What makes a great wedge?

Weighting, Feel, Versatility, Looks

For me, I need the head size to be small. I can't look at the big honking heads. I also need very little bounce.
I like a solid, soft feel on all shots. Brand doesn't matter to me. My Scor wedges are absolutely perfect in those areas for me.

I am so picky about wedges but the Wilson Staff PMP check off every box for me so far.
I look for different grinds in my 56 and 60 because I don't really use them the same way.

As a short hitter overall, I place a lot of pressure on my wedge game to help me salvage holes. If I'm looking at my usual third shot being the approach, I need to get it close.

The most important aspect is the look as I address the ball, (inspires a feel of confidence) second is turf interaction, (to help with chunking) third is feel.

Currently, I only play my set PW and SW.

That's a good question. I like a wedge that fits in with my set, currently the only wedge in my bag that's not a set wedge is my lob wedge. I'm not a very good wedge player, so for me the closer to my irons the better.

right,wrong, or indifferent I don't know but I fet the same way. Baught my last iron set all the way up to pw, gw, and sw and even ordered the matching lw. But at the time Cobra had just then discontinued making that amp lw for that set. So I didn't have one till months later when a fellowe THPer gave me a brand new Vokey 60 lw because he didn't care for it. Was really nice of him. One my favorate clubs now.

The fact is that I have no idea what makes a great wedge. Because I am old and lack distance, my instructor and I have dedicated our efforts to my short game which requires good wedge play. Regarding the wedges, I left that in the hands of my instructor and his fitter associate to determine the best wedge compliment for me. I think that I use Titleist wedges and "Titleist" is prominently displayed on my instructor's golf bag is mere coincidence. Someone previously suggested that great wedges are created by good wedge players is relevant in my opinion. Given that I have confidence that my instructor and fitter provided the equipment best suited for me, I like to think that my improved short game is not because of the equipment but my improved ability to use them. On second thought, while I used others to gain confidence in my equipment, perhaps, the yielding or providing confidence makes a great wedge.

While it is basically the grind I think it is important to find a wedge that performs well in the conditions particular to the course conditions. This is especially true for hard/soft/deep/shallow sand. It might also be important for the turf (hard/soft) and even the type of grass.

Looks are the main starter for me with a wedge. Has to be satin or darker, even black is ok. With the groove rules being what they are now, as all as they are at the edge of legal then it will work for me.

Looks (shape and finish), sound, performance.

For me it needs to suit my eye and be able to work with my swing. thats about it. It is very similar to putters for me, if i don't like the way it looks I won't have confidence with it.

It has to be easy for me to use. I have to be able to hit it well consistently.

I have Vokey wedges. I had trouble playing them consistently because they felt so much different than my other clubs. I had an entirely different swing with them. Since my set goes down all the way to LW I replaced them with my set wedges and my shots with the equivalent set wedges were better and more consistent. So are the set wedges better? No, but for me they work better because they feel more uniform. I did buy a 64* PM grind and I seem to be able to hit that.

The wedge(s) that work best for you, why waste your money and time on a wedge that "looks really awesome" if you can't hit them?

I honestly don't think I know. I've only tried 2 different wedges. I'm really just not sure if I know what I'm looking for yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it comes down to one word, versatility!! If I can use it, successfully, in multiple situations then I believe it is great!!

This ^^^^^ 1000%.

Will let you know when I find one. Probably going to have to suck it up and buy a decent one. At the very least build one from golf works for around $60

Call me a fan boy but if it isn't a Titleist or Cleveland I won't play it. Titleist had so many different combinations and grinds and Cleveland has the best looking wedges and has good finishes as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

for me, first and for most is feel, then how it looks....I have a ping zing 2 60* so looks are not that important....lol

What makes a great wedge?

I think versatility is number 1. Full shots and partial shots. Then I like a heavier club head for some reason. As for the looks of it, that doesn't matter a ton to me. I play the pm grind wedge and I actually really like how that wedge looks at address more so then my other wedges. But I don't think I would seek out more wedges that look like that.

I bought my irons down to the PW and am in need of the rest. I could buy the wedges to complete my irons or buy a completely unrelated set of wedges.

As a new golfer, can someone explain why you would/wouldn't play the wedges that are a part of your iron set?

I don't like big ugly cavity back wedges, but I am not good enough to have blades. Blade wedges I can handle though. Mostly a personal choice, and not all wedges that come with a set are big and ugly, sometimes they are different.

For me it comes down to one word, versatility!! If I can use it, successfully, in multiple situations then I believe it is great!!

totally agree... that is the one reason I am having a hard time moving on from my older TM ATV's. But I would say looks matter - that what I really love about the satin Vokey SM6's

I've been through Titleist Vokey wedges, Cleveland wedges, and others, but for me, wedges need to match the rest of my irons. My Ping G25 wedges may not appeal to everyone (although I do like the way they look) but they work for me. When I set up over a wedge, its reassuring to see the same "footprint" on the wedges, as the rest of the irons.

Back