

I just read this for the second time. I forgot Stockton advocated a reverse overlap grip, although he seems to describe the regular overlap. I mean, wouldn't a reverse over grip be cross handed?

At any rate, I'm trying an overlap instead of an interlock grip and am liking how the left hand has more control over the stroke. I might give it a go.

I'm a big fan of his mental approach to putting even though I don't use many of his recommendations on grip/stance. This book was one of the reasons my putting improved this year after being stagnant for 25 years.

Yeah I'm glad I read it again, as I've been getting way too mechanical lately. Picked up a lot of additional info the second time and his general philosophy resonated once again

My putting has really sh#t the bed in the last month mostly due to lack of practice as I was gearing up for my consistent swing for #staffproto. I've read this book and I think I will have to read it again. I've gone from the mechanical side of things to feel based and I remember this book was about this. Thanks for the bump.

I think im going to try and get my hands on another copy of this book. I loved it after i first read it and have no clue where it is now. Right now im struggling with confidence in putting and this will help. Im a big fan of his teaching philosophies

I think im going to try and get my hands on another copy of this book. I loved it after i first read it and have no clue where it is now. Right now im struggling with confidence in putting and this will help. Im a big fan of his teaching philosophies

i think i bought it through itunes and read it on my phone. it really is a great book. i would love to spend some time at his facility.

At my age it looks easier than it is, don't know what else to say!

I read this book the other night, very quick read. I was getting too caught up in the mechanics of my putting stroke and seemed to lose touch with the line mare than the stroke. Because my putting was so bad, I worked on getting the ball closer to the hole on approach. Now, with this process for putting I made way more on putts and only had a few tap-ins for 2 putts yesterday. I can't wait ton get to the practice green and find some good breaks to practice.

I agree with the subconscious theory completely. However, there are a few ideas that need to go with it, which I'm still working on. For example, signing your name is a nice analogy but not quite accurate, because signing your name is a fine motor skill. Putting, especially without the yips, is more of a gross motor skill. A better analogy is running down the stairs. Do we analyze and tell our body how to do each step? No, we just run down. I hope I'm not causing anyone to fall on the stairs. :)

I agree with the subconscious theory completely. However, there are a few ideas that need to go with it, which I'm still working on. For example, signing your name is a nice analogy but not quite accurate, because signing your name is a fine motor skill. Putting, especially without the yips, is more of a gross motor skill. A better analogy is running down the stairs. Do we analyze and tell our body how to do each step? No, we just run down. I hope I'm not causing anyone to fall on the stairs. :)

my biggest takeaway from reading the book was to not worry as much about stroke, and worry more about feel and line. with all the rounds of golf you have played, and all the other life experiences you have had that set your expectations regarding the effects of gravity, friction, laws of motion, etc, you have all the tools you need to get the ball close to the hole. what it taught me was to be really focused on the visual of the ball rolling into the hole, then just step in and make it do what you visualized it doing. don't think "i have to start this stroke with my left shoulder moving under my chin while my wrists stay firm and my lower body stays still, then i need to keep my left wrist pointing at the target at impact in a pendulum motion and keep my head down and blah blah blah." you don't have any of those thoughts when i ask you to throw a ball to me. you just let your natural athleticism take over. i'm sure you have played with people who have RAT NASTY putting strokes, but make everything they look at. as frustrated as i got with the spi instructor i paid to continually tell me that putting was more about feel than anything else when i felt it was my mechanics that were the issue, he was absolutely right.

I've read the book a couple of times but not recently -- I am not big on a forward press or a block, but I do like what he says about the line, not taking a practice stroke, and looking at a spot on your line just in front of the ball. It frees me up in that I am less ball-focused. Sort of like what Spieth does on short putts - he looks at the cup. Stockton says just focus on a spot right in front of the ball... works for me.

Last edited:
i'm sure you have played with people who have RAT NASTY putting strokes, but make everything they look at. as frustrated as i got with the spi instructor i paid to continually tell me that putting was more about feel than anything else when i felt it was my mechanics that were the issue, he was absolutely right.

I invested some time and effort on mechanics just so it would be one less thing to worry about. But you're right, we've all seen all the wonkiest putts but they've been doing these for decades so they're still making some of those putts.

Incidentally, I think the subconscious/unconscious thing also works in all other swings, from full swings to chips.

Halfway through, and the whole concept is really resonating with me. I think I'm usually pretty good at picking out the correctly line, but then I lose it because of my routine...

One of the best putting books out there. I need to re-read this now that I've made some adjustments to my putting set up that are almost natural now. It's all about working on the mental side of putting for me now.

Bumping this one, as I think this is the approach I'm going to take as I try to work on my putting in advance of the Grandaddy. I've been putting much better than I have in recent years this year, but I'm still facing some inconsistencies. A lot of time I've found myself standing over the ball for what feels like way too long. So a couple weeks ago I dusted off the kindle version of the book and went through it again. Still one of my favorite golf books - it focuses on a few things, but leaves a lot of room (and explicitly talks about) making your own "signature" stroke.

I was out playing on Wednesday, and struggled with both distance control and line to start the round. On the back 9 I decided to go back to this approach, which had worked for me in the past. I sunk two long birdie putts and was far more comfortable on short putts. See the line, slight forward press, make the stroke. I know the forward press isn't exactly in vogue these days, but I think it does really help. Been doing some more carpet putting this week, and I feel like I'm starting my putt on the line better, and making more consistent contact.

I'll continue to update this thread as the season goes on.

Bumping this one, as I think this is the approach I'm going to take as I try to work on my putting in advance of the Grandaddy. I've been putting much better than I have in recent years this year, but I'm still facing some inconsistencies. A lot of time I've found myself standing over the ball for what feels like way too long. So a couple weeks ago I dusted off the kindle version of the book and went through it again. Still one of my favorite golf books - it focuses on a few things, but leaves a lot of room (and explicitly talks about) making your own "signature" stroke.

I was out playing on Wednesday, and struggled with both distance control and line to start the round. On the back 9 I decided to go back to this approach, which had worked for me in the past. I sunk two long birdie putts and was far more comfortable on short putts. See the line, slight forward press, make the stroke. I know the forward press isn't exactly in vogue these days, but I think it does really help. Been doing some more carpet putting this week, and I feel like I'm starting my putt on the line better, and making more consistent contact.

Good luck on your journey bud.

I might need to take a look at this as i’ve been losing strokes on the greens this past month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck on your journey bud.

I might need to take a look at this as i’ve been losing strokes on the greens this past month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if you don’t buy into the stroke aspect, there’s a lot of good in there in terms of green reading and getting a routine set.

I started diving in to this book recently. I'm about halfway through and love how he leaves that room to create your own stroke. That is a huge thing to me because I think over the past couple of years I've worried too much about changing my stroke to what it is "supposed" to look like. I need to get this one finished up soon.

Back