Practice vs play ratio

playing is the best practice! used to hit balls almost twice a week and then would play nine holes and couldn't get any good tempo going. Hitting at the range just doesn't translate much to the course imho.

I play about 5-10 times a year and practice 1-2 times a year. I practice when I have not played in a long time, which usually means March or April when it has been 6 months since I hit a golf ball.

My main reason for not practicing is I don't make it to a course a lot, so I would rather play 9 holes for the enjoyment factor. Hopefully someday I will have more time to do more playing and practicing.

I love to practice.
Practice 75 % Play 25 %
Hard to carve out 5 hours sometimes.
Practice is 60-70% short game 30% Full Swing.

I have a hard time believing you can be serious about Golf without practice.
I understand the social component of on the course but actually hitting a golf ball is enjoyment to me ~ plus less pressure.
Additionally, if I am having a bad day on the course it affects me much more than a bad practice day.
I have some friends who drive up to the course 10 minutes before Tee time (which I despise) and I like to get there an hour ahead and warm up or try to get in a groove.
I also watch a lot of the Golf Channel swing shows and also enjoy watching a tournament (minus all the "in the hole" comments on every putt).
Could be I'm a bit odd like that. :arrogant:

98% play vs 2% practice. I know I need to change that. Just enjoy playing so much more than practice.

98% play vs 2% practice. I know I need to change that. Just enjoy playing so much more than practice.
right now I would say for every round I hit the range about 8x in between. I am thinking I need more actual playing

Once the season starts back up I end up doing a lot of practice on the course, especially weekdays.

After how crapalicious my play has been lately, I think I need to crank up the practice time a bit. Right now it's probably 80/20, but I should probably go to 60/40. It's tough when there's limited daylight though and it's much more fun to play on the weekends.

I am playing once during the week and generally hit the range once once on the weekend to hit balls. Sometimes I will follow up with the short game practice. After getting some putting instruction from my instructor I have been doing more work on putting at home - even bought a Skilz putting mat to work on my stroke. Putting is where I am losing strokes right now. If I had to add more golf time on my schedule it would be to play a bit more often, add a weekend round 1 or 2 times a month.
I'm one that too much range time is counterproductive if I don't temper it with more playing. On the range my swing can get bigger than it should be. I do have to spend more time practicing my short game. It hasn't been bad, but I have taken it a bit for granted lately.

I'd much rather play than practice any day of the week. But when I do, I practice with a purpose. Work on one or two specific things instead of just beating balls. Luckily a club very near my house has a great range and chipping area, so when I do get the chance, even if its for a few minutes in the afternoons on the way home, I will stop by and hit a few. When in doubt though ... work on the short game. That's where you score!

I practice putting more than anything else, maybe as much as 4-6 hours a week almost year round because I have a practice green in my man cave. In the spring I practice full shots for an hour or more for every round I play and during the summer months once my swing is dialed I might only hit balls for 15-30 minutes for every round I play. The last few years I've discovered that having a golf specific exercise routine and sticking to it at least a couple days per week is maybe more important than hitting full practice shots on the range. It only takes me about 20 minutes to do my golf exercise routine with weights cable machines but it allows me to stay in my posture and keeps me strong and flexible so I'm able get into the right swing positions. Turning 50 requires some extra work!!

Last edited:
I'm practicing less than normal this winter and I can notice a difference for sure. Some scores are still OK but I have less of a handle on my swing right now.

I've gone from my usual 2 range sessions per week to 1, and I'm trying to make a couple small changes. I intend to ramp it back up once the local Mini Tour season starts, and/or a THP Event comes into play, the weather improves, and more daylight shows up.

I've purposely all but eliminated practice. I'll go hit balls if I'm not able to play for a couple of weeks just to hopefully stay in the groove (which I'm never really in anyway), but actual "try to accomplish something" practice is essentially nonexistent.

The reason is that it has historically been more destructive than productive for me. A bad day at the range kills confidence for my next round, and a good day is thrown out the window with my first bad shot. I also can't keep from tinkering at the range.

As much as I try to focus, pretend like it matters, or simulate a round, I always subconsciously know that whatever happens on the range doesn't matter at all.

I have no doubt that I could benefit from practicing chipping and putting, but that's not fun.

If rolling putts on my indoor practice green counts as practice, then it's probably 95% play, 5% practice. If it doesn't, put me in for 100% play.

Practice putting only, that is the weakest part of my game and has helped a great deal in lowering the handicap. I'll hit 3 balls into the net at my home course just to loosen up.

Back