Facebook....anyone dropping it?

DNice26

Happy to be here...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Curious, in light of all the recent negative press.....anyone looking to drop out?

I just downloaded my info from FB and deleted my account. I'm keeping my Instagram for now though.

I'm guessing I'll get back into it some day, but for now I'm taking a break.

Curious, in light of all the recent negative press.....anyone looking to drop out?

I just downloaded my info from FB and deleted my account. I'm keeping my Instagram for now though.

Do you have a link to a good FAQ on doing what you did? Facebook is trash now and I want out. Will be keeping insta, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have THP on there, but I have to ask, with Instagram being owned by FB, why would one offer more security than another?

I am not dumping it, but the goal is to phase it out as much as possible (not due to the press), but for a desire to be more present and actually interact with the people I know.

I have FB, I use it occasionally. I've thought about deleting it but I am able to keep in touch with people I otherwise wouldn't be able to...IF I want to. What is the negative press about? I haven't been paying much attention lately

We have THP on there, but I have to ask, with Instagram being owned by FB, why would one offer more security than another?

I am keeping both, I don't do too much activity on Facebook though.

I knew this was coming. Agreed. All or none is the logical approach, I recognize this. For now, I guess I'm slowly stepping away you might say. Dunno, just a bit disenchanted at the moment I guess.

I knew this was coming. Agreed. All or none is the logical approach, I recognize this. For now, I guess I'm slowly stepping away you might say. Dunno, just a bit disenchanted at the moment I guess.

Makes sense. I think their negative press with security and other items is a scape goat in some ways for a lot of people to say "I dont like it anymore" and move on. While they enjoy the other platform and can stay on it. Personally I dont use either really, so Im not impacted, but I get it. I prefer the news timeline of Twitter rather than the only seen if boosted timeline of Facebook.

I was just about to say the same thing. It's the same company.

Do you have a link to a good FAQ on doing what you did? Facebook is trash now and I want out. Will be keeping insta, as well.

When you go to delete your account, they give you the option to essentially save everything you've done in FB. I guess, in case you decide you wanna go back. It's all quite easy to do really. I saved off my photos and videos.

Some day I'll wake up and change my mind. Perhaps I'm over-reacting. Dunno.

BTW, I'm not encouraging anyone to leave FB. Was just curious if others were thinking about it.

I'm fairly disconnected from all of the policy knowledge and such, what changes have/will come that affect privacy and security that have anyone concerned?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

For me it's not so much a security thing as a privacy thing. In that case, Facebook has more information about you than Instagram does. That said, if you're talking about bad business practices and leaving Facebook for that (Which I'm considering), I do agree that it is somewhat disingenuous to keep Instagram. However, I still at least get some value from Instagram, so I'm willing to fight against logic there a bit.

Much like elsewhere....the snooze or ignore buttons are a great way to weed out most of the BS. At least in my friends that I still care to follow, it hasn't spiraled into the political hornets nest that Twitter has. I mostly use it for groups and don't post but once or twice a month and never get any likes, so my self esteem is just at an all time low from that :alien:

I'm fairly disconnected from all of the policy knowledge and such, what changes have/will come that affect privacy and security that have anyone concerned?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It's not so much changes as them telling bald-faced lies when asked by regulators and others about what they're doing with data. And basically end-arounding preferences by users of what they want shared and not.

Facebook is a way to keep in touch with my massive -flung family of siblings, cousins and friends. If they are interested in my comments on my grand nieces Halloween princess costume so be it. I don't use my Facebook id to access any other account and don't have it on my phone.

For me it's not so much a security thing as a privacy thing. In that case, Facebook has more information about you than Instagram does. That said, if you're talking about bad business practices and leaving Facebook for that (Which I'm considering), I do agree that it is somewhat disingenuous to keep Instagram. However, I still at least get some value from Instagram, so I'm willing to fight against logic there a bit.

It's not so much changes as them telling bald-faced lies when asked by regulators and others about what they're doing with data. And basically end-arounding preferences by users of what they want shared and not.

Right. But if its about the lies they told regulators, I can't understand the reasoning behind keeping the brand, right?
It would be like Tesla telling lies (which they did) and saying you wont buy a Model S, but then buying a Model 3...haha.
And I should add, Im just trying to understand the scope of how it impacts, not demeaning anybody's choices.

I haven’t posted on there in a long time but only check for THP and golf related posts. If it wasn’t for that, I would have deleted the app. For me, it ran its course a while back.

I only use Facebook for the private groups where I find it quite useful.

I could see myself unplugging from facebook one day, but it wouldnt be due to security concerns.

Deleted FB years ago and still have all my close friends. The 80% of my FB friends I lost I hardly knew anyway. Haven't missed it for one (1) minute.

Right. But if its about the lies they told regulators, I can't understand the reasoning behind keeping the brand, right?
It would be like Tesla telling lies (which they did) and saying you wont buy a Model S, but then buying a Model 3...haha.
And I should add, Im just trying to understand the scope of how it impacts, not demeaning anybody's choices.

For me it's scope of info - Facebook was basically selling out that graph (and private messages/pictures!) while simultaneously trying to get people to move most of their communication to the platform. Instagram for me is just me looking at golf pictures and dog pictures. I'm not sharing much there, so there's not as much at risk. But yes, I 100% agree with your premise here.

At the same time, when there's talk of risk, I think there's something to be said for "squatting" on your name/profile and just never using the service, rather than cutting bait completely. I've known a couple of people who have had randos use their name/picture from another service to create an account on Facebook, and without an account they had a really hard time getting it taken down.

And that's probably why I'll keep my account open, but not use it for anything.

I use Facebook but not very much. Couple people I keep in contact with that way.

Deleted mine a few months ago. Not due to security issues, really, mainly due to it being a large time-suck. It also gets really annoying around election time so I just decided to get rid of it. I haven't really missed it.

Once FB became open to everyone instead of just .edu emails my participation on the site dropped quite a bit. I still go on out from time to time, and it is good for group activity, but I hardly post on the site anymore.

Not dumping it any time soon but I've transitioned from "active" to "lurker/stalker" over the last several months.

I use it for nothing other than THP & entering golf contests on the web. Other than that, pretty much non-existent.

Back