Maltby club discussion

Part of the reason I joined THP was reading this thread as a guest, and I saw TheDoubleSee worked at a Golf Galaxy in Wisconsin, and that he had Maltby clubfitting experience. A few PMs led to me visiting him yesterday for a fitting. I didn't have my best stuff, but gave him enough to make a recommendation for my setup with TS-2s. If you need a fitting in the Milwaukee area, go visit him at the Golf Galaxy at Southridge Mall in Greenfield.

Also, in the spirit of the thread, this morning, Golfworks just announced free shipping on all orders over $60 this week!

Part of the reason I joined THP was reading this thread as a guest, and I saw TheDoubleSee worked at a Golf Galaxy in Wisconsin, and that he had Maltby clubfitting experience. A few PMs led to me visiting him yesterday for a fitting. I didn't have my best stuff, but gave him enough to make a recommendation for my setup with TS-2s. If you need a fitting in the Milwaukee area, go visit him at the Golf Galaxy at Southridge Mall in Greenfield.

Also, in the spirit of the thread, this morning, Golfworks just announced free shipping on all orders over $60 this week!
Thanks it was a ton of fun. I think the constant shocking from the turf in there was half of the fun haha.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks it was a ton of fun. I think the constant shocking from the turf in there was half of the fun haha.

Couldn't grab anything without getting zapped! But, you guys have one of the NICEST retail golf stores. Three different fitting / simulation / lesson studios, and all are really nice. I think two have the Foresight LM and Trackman in the other? Nice big club repair area. Just top notch.

Couldn't grab anything without getting zapped! But, you guys have one of the NICEST retail golf stores. Three different fitting / simulation / lesson studios, and all are really nice. I think two have the Foresight LM and Trackman in the other? Nice big club repair area. Just top notch.
Correct. 2 GC2's and a Trackman. The TM only comes out when doing a lesson and they ask for it or if we have enough guys to watch the floor while one of us can stay in/near the room at all times.

The repair area is probably 4 times as big as it was at the other store and I have more toys to play with like the frequency machine :)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I missed this thread.
The latest offerings from Maltby have become second to none in terms of performance and subjectively style. I have put the Maltby heads over the years in direct comparison to OEM clubs and they have never been out performed.
The later offerings of the TS line would be club of the year if it had an OEM stamp on them. Earlier in the year just after release I did head to head comparison of the TS-2 6 iron and the TM P790. Launch, ball speed were virtually identical but the TS-2 spun better,,, as a 6 iron should. That was all direct data from a Flightscope. On course the TS-2 continued to beat out the P790 in consistency and dispersion. In short the Maltby stuff is cutting edge. True forged construction, the latest goo stuffed in a head, the best sole grind available today and a price that is one third of an OEM.
With the price of irons getting higher each year it baffles me that some people dont even consider Maltby irons.
The other release that's been lost in the shuffle is the PTM. Fantastic feel in a mid size head, same sole design and a stupidly low price. Just less tech than the TS line.
DBM is a classic head. It's been in production for a very long time with minor adjustments. It's a true players cavity. No nonsense and business like to the eye. Definitely a traditionalist club.
The hybrids and fairways have always been standouts but the driver lines have been just ho hum the past few years. Their spring launch is supposed to be special with a never done before construction process. Should be interesting as their years past drivers have been outstanding.
You can call me a Maltby homer but I have always backed up my claims with head to head data and you can't argue that.

Congrats on hitting the lottery with the Shaft Up event.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Well, thanks to TheLetterSee, I now have my first new set of irons in years: TS-2s with Kuro Kage shafts. I went +0.75" and 1.0* upright, with D2 SW. I'll chime in with how the graphite works with these heads...

My only comparison is that they are in the same ballpark cost wise as other companies, I considered like Pinemeadow and Gigagolf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. Once I came back to the game and saw what the OEM prices were like I knew I had to find some other options. In fact all 3 companies were considered.

I don't think you can buy a better feeling and easier to hit "players" iron than the TE/DBM.

In my bag amongst the latest and greatest TS line clubs I have an MMB Black 7 iron shafted with a Paderson Kinetixx shaft. A few of the guys were hitting the TS-1 and 2s and they were loving how they felt.
I grabbed the MMB and after few what's that.. they went to hitting it. I'm not sure there is a better feeling in golf than a flushed forged blade. They had fun with it and were pretty shocked at how good some of the bad shots still went.
As a side note the Paderson shafts are crazy long. A lot longer than you would think a graphite shaft should go.

The new TS-2s are here! The new TS-2s are here!

The new TS-2s are here! The new TS-2s are here!

My TS-2s showed up last week, but I couldn't try them until yesterday. Took the wrappers off the PW, 8i and 5i then headed to the sim!

Prior to some lessons in early January, my DBM carry yardages for PW-, 8-, and 5-iron were low 110s, 130s, and 160s, respectively. After practice, my DBM PW carry settled at 120. After yesterday, my TS-2 PW will be my low 130s carry club. Partly due to 2* stronger lofts, but mostly because these heads are the real deal and the combo with the Kuro Kage shafts just work for me!

Feel: Advantage to DBM. On flush hits, the DBM has a strong click and sense of compression. The TS-2 has less click and less sense of compression. My closest analogy is the definite click and feel from flush contact with a wood bat versus a more muted click and feel from aluminum.

Flight: The high/balloon tendency of the DBM is well-documented. The flight of the TS-2 is lower, not piercing. Seems just right for an aging guy trying to squeeze out more distance from what he can feed the swing.

Curvature: Most interesting part of the session. Confirming Popeye's prior post, all shots with all three clubs started straight. For me, the PW ended with a hook, the 8-iron a strong draw, and the 5-iron a nice draw. Lie adjustments likely in order.

Distance: 10-13 more yards with the TS-2, acknowledging 5 yards from the lofts. But, there's more there due to the heads and the head-shaft combo. The cool part was I had a couple of "outlier" shots where everything came together in my swing that tells me I've got more improvement to go! One of the outliers was an 8-iron that carried 160 yards with otherwise normal spin readings. These are going to be fun to work with!

Summary: First, a HUGE thanks again to TheLetterSee for a great fitting. Swing changes still in flux, but starting to gel. My guess is I will need to get the lies flattened to tone down the draw. Overall, I'm very impressed with this club, and I think it represents a great value for the performance it delivers!

Last edited:
The ISO-T new driver head has been listed at 169 per head. Still have no seen photos but the catalogs are coming out soon. This is supposed to be some kind of new construction technique and has a lot of promise. Hope it s a good one.

I snapped my 7 iron shaft when testing my DBM's vs Ping I210's and Z585/785's. I need to replace it, damn Sensicore!

The ISO-T new driver head has been listed at 169 per head. Still have no seen photos but the catalogs are coming out soon. This is supposed to be some kind of new construction technique and has a lot of promise. Hope it s a good one.

Got the catalog today. $170 for the head; $190 in a pak. 450cc head, not adjustable, available in 9.5, 10.5, and 11.5 degree lofts and adjustable weights. Looks like a Titleist head with the dark gray color and triangle alignment mark on the crown.

Ad is very forward on the isothermal (hence the name ISO-T) process used to create the forging. Outside of VFT, not much said about the tech behind the head.

169 is the price of the head. The head weight is 200g but it has a weight port that will accept any of thier weights. Stock weight is 8g.

I dont have my catalog yet but this was a snapshot sent to me. Sounds lie they will be able to maintain so pretty exact tolerances during production. Plus when Britt is excited about a new product it's always good.

From Britt.
No new peeks yet, but we did get the final performance prototype and it is fantastic. Sounds good and the performance numbers are perfect. The finish was not final, so when I can show a more "final" looking product, I will. Very excited about this one. Taken a while and will still be a few months I think before we get product, but the development is finally over and it's going into production. Britt Lindsey
d56f3b8fcf6d983b55de4a05b039d348.jpg

I have been waiting for another big time driver from them for a while. Cant wait.

I see they have the pak listed already. Is anyone planning to pull the trigger and get one, or wait to see some reviews?

I see they have the pak listed already. Is anyone planning to pull the trigger and get one, or wait to see some reviews?

They wont be available for another month or two. Hopefully sooner than later. I will definitely order both a 9.5 and a 10.5 head.

Just out of curiosity, why are you going with the two different heads? And what shafts are you considering?

Just out of curiosity, why are you going with the two different heads? And what shafts are you considering?

I do a decent amount of club building through out the year so both will be sort of a demo, but also playing clubs. In the summer I love a low flying club that runs forever and there are some tight courses I play that demand you find the fairway.
For shafts I will try the Xcaliber Pro TSL. It's a lightweight shaft the I have had very good luck with in other heads. Another shaft I want to try is the Paderson TS series driver shaft, a D2. I love their TS series iron shafts and wanted to try the driver shafts. I can get them for about $80 so it's a great value.
I will probably mount the heads with a ClubConnects adapter so I can swap in different shafts.

I do a decent amount of club building through out the year so both will be sort of a demo, but also playing clubs. In the summer I love a low flying club that runs forever and there are some tight courses I play that demand you find the fairway.
For shafts I will try the Xcaliber Pro TSL. It's a lightweight shaft the I have had very good luck with in other heads. Another shaft I want to try is the Paderson TS series driver shaft, a D2. I love their TS series iron shafts and wanted to try the driver shafts. I can get them for about $80 so it's a great value.
I will probably mount the heads with a ClubConnects adapter so I can swap in different shafts.

I look forward to reading your reviews. As much as I promised myself I would not buy another driver this year I am very interested in this one.

I look forward to reading your reviews. As much as I promised myself I would not buy another driver this year I am very interested in this one.

I think this one is going to be special.

Have you played with their KE4 drivers? If so, how are they?

I'm happy that they finally will offer a higher loft driver which makes it likely I will give one a go this summer.

Back