THP Roundup - Bluetooth Speakers For Golf Review

I agree that the red soundchuck is a great deal. I just want to make sure I get something I'm going to like. I have a friend who uses a Bose Soundlink II that sounds amazing. He has a case that velcros onto the cart. There are tons of bluetooth speakers out there (I just went to CES).

For what it's worth, I'm consider myself a low end audiophile for the last 25 years and sold high end audio and video equipment for a decade or so. As a result of having a couple teenagers and a 10 years old, we also own 7 of these bluetooth speakers ranging in price from $40 to $600. Most of them under $75 are really quite bad and not worth buying IMO but here are some that I like at difference price points.

Under $50, the Muvo Mini is small and sounds great. I just got one of these in bright Red for my 10 year daughter and it sounded much better in the mids and highs than the other 20 or so that I listened to before we bought. You will get better sound and especially better bass as you move up in price and size. At $76 the JBL Flip 2 is hard to beat At $100 the Ultimate Ears Roll is waterproof and has great sound. In the $130-$160 range there are many great choices, including the UE Boom 2, JBL Charge 2+, and Creative Sound Blaster Roar 2. Must be something with these all having a "2" in their names!:act-up: At $200, The Fugoo Style or Tough models are amazing and have a 40 hour battery at 50% volume, at least twice that of anything else I've seen. If you want to talk the higher end stuff over $300, that a much longer discussion but you can send me a PM if you're going that route.

Last edited:
Would love to see this for bluetooth headphones... it seems hard to find a good pair that works with the motions of the golf swing.

My wife and I have purchased 2 UE booms as you can link the together for even better sound using the handy app. I would put it up against the bose minisoundlink in every category except for bass, and it is not far behind in that regard.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Looking at the Amazon deal, http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ET...soundchuck&dpPl=1&dpID=41ybPSjyDbL&ref=plSrch

Are they the same model PMAD6050 as the ones for $129 retail? Just seems weird they don't list the model of the red ones, any thoughts?

If you want the Red color and don't need the splitable design of the the Soundchucks, I can wholeheartedly recommend this one from Creative Sound. http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Pock...UTF8&qid=1454519116&sr=1-2&keywords=muvo+mini

For $10 more than the Soundchuck you get twice the wattage and a battery that's 2200mAh vs. 1100mAh. It also waterproof(ours has been dropped in the hot tub) and has a great small size for a golf bag or cart at only 0.6 pounds and 7.4" x 1.7" x 1.4".

I bought one for my daughter recently and she gets about 8-10 hours of battery life. There are 135 reviews on Amazon for this Muvo Mini and it has 4.5 stars, I would give it 5 stars at the size and price. Here's a more in depth review if you want. http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews...av-speakers/creative-muvo-mini-1295597/review

Last edited:
Would love to see this for bluetooth headphones... it seems hard to find a good pair that works with the motions of the golf swing.

I've got a pair of Plantronics Back Beat Go. I use them on the range and for other stuff. Great sound.

Regarding the Puma SoundChuck ... first off, loved the packaging. Right out of the box, the thing screams quality. Also like the charging cord which can double as a direct connection to the speaker, and the velvet carrying bag. Making a connection was pretty simple and done within ten seconds of turning the device on. The sound is also really good. Don't think it's fair to compare this sound-wise to my Bose SoundLink Color, but for the price and the footprint, this will find itself more a part of my golfing routine than the Bose will.

I've been using my UE Boom nearly daily for the last 6 months. I use it on the course, during shower time and at the beach. Its been dropped too many times and been doused in sand and water more than once. Thing works awesome and sounds fantastic. I really love that I can take it to the beach and rock out all day long, the battery lasts forever.

Regarding the Puma SoundChuck ... first off, loved the packaging. Right out of the box, the thing screams quality. Also like the charging cord which can double as a direct connection to the speaker, and the velvet carrying bag. Making a connection was pretty simple and done within ten seconds of turning the device on. The sound is also really good. Don't think it's fair to compare this sound-wise to my Bose SoundLink Color, but for the price and the footprint, this will find itself more a part of my golfing routine than the Bose will.

can you shoot a pic?

I agree that the red soundchuck is a great deal. I just want to make sure I get something I'm going to like. I have a friend who uses a Bose Soundlink II that sounds amazing. He has a case that velcros onto the cart. There are tons of bluetooth speakers out there (I just went to CES).

The Puma speaker is no where close to the Soundlink II, but it's significantly cheaper...so it's a matter of deciding if cost matters to you, but they aren't even close in terms of audio fidelity.

It's definitely cost vs sound. For 35 I'm not too concerned about the soundchuck. Honestly I was getting a little worried about cranking my Bose unit on the golf course so I'd rather beat up the soundchuck and consider it 35 well spent. I'll save my Bose for home and work.

The Puma speaker is no where close to the Soundlink II, but it's significantly cheaper...so it's a matter of deciding if cost matters to you, but they aren't even close in terms of audio fidelity.

I own a Soundlink II and I agree that it's not fair to compare it to speakers like the Soundchuck that are selling at a fraction the price. I haven't heard the Puma but I've shopped for a lot of portable bluetooth speakers and the specs on the Puma are average at best at the price point. Here's part of a review from a very trusted reviewer, Will Greenwald from PC Mag on the Soundchuck.

[FONT=open_sansregular][FONT=open_sansbold]Performance
[/FONT]The Soundchuck doesn't sound particularly good by any measure. It failed our bass test track, The Knife's "Silent Shout," immediately with heavy distortion on both the kick drums and synth. The deep notes sounded extremely crunchy at maximum volume, and only got better when we turned the volume down slightly.[/FONT]

For $10 more than the Soundchuck the Muvo Mini from Creative has a battery that's twice the size and an amp that is twice the wattage. I can attest that for $45 it sounds amazingly good to my very picky ears.

My dad uses a soundlink mini II that he loves, personally I have the soundlink III... while I agree not to compare based on prices, I wouldn't trade that thing for the world riding around in the cart listening to some tunes

Anybody know anything about the Jawbone mini? Battery life and sound quality?

Last edited:
In the $75 - $150 range the Bose Soundlink Color (available at Target for $116 and of course AMZN) is still the best sound/bang of buck I've run into - if you can deal with the not really golf-friendly dimensions.

It destroys everything in the price ranges below it and is also great around the house/patio/garage/etc. If you want large amounts of bass this is your choice you will get spoiled by it. Of course that comes with a price. It is available in cool colors too.

http://www.target.com/p/bose-soundlink-color-bluetooth-speaker-assorted-colors/-/A-16336043

MECfbb9.png

A "good enough" under $50 speaker I've used is the Pyle Soundbox Splash - and it is very golf friendly and has a hook. Volume controls are kinda janky (long press thing) so you need to use your phone for volume. Sound quality is okay, not much bass but good enough for banging around on the golf course and annoying your playing partners with Bieberesque playlists. It also is available in cool colors.

There are a zillion choices in this price range and they are all pretty much okay as long as you aren't that picky.

9sVVR9t.png

This is the best system (Creative Roar) that I have found that you can take on the course and bring it home for a party system. It's portable, small, powerful, and has a near audiophile sound and it won't break the bank to buy one. It is bluetooth, NFS, and micro SD compatible and I can use it for about 10 hours before I need to recharge it. It has 3 drivers and 2 audio ports on each end.

th

Back