Callaway XR16 Driver Review Thread

I bought this driver with the stock shaft but it just wasn't working out...granted I've never been a great driver hitter anyway. I do however have a fistful of shafts so I made my way to the driving range and just started going through them. Narrowed it down to 2 of them pretty quickly and then 1 made the final cut. I've NEVER hit a driver in my life that feels as well as this combo. At first I didn't like the "tinny" sound from the driver impact but after seeing the results I quickly changed my tune. I think in the end I essentially did a more expensive "fitting" of myself. Probably not the best way to go about things but I can honestly say this is the best driver/shaft pairing I've ever had and am excited to play this season with this combo!

Which shaft won out in the end?

Which shaft won out in the end?

Ended up being between the Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 and the Aldila Rogue Black 95 60. Both shafts work very well for me but the clincher is when I drill one with the Aldila is just feels right and is so solid. Honestly I'd be happy with either shaft though. Ironically I don't have a fast swing speed, play Regular flex, and "should" fit into the lighter shaft category. However, I like the driver head to feel as light as possible and the heavier shafts help me in that regard.

Ended up being between the Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 and the Aldila Rogue Black 95 60. Both shafts work very well for me but the clincher is when I drill one with the Aldila is just feels right and is so solid. Honestly I'd be happy with either shaft though. Ironically I don't have a fast swing speed, play Regular flex, and "should" fit into the lighter shaft category. However, I like the driver head to feel as light as possible and the heavier shafts help me in that regard.

I understand where you are coming from. I played heavy shafts for that same reason for the longest time.

Spent some good time with this today at 9* and the stock stiff shaft. I like it so much better than the previous model it's not even funny. Spin was higher than I want though. It was very consistent for me, as well as forgiving. I really want to try the pro version now because it just might have the goods to exceed my current driver.

Got a chance to get out on the course with this driver again today. Boom! Pow! This baby sends it! I had it set to stated loft and neutral and I was hitting it well but low. I tinkered a bit on the back nine and added a degree of lift and kept the face neutral. This made a noticeable difference as my ball was higher but also slightly more of a draw.

This is obviously due to the fact that when you increase the loft, it also inadvertently closes the face a tad. That being said, it wasn't a huge draw and still played well within my usual standard deviation lol.

One other thing of note was that this is now my 6thish round with this head and I may be imagining things, but it has started to feel more lively... I feel like the face is getting more responsive and I'm really liking the feel and sound more than ever now!!!

Thank you Callaway for making this driver and thanks to UST Mamiya for giving it to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was hoping to try this set up tomorrow but looks like rain for the next 5 days in so cal.

396a7699347c8ed17b6828ff0f6287fa.jpg

Was hoping to try this set up tomorrow but looks like rain for the next 5 days in so cal.

396a7699347c8ed17b6828ff0f6287fa.jpg

Enjoy it when you can, in the meantime enjoy the much needed rain.

Callaway XR16 Driver Review Thread

I hit wyzyguy' 9° pro version of this twice now. Both on different sims. Both were slight draws. I got the numbers from Skytrak on the second one. 276 CARRY distance on it. I just can't afford it but wow is it impressive.

Any reasons for going for this head over the pro head?

Any reasons for going for this head over the pro head?

The standard XR 16 should be more forgiving than the XR 16 Pro.

Hope to get some time with this one at Club Clash. My experience with the X2Hot alone makes me curious. Never been a huge Callaway driver fan but this one seems pretty solid.

Wow. Didn't realize willet played the xr16. I saw the witb but just assumed it was the pro. Forgiveness is a good thing

This driver is on the must try list for my upcoming fitting

One other thing of note was that this is now my 6thish round with this head and I may be imagining things, but it has started to feel more lively... I feel like the face is getting more responsive and I'm really liking the feel and sound more than ever now!!!

So it has a break-in period?

So it has a break-in period?

I would not go so far as to call it a break in period... It's possible I was finally finding the center of the club face. I am not able to get back in front of a track man to compare, so I couldn't say if the performance is any different. It's probably just a feel thing, but I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience

Looks like callaway is about to give away 3 of these on twitter and 3 on Facebook outfitted with the LE masters headcover. It goes live at 3PM cst, would be cool of a few THPers could take these home!

Stupidly excited to hit this one this week.

1f7a49f26b694dc4047a3604cc357156.jpg

This guy showed up yesterday won't be able to get it on the range until tomorrow.

Fubuki shaft and UTX grip look great on the club head, and the weighting in a few swings I took on the deck felt great.

Looking forward to your feedback MP.

OK - maiden range trip with the XR16 is in the books.

If I said I hit it well, I'd be lying through my teeth. So, as weird as it sounds, that makes me even more optimistic about this setup for me. I hit some balls straight through the range, looked down at the club face, and I was nowhere near center face. As I expected to do, I ended up dropping it into the -1 setting. This gave me a ball flight I was happy with height wise, as well as opened the face a bit for me, as I found I really wanted to go left with it. Smooth swings just went straight with a little draw and long. But, I'm hesitant to say a ton about the driver until I bring at least my "B" swing.

Probably take it out to the range again tomorrow, and on course at least once this weekend. I'll continue to update. I think this is going to be a fun one. The look of the club definitely takes some getting used to, coming from the Vapor Pro and the Bertha previously. Shallower and longer.

I got mine in the mail today, will be taking it out Saturday. Will report back

got it with the speedster 2 shaft in regular flex. On the sim I hit it a lot more consistent than with my tm stage 2 with the kaili shaft in stiff flex

Back