Callaway MD3 Wedges Review Thread

they kicked the bridgestone wedges out of my bag too. Lake J was my first round with them, and the results were fantastic. I guess it depends on your iron misses, if you miss by a lot, get the 52 and play lower shots, if you short side yourself and miss by 5 yards, get the 58 lol
So, both. Thanks a lot for the help, Jed.

So, both. Thanks a lot for the help, Jed.
maybe tighten up that iron game...? I know my misses are all over the place, hence why I have 3 MD3's in the bag now lol. I'll take that commission check now from Mr Cleveland...

Do the MD3 face and grooves hold up fairly well after some use. This was a knock on the MD2, probably because the texture on the face wearing away fairly quickly even though it may not have had much effect on groove durability. I believe the MD3 wedges are 8620 steel, same as the Vokey SM5 I think. The SM5 face and grooves go through a hardening process but the MD3 wedges might not, so there is some concern there for me. The Mizuno wedges seem to have the face and grooves wear down fairly quickly, must be because of the soft steel.

I hit a Cally MD3 56.12 W today along side a Mizuno S5 56.10 and a Vokey SM5 54. Even though the MD3 was a little heavier than the other two, the distance was as good or maybe slightly better than the other two, and the feel was Am probably going to try a couple of these fairly soon, probably a 56.12 W and 60.09 S, or 60.11W.

Finally pulled the trigger on a couple of Cally MD3 wedges, white satin 54.10S and 60.09S. The 54 will be bent to 55 degree. If these work out pretty well I will probably try the 56.12 W grind later on. Have had good results at one of the local golf stores with these clubs. Seem to be a little longer than the Vokey SM5 on full swings and have a pretty darn nice feel for a cast club. About the only thing I am concerned about with these is how long the face and grooves might last with some fairly hard practice use (I won't practice a lot with these out of sand bunkers but instead will use different wedges for that to save wear and tear. Here in the North West the W grind should work quite well other than maybe the wet bunkers we can get quite a bit. I am trying to shallow out the wedge swings and like to play with an open face so the S grind should be fine up here as well.

Finally pulled the trigger on a couple of Cally MD3 wedges, white satin 54.10S and 60.09S. The 54 will be bent to 55 degree. If these work out pretty well I will probably try the 56.12 W grind later on. Have had good results at one of the local golf stores with these clubs. Seem to be a little longer than the Vokey SM5 on full swings and have a pretty darn nice feel for a cast club. About the only thing I am concerned about with these is how long the face and grooves might last with some fairly hard practice use (I won't practice a lot with these out of sand bunkers but instead will use different wedges for that to save wear and tear. Here in the North West the W grind should work quite well other than maybe the wet bunkers we can get quite a bit. I am trying to shallow out the wedge swings and like to play with an open face so the S grind should be fine up here as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about the additional wear and tear on your new wedges when practicing in sand bunkers. Practicing with your game wedges should IMO be more beneficial, and you would build more confidence with them.

I wouldn't worry too much about the additional wear and tear on your new wedges when practicing in sand bunkers. Practicing with your game wedges should IMO be more beneficial, and you would build more confidence with them.

You have a good point but I think some good practice with an old beater will still help the bunker game quite a bit, that is unless the old beater has a much different feel or design, appreciate your input regardless though.

I hit mine today for the first time and I am a believer. I'm thinking about swapping out the CF 16 AW for a 50º-10 S now. MD3s are the truth.

What differences did you notice between your CF 16 AW and the MD3?

Hi everyone out there in THP land...Im looking to add a SW in either 54 or 56 and replacing my 58 with either a 58 or 60. My question is for people playing these with the W grind. Are they hard to play from tight lies? My local course is semi-firm from the fairways but quite a lot of fluffy lies around the greens. I mainly use my LW out of bunkers and around the green and looking to use the SW for longer bunker shots and from the fairway. Would the W grind be all that bad on firm ground if u still swing steep? My current 58 is a MD2T and im intrigued what the extra bounce would be like...
Thanks in advance

I've not had any issues playing the w grinds off tight lies, abs here we get that lie most of the year. Now, can you open it up as much off Hardman as you can the other grinds, no, but its all about what you need. I need the bounce on both my 54 and 60 so it works crazy well for me.

Thanks Jman for such a quick response.
I only ever open the face on my 58 when i need to, but i think the 60 played square faced would give me the same result. Do you play full shots with your 60? What do you use from greenside bunkers, your 54 or the 60? Sorry for all the questions mate. I really appreciate other opinions on this sort of thing..

Thanks Jman for such a quick response.
I only ever open the face on my 58 when i need to, but i think the 60 played square faced would give me the same result. Do you play full shots with your 60? What do you use from greenside bunkers, your 54 or the 60? Sorry for all the questions mate. I really appreciate other opinions on this sort of thing..
Ill jump in here too. I usually dont play full shots with my 60 but i do use it in greenside bunkers and i have the W grind. I think thats where this club shines the most. On chip shots on tight lies ive found that both the W and S grind react similar. Your first post talked about 60 for greenside bunkers and 56 for longer bunker shots and thats exactly how i play my set up

Someone mentioned in a post I made the other day, that the PM Grind is really good in the 60 around the greens. Does anyone else have any experience with the PM Grind and is it worth getting it in the 60, or would it be better just to stick with the regular MD3 through the set?

I use a 60 pm grind around the green. Only in spots because I don't use that much loft with normal pitches and chips. But with deeper grass or sand it's my go to club and works very well for me.

Thanks JB. I think I need to get both versions out on the course and give them a go and see which I prefer!

This is exaclty what I watched yesterday which makes me think the PM Grind could be really good for those short shots/ flop shots/ sand shots from around the green. I've moved away from using my 60 for all my short game, so having it as almost a "special" club for these type of shots, interests me greatly.

I use a 60 pm grind around the green. Only in spots because I don't use that much loft with normal pitches and chips. But with deeper grass or sand it's my go to club and works very well for me.

What grind is your 54* JB?

Thanks guys for the info. I will try them soon on the range atleast to see what i prefer and if the results differ. 2 of these in black will probably go in the bag before long

What the skinny on those shafts???

There are a couple of Dynamic Gold Black custom shaft options available on Callaway's site ($30ish upcharge IIRC). Very serious ponder for me right now for a 58* or 60* and maybe PM grind.

There are a couple of Dynamic Gold Black custom shaft options available on Callaway's site ($30ish upcharge IIRC). Very serious ponder for me right now for a 58* or 60* and maybe PM grind.
I'm on my phone and couldn't find those. I'll look tonight.

What the skinny on those shafts???

Exclusive to Callaway, pretty bad a$$ looking.

Check out the awesome interview Dean did with Roger Cleveland. He talks about them, and a whole lot of other stuff.

Back