In the coming days I'll be signing my 4 year old up for kindergarten. I know it's been said many times in this thread, but where has the time gone?

Time is going by way too fast.

If you find the brakes let me know k?

Going to orientation next month to see if our daughter wants to go to her first sleep away camp. She's been away for more than a day at a time before, but always friends and family. This is a whole new world, well, it feels that way at least.

I took the car keys away from my recently licensed daughter. She has been allowed to drive to school where the only request I have is that she texts me when she gets there so I know she arrived safely. She was really good about it for the first couple of months but has been slipping and it had gotten to the point of her not doing it which gets my worrying head going and when I reach out to her, I get a response like "I forgot" or "the reception in school isn't good". I figure a week of using the bus will jog her memory.
Yes, I am a worry-wart, always will be.

Just wait until your kids get out of daycare for financial reasons.It usually costs about $8000 per child per year.No discounts for 2 kids.Almost like buying a new car ever year.That is a big chunk of change.Many parents had financial assistance or such.Weirdly those parents were driving Escalades/and such.What a messed up system we have

I took the car keys away from my recently licensed daughter. She has been allowed to drive to school where the only request I have is that she texts me when she gets there so I know she arrived safely. She was really good about it for the first couple of months but has been slipping and it had gotten to the point of her not doing it which gets my worrying head going and when I reach out to her, I get a response like "I forgot" or "the reception in school isn't good". I figure a week of using the bus will jog her memory.
Yes, I am a worry-wart, always will be.
Like it! Driving is a privilege not a right.

Just wait until your kids get out of daycare for financial reasons.It usually costs about $8000 per child per year.No discounts for 2 kids.Almost like buying a new car ever year.That is a big chunk of change.Many parents had financial assistance or such.Weirdly those parents were driving Escalades/and such.What a messed up system we have
Its odd I dont remember having an extra 11k a year before we had a kid, yet there it was all along sitting at a daycare/preschool.

Going to orientation next month to see if our daughter wants to go to her first sleep away camp. She's been away for more than a day at a time before, but always friends and family. This is a whole new world, well, it feels that way at least.
Our kids did this for the first time two summers ago. It is wonderful, for them and for the parents. I hope it works out for you guys.

Our kids did this for the first time two summers ago. It is wonderful, for them and for the parents. I hope it works out for you guys.

Me too, she wasn't real big on the idea until she read through the brochure online, then she was pretty interested. Willing to talk to them at least.

We've been pushing her gently to do new things and try new stuff, so I hope she goes for it.

I find out yesterday my 9 year old step daughter was getting teased by 4th and 5th graders for how she played a recorder and they also added 'you're even more ugly because of your braces'. I'm biased, but Jasmine is a sweet kid and having dealt with a lot of nonsense like that growing up it pisses me off that kids can be so cruel.

I find out yesterday my 9 year old step daughter was getting teased by 4th and 5th graders for how she played a recorder and they also added 'you're even more ugly because of your braces'. I'm biased, but Jasmine is a sweet kid and having dealt with a lot of nonsense like that growing up it pisses me off that kids can be so cruel.
We deal with similar issues with my son. It is BS. Hopefully you can work with the school to put a stop to it.

Me too, she wasn't real big on the idea until she read through the brochure online, then she was pretty interested. Willing to talk to them at least.

We've been pushing her gently to do new things and try new stuff, so I hope she goes for it.
How old is your daughter?

I think the brakes are right beside the parenting manual. :alien:

Its odd I dont remember having an extra 11k a year before we had a kid, yet there it was all along sitting at a daycare/preschool.

This has been discussed here or in the rant thread I think. But yes, I could have found a much better way to spend $7,200 this past year, than on daycare. Unfortunately, I'll still have some of that expense for at least next year, since the school district my son will be going to only has half day kindergarten.

How old is your daughter?

9. She's pretty adventurous but that's a long time away from anyone familiar, so she's a little leery.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

I think the brakes are right beside the parenting manual. :alien:

This has been discussed here or in the rant thread I think. But yes, I could have found a much better way to spend $7,200 this past year, than on daycare. Unfortunately, I'll still have some of that expense for at least next year, since the school district my son will be going to only has half day kindergarten.

Agh. That explains it. I threw that thing away. :alien:

Where we are the schools offer before and after care at a much better rate than any of the private daycare places. Might check that out if it's an option.

9. She's pretty adventurous but that's a long time away from anyone familiar, so she's a little leery.

Very understandable that she'd be a little leery.

Our started at 8 (2 nights, I think) and 10 (5 nights, I think) years old. But they also had a safety net in that they know the director from our church and they had each other there. Are any of your daughter's friends potentially going too? Do you have an option of picking a shorter duration camp? Maybe those things would help. Also, FWIW, these issues didn't exist year 2. Once they'd experienced it one time they were enthusiastically ready to go back.

Where we are the schools offer before and after care at a much better rate than any of the private daycare places. Might check that out if it's an option.

It's cheaper, by about $15 a week. So not all that much. We do have a neighbor that offered to watch him for $40 less a week but then we lose what tax benefit we get. I don't think the neighbor is wanting Uncle Sam to stick his hand in her pockets, so I doubt she'll get a tax id. We're meeting with our tax person in a couple weeks so we'll have to ask their opinion on that.

try 2 kids.It came out to $15250 per year for day care.In Illinois you only get daycare assistance as a family is your total income is less than $231,000 a year.Take out almost $16000 a year for day care and that makes life difficult.Hard to live now when a house hold makes less that $250,000 a year.Way to difficult in some areas.

try 2 kids.It came out to $15250 per year for day care.In Illinois you only get daycare assistance as a family is your total income is less than $231,000 a year.Take out almost $16000 a year for day care and that makes life difficult.Hard to live now when a house hold makes less that $250,000 a year.Way to difficult in some areas.

Well here;s to your health Chip they cant take that away :bananadance:

I think Ohio is like less than $32,000 a year to get assistance. How many households make less than that? I'd have to quit my job to get assistance, but then I wouldn't need the assistance. It's crazy the people that could honestly use the assistance can't get it. My household makes less than $100,000, so......

I think Ohio is like less than $32,000 a year to get assistance. How many households make less than that? I'd have to quit my job to get assistance, but then I wouldn't need the assistance. It's crazy the people that could honestly use the assistance can't get it. My household makes less than $100,000, so......
Oregon is something in this range, too. 250K in Illinois seems crazy generous...couldn't help but wonder if there was a typo that added a digit.

Be thankful it happened so early. My 5 year sometimes decided she can't make it. SMH

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Knock on wood has used the potty every single time and has not went in her diaper in over 3 days. I know there will be accidents but it is fun to watch her be so happy/proud when she knows she has to go and then uses the potty

Oregon is something in this range, too. 250K in Illinois seems crazy generous...couldn't help but wonder if there was a typo that added a digit.
I didn't think of that. Yes $250k is very generous. That or I need to move there because they pay outstanding.

Getting photos helps a lot but not having wife and Calvin around this weekend is gonna suck.

That face haha. Ugh I love him.

4404d0e403f3d365d055c262102941b2.jpg

Epic meltdown at a birthday party? Sure! That always spices things up! Just when you think kids are growing up, they throw you a curve ball and take things back about 5 years. Unreal.

This made Daddy tear up... Switching from crib to big boy bed.

Had a proud papa moment last night. We have been pry training with the youngest for awhile now but always used pull ups at night to avoid accidents.

Last night she wanted nothing to do with the pull ups so I let her sleep in her big girl undies. In the middle of the night I heard her get up and use the potty then straight back to bed. Was so proud of her and hopefully we can be diaper free in this house for the first time in 5 years soon.

Back