JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you like an alignment aid on your driver? If so, what is your preferred look? If not, why?

Yes. But I prefer it to be small and very understated. Do not like any additional crown graphics though.

Something small yes. Not a huge fan of busy crowns

assuming that aid tells me where the sweet spot is, yes, i like it.

I do, the simpler the better. The Callaway Chevron is great. I've also enjoyed nothing near the face like the Nike Vapor Pro or 816 DBD.

Callaway has always had this right with the Chevron imo.

I just like something unique... different haha. Not something that takes up the whole head ala triton. even clean with nothing is ok.

i enjoy the mizuno running bird, Cobra's snake, the old Titleist 910 marker was nice. Wilsons new one on the cortex isn't bad. Although Simple. It's small.

I prefer without, I like the clean look and don’t find they help me much.

If it has one, it has to be small. But I don't find the need for an alignment aide just because I'm just making sure the face is square to the target line.

If it perfectly aligns with the sweet spot, yes. I am not bothered by size.

I like an aid, but nothing too flashy that distracts me. Enough to show me where the sweet spot is, but make it big enough and not distracting.

i don't mind alignement aids, but I prefer if it is subdued

I'd prefer no aid but a small one is fine. It never seems to help me and I never pay attention to it.

I don't care about an alignment aid on the driver.
I always line up the ball a little nearer to the toe rather than dead center of the club face.
I get better dead center contact when doing that with the driver.

Kind of a follow up that maybe someone can answer for sure..... Is the alignment aid there for sweet spot location? I know we'd like to believe it, but Im not sure if that's the case. I mean, we know that the general sweet spot in today's drivers are slightly high and toe-ish (at least on many of the latest drivers I have hit those are my best hits. Low spin, high launch and thing just goes), but does the alignment aid help us in that regard?

I play a Triton and it does not bother me but I cant say I like it either. The little E on my Exotics 3 wood is a nice touch.

Naked top for driver, fairway and hybrid metals is my preference.
Head and ball is enough, when an alignment aid is added to the scene it may become "too busy".

I like a small one, like on callaway drivers, but don't like a busy crown. I did like an old nike driver, I think an SQ, that had nothing whatsoever

Chevron or a mark in the center is OK, but I like the turbolators on the Ping 400 MAX the best.

Kind of a follow up that maybe someone can answer for sure..... Is the alignment aid there for sweet spot location? I know we'd like to believe it, but Im not sure if that's the case. I mean, we know that the general sweet spot in today's drivers are slightly high and toe-ish (at least on many of the latest drivers I have hit those are my best hits. Low spin, high launch and thing just goes), but does the alignment aid help us in that regard?

This is actually not true. In year's past, high on the face was called Hot Spot, but it was more about spin being removed than ball speed. The Balance point of the head, has not shifted higher and towards the toe all that much, but it can be manipulated with weights. As drivers achieve lower CG through use of composite materials, the sweet spot is generally still in the center, but has allowed companies to get higher ball speeds further away.

Yes, minimalist the on the cobra drivers is great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naked top for driver, fairway and hybrid metals is my preference.
Head and ball is enough, when an alignment aid is added to the scene it may become "too busy".

Not a personal attack, just a genuine question. If an alignment aid has the potential to be too busy, what are your thoughts on crown features like Turbulators, Speed Step, or Cobra's 360 Aero crown?

This is actually not true. In year's past, high on the face was called Hot Spot, but it was more about spin being removed than ball speed. The Balance point of the head, has not shifted higher and towards the toe all that much, but it can be manipulated with weights. As drivers achieve lower CG through use of composite materials, the sweet spot is generally still in the center, but has allowed companies to get higher ball speeds further away.

Interesting. Thanks for the clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A small and sweetspot oriented mark is great. No need for too much of a good thing.

I've always really liked the Callaway Chevron or the Cobra logo. I do like something on there though for sure.

Back