Most Desired Course You Can Play

Bracket.JPG

I'll analyze my final 4.

Shadow Creek over Pebble because, as incredible as the ocean holes are at Pebble, some of it is underwhelming. Shadow Creek seemed to be awesome the entire time. Pinehurst #2 over Kiawah because I've played it and it's amazing all around (maybe a product of the company I shared the round with too). Pinehurst #2 over Shadow Creek based on history, even though I'm sure a round at Shadow Creek would be less frustrating.

This was fun and very testy. I have already played a few of these, but I tried not to take that into consideration.

Bracket.JPG

I was going to say, I never thought Pebble Beach could lose in round 1, but it does on my bracket. huge upset I know but this track looks amazing
It really is a special place. One of the most difficult I ever played.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Will have to fill out the whole bracket later, but I have a final 4 of Bandon, Pebble, Kiahweh and Kapalua. Have played all 4 except Pebble.

Pebble beats Bandon mainly because I haven't played it yet. Kapalua beats Kiahweh because it was a more fun course to play in paradise. So a final matchup of Pebble against Kapalua leaves Pebble as the winner.

Tough draw for Arcadia, it would have been my dark horse to get to the finals against Pebble had it not had to play it so early in the draw.

You definitely should. French Lick is downright amazing.

Did you play the Dye and Ross course up there? I know the Dye is just unbelievable, but it's supposed to be a fairly decent Donald Ross course at the resort too.

Also my dad's boss is a member at Valhalla, but my dad doesn't golf. Trying to figure out a way I can get him to take me there LOL!

That matchup isn't even close in my opinion. I have been lucky enough to play both and Pebble wins hands down. I would say Erin Hills v. Bethpage is a better matchup. Put Arcadia up against Pebble and I think it would be a tighter race. Fun bracket for sure!

Black against Pebble seems unfair to Bethpage. Though any course going up against pebble in the first round would struggle too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Did you play the Dye and Ross course up there? I know the Dye is just unbelievable, but it's supposed to be a fairly decent Donald Ross course at the resort too.

Both. The entire property is awesome.

046afef894a0e2fa1c7306d1baa2ec0c.jpg

Having been lucky enough to play several of these (Bandon, Wolf Creek, Erin Hills and Whistling Straits) I was torn. I'll say that Whisting Straits surprised the hell out of me when I played it.....in a really really good way. Loved that track!

These are definitely some tough choices. I have only had the privilege of playing Pinehurst #2 out of all these so. My final choice was TPC Sawgrass .... just because of all of the talk it gets around time of the Players Championship, being able to play the island green #17.

Courses.jpg

Ok mine is probably a little different and only because of having first hand knowledge of The Broadmoor. For the others I have to rely on second hand accounts and the overall experience they had golfing at these venues. There were plenty of strong contenders, but it boils down to what kind of golf course I like and what others have shared with me.

Final Four was easy for me. Bandon vs. Pebble and The Broadmoor vs. French Lick.

Everyone that goes to Bandon raves about the course and unique challenge each of the different layouts present. They did say that if you get on the wrong side of the weather, it makes for a pretty miserable loop. Pebble on the other hand is iconic and the scenery lives up to what i've seen on TV. Weather is a factor, but it doesnt ruin the experience like it can at Bandon. Pebble advances.

The Broadmoor and French Lick was the hardest decision to make. Each are great designs in their own right and French Lick offers three designs to play from that I have been told are some of the best golf courses you will ever play. The Broadmoor is visually stunning to me, tons of elevation change & offers two courses to test your skills. It's set in the foothills of Colorado Springs and will test every club in your bag. For me The Broadmoor advances by a slim margin.

That brings us to Pebble Beach vs. The Broadmoor. Each has held major championships, each offer visual beauty at every turn and each will require a test of your golfing skills. Admittedly The Broadmoor is one I have played and it's a course I look forward to playing again. The person I know who has played Pebble told me "you play it once, that's enough" so The Broadmoor takes it for me.

Again I know I am in the minority here, but I like a parkland style course that challenges you each shot you take and The Broadmoor does that.

courses.jpg

Ok mine is probably a little different and only because of having first hand knowledge of The Broadmoor. For the others I have to rely on second hand accounts and the overall experience they had golfing at these venues. There were plenty of strong contenders, but it boils down to what kind of golf course I like and what others have shared with me.

Final Four was easy for me. Bandon vs. Pebble and The Broadmoor vs. French Lick.

Everyone that goes to Bandon raves about the course and unique challenge each of the different layouts present. They did say that if you get on the wrong side of the weather, it makes for a pretty miserable loop. Pebble on the other hand is iconic and the scenery lives up to what i've seen on TV. Weather is a factor, but it doesnt ruin the experience like it can at Bandon. Pebble advances.

The Broadmoor and French Lick was the hardest decision to make. Each are great designs in their own right and French Lick offers three designs to play from that I have been told are some of the best golf courses you will ever play. The Broadmoor is visually stunning to me, tons of elevation change & offers two courses to test your skills. It's set in the foothills of Colorado Springs and will test every club in your bag. For me The Broadmoor advances by a slim margin.

That brings us to Pebble Beach vs. The Broadmoor. Each has held major championships, each offer visual beauty at every turn and each will require a test of your golfing skills. Admittedly The Broadmoor is one I have played and it's a course I look forward to playing again. The person I know who has played Pebble told me "you play it once, that's enough" so The Broadmoor takes it for me.

Again I know I am in the minority here, but I like a parkland style course that challenges you each shot you take and The Broadmoor does that.

View attachment 36728

Yours is very similar to mine.

How did you determine the conferences, @JB?

By being all knowing.
Making it hard
Working with the NCAA

Actually it was random.

You guys make me jealous that you have played a lot of these courses before. :banghead:

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 12.39.20 PM-X3.jpg

Because I've always wanted to play there for some reason. :D

Thanks for the great diversion from work!

The bracket was harder than expected to complete. The left side of the bracket favors water whereas right side favors land. I love Pete Dye courses and heard lots of great things about French Lick. I also lived about 90 minutes from there so I'm biased. The Broadmoor Resort is a little too big/busy for my taste but the views and course look incredible. Bandon and Pebble speak for themselves. I went with Bandon for the win because it's on the 2020 bucket list. Biggest problem with Bandon is picking a favorite course...it's a burden I'll gladly accept.

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 12-2.39.20 PM-X3.jpg

Last edited:
I've only played 3 of these courses(Whistling, Broadmoor, Spyglass) but the easy choice for me is Kapalua because of the Hawaii vacation that goes along with playing it.

Only a few head scratchers for me...

5EadMxp.jpg

There are a few courses not in the bracket that would be interesting to add in a larger field.

The above is what I would select with two exceptions, one in the first round, I would take Kapalua over French Lick, and one in the second round, where I would pick TPC Sawgrass over Bandon Dunes. Of course if someone wants to fund a "Research Trip" to verify these selections, I would gladly find the time to play them all to be sure!

Last edited:
Left side dominated this bracket with probably my top 4 choices between Bandon, pebble, Arcadia, and bethpage.
432df1172a9853a8bdff90ff05e66102.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to think I’m pretty good at finding things online, but I can’t find anything about this *Brandon* Dunes people keep posting about. :alien:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently I love ocean courses even though I’ve never played one lol

219bd2fdd53f87e7c98f7cc6c9c4e161.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of links style courses (and I'm played Whistling Straits and Bandon), so there are probably some unexpected upsets here in the early rounds. I clearly need to play in CA more.
L3Y4j2P.png

jGjCeUF.png

I’ve played one! Plantation course well worth it fwiw. I blew my entire yearly golfing away from home course budget, but would do it again.

And going to Vegas so could play a few others. Not paying 500 for shadow but seriously considering renting a car for a day to do Wolf.

R2 (not the seeds I’d pick ftr)
Bandon. Kiawah
Sawgrass. Straits

Pebble (toughest r1 match). #2
Erin hills. Kapalua

R3
Sawgrass. Straights
Pebble. #2

R4
Pebble. #2

Winner: Pebble

I've been fortunate to play 5 (Bandon-Wolf-Pebble-Spy-Kap) of the 16 courses, so I don't know about 11 of the courses.
There are hundreds of phenomenal golf courses, but only one Pebble Beach GC, and that course would win my bracket.

Back