2018 Retrospective - Favorite round played

McLovin

grateful for this community
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hard to believe, but another year is almost over.

Yesterday I played what is very likely to be my last round of 2018. I say it every year, but I didn't play as much as I wanted to. That said, many of the rounds I played were incredibly fun and special.

I think the round I reflect on the most fondly was Saturday afternoon at Hammock Beach Ocean Course in the 2018 Morgan Cup. It was alternate shot. @littlerat from Cobra Golf and I were representing Team Paradise, and we were taking on @pkorf and @mjkladis from Team Hackers. The match was fun, but at times both teams were grinding because it's the f'ing Morgan Cup, AND alt shot!

Jose and I closed out our opponents on the 15th hole. It was like a weight was lifted off everyone, and all of a sudden we all started smiling, laughing, and having fun playing the last 4 holes. Maybe the fireball we downed after the match ended helped lift the spirits! Nonetheless, there was something so special about those last 4 holes, and I remember those very fondly.

So THP. Looking back on 2018, what was your favorite or most memorable round of golf you played in 2018?

That round was a blast!! I had a great time all the way until the end!

For sentimental reasons, though, I have to choose the round with my dad this summer. It's been a tough year and I was able to get him a full bag of new Callaway clubs and we enjoyed the maiden voyage of them together. We had a great time and it was great to just spend time with just him again since I moved out earlier this year and I was about to embark on one of many new journeys in life: marriage.

With THP, I've got 2 that immediately come to mind, both came extremely late in my season, within the last 4 rounds I played.

1) Ultimate Weekend round #1 at the Ocean Course at Hammock Beach. It was an awesome time reuniting with my cartner, @OITW and we had @JohnSinVA in the other cart with Keenan from True Temper. There was a lot of good golf and a ton of laughs, I'd take that round any day.

2) Reuniting with the Michigan boys up at Eagle Eye this fall. @Michigan Slice @Lions81 and @jdtox had a blast getting back together and playing an awesome course. An unfortunate run-in with the cart girl may have prevented Damien from running for any political office and, again, tons of laughs were had.

My favorite round played is always any round I get to enjoy with my Dad.

Outside of that though, I was VERY fortunate this year to play a few amazing courses:
1. THP Odyssey Event - playing at Haig Point. What a track and to be lucky enough to meet JB, THPers and share a round with Mr. Fireball (Luke) and try out his Cally Forged with PX 7.0s! : ) Grins for life.....
2. I traveled to Whistling Straights and played all of the courses there. The Straights course was Jaw dropping. So many Epic holes there. Dye really wants you to have a heart attack on every tee.
3. Couldn't play in my local clubs CC this year due to schedule conflicts, but was able to play in our two man handicapped CC with a close buddy. We managed to win it and it wasn't easy, so that was a blast.

2018 was sooo much fun for me. Enjoyed it thoroughly...

2) Reuniting with the Michigan boys up at Eagle Eye this fall. @Michigan Slice @Lions81 and @jdtox had a blast getting back together and playing an awesome course. An unfortunate run-in with the cart girl may have prevented Damien from running for any political office and, again, tons of laughs were had.

That was a fun round and that run in with the cart girl was pretty hilarious. Always a good time.

For me has to be the afternoon round at Hammock Beach with @Tadashi70, @jsizzle and Mike Yagley. Match was back and forth the entire time and included some shots I will never forget from both sides.

Most memorable for me was playing Shadow Creek the Monday before The Match. I met Joe LaCava on the 4th green (where he stroked my ego and told me "looks like three good ones so far"...followed by me whiffing on the 25 foot birdie attempt....gah) and eagled #7.

Overall 2018 was the best and most memorable year golf-wise for me and it's going to be difficult to top. Hopefully a THP event in 2019 will take care of that :)

From a good golf stand point I’m struggling to find any one. Didn’t have it all year. From a fun & learning stand point it’s the first day round at El Campeon with JohnSinVa and JB. Memorable for more than me hitting a hotel or putting one 40 feet off a green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to cheat and say a few

1) Playing Bellerive for the first time during Shaft Up with JB, Danny, Moose, and the Asst Pro Jeffrey. Playing a beautiful course that was hosting the PGA Champ a few months later with great guys
2) The round at Eagle Eye with Tpluff, Michigan Slice, and Jdtox. A lot of laughs on a fantastic golf course.
3) Playing on Father's Day with my Dad, Father-in-Law and my Wife. Each year I treasure that day more as they both get older. We always have a lot of fun and its way less about golf than just enjoying being together.

Team golf w/ @dacatalyst41 the first day of the Grandaddy. The whole group was incredible, the location couldn't be better - I didn't play well at all, but I was having a better time than I had when I shot my PB earlier in the year. Just a perfect day of golf. If I want to get even more specific, the Pinehurst round was just about perfect. Clayton and I were clicking, bailing each other out of tricky situations, and keeping it close. It was just a perfect round of team golf.

The next day was no slouch either. That's a week of golf that will never be matched.

That’s a tough one for me. I was fortunate enough to get to play a couple rounds with some members this year. One in Maine with PatsFan and one here in VA with jcurtis2010. All three rounds of the Morgan Cup were fantastic. I probably have to say the final round at the Conservatory course stands out though. PKorf was such a great guy to share a cart with and battling it out 18 holes with my good friend PatsFan was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I got skunked on Events there is no official favorite memory this year, just sadness and self pity...but I did have a blast at the unofficial Event in Orlando and any round I got to play with Freddie or Chris or Ethan or Mike or Steven or Pudge and all the folks at Kinderlou.

I went down to Atlanta in October and played a round with a longtime friend who moved there 7 or 8 years ago. It was pouring that morning when I arrived, but we decided to truck on. Got to the course at noon and started, but had to come back in after 1 hole because the rain was so hard. We went back out after about 30 minutes and a beer and it turned into a fairly nice overcast day with no more rain. As the course dried out we started playing a bit better. We were playng hammer for $1 hole with greenies and birdies double. I lost $18 on the round so I threw my buddy a $20. We decided to try for 1 more 9 before dark and no one had won a greenie yet. The 8th hole was a 180 yard strait away par 3 so I took my 4 iron and gave it a go after my friend missed front right. I struck it right on line and on distance and left my self with an 8 footer to get down in 2 for the greenie. I nailed the putt and got the double for birdie and a 2 hole carryover for $10 total on the hole. He pressed me on 9 our final hole and I parred it win my $20 back. It was a great round with a great friend and we ended it even.

My favorite round with THP'ers this year was with all the Clowns :clown: during our last invitational held early in the year. All the guys came back to the Nut Cave afterwards for some hockey & laughs. @moosejaa @Scrap Iron @crest4 @dwchockey13 @MPlefty @jcurtis2010 and others ... that weekend was a blast to say the least.

My last round in 2018 in February with my father turned out to be my last with him forever as he passed away in August. It's been hard setting foot on the golf course every time since then & will continue to be since he was the one who taught me the game. I've never taken a formal lesson from anyone other than him. I used to be able to go to him & tell him what my issue was, he would look at my swing once & would always be able to fix it. This was the way it was all thru high school & college. Every time I go to a local course to play a round, I always have fond memories of playing with him there. Funny how I can remember certain rounds with him years & years ago at the golf course but I can't remember what I had for dinner two nights ago. Love the people in your life, since you never know when it's your time.

Hard to choose just one but definitely one of the Tahoe courses from the gathering earlier this year. Simply stunning courses and great group of THPer's!

I wasn't able to attend any THP events in 18, but I think the most memorable was my round on July 4th. I shot a +2 36-38=74. A PB for me and was with 3 other great guys I golf with regular. Hoping in 2019 that I can finally get that round of par golf or better.

Getting introduced to the Gethering at Kinderlou, easy. Great guys at a great course, and a wonderful way to get to know the GA/FL guys. Hoping to see it come back again in 2019 even bigger.

My favorite round with THP'ers this year was with all the Clowns :clown: during our last invitational held early in the year. All the guys came back to the Nut Cave afterwards for some hockey & laughs. @moosejaa @Scrap Iron @crest4 @dwchockey13 @MPlefty @jcurtis2010 and others ... that weekend was a blast to say the least.

My last round in 2018 in February with my father turned out to be my last with him forever as he passed away in August. It's been hard setting foot on the golf course every time since then & will continue to be since he was the one who taught me the game. I've never taken a formal lesson from anyone other than him. I used to be able to go to him & tell him what my issue was, he would look at my swing once & would always be able to fix it. This was the way it was all thru high school & college. Every time I go to a local course to play a round, I always have fond memories of playing with him there. Funny how I can remember certain rounds with him years & years ago at the golf course but I can't remember what I had for dinner two nights ago. Love the people in your life, since you never know when it's your time.

that was a great weekend for sure, one of the hilights of 2018 for sure

Man, sitting here doing a mental inventory of the rounds I've played this year, it's tough to just pick one! But I think the one that stood out the most to me was the round at Schaffer's Mill after the inaugural Tahoe Open with @ASN21, @Nate, @itsOpeningDay and @tequila4kapp. The course was immaculate, the company was amazing and we all enjoyed the round. It was a fitting end to what ended up being an incredible weekend of golf!

Man, sitting here doing a mental inventory of the rounds I've played this year, it's tough to just pick one! But I think the one that stood out the most to me was the round at Schaffer's Mill after the inaugural Tahoe Open with @ASN21, @Nate, @itsOpeningDay and @tequila4kapp. The course was immaculate, the company was amazing and we all enjoyed the round. It was a fitting end to what ended up being an incredible weekend of golf!
Didn't you play Pebble in 2018?!?!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Didn't you play Pebble in 2018?!?!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That was 2017. Pebble and Spyglass within a week. Probably won’t ever be beat unless I get to play Cypress!

Schaffers's Mill was so lush :eek:k:

Playing Shadow Creek with Ron for the my 50th bday and playing Wekopa with Corey from Wilson, we were kind of on fire!!!

Back