Golf Digest Hot List

The more I think about their whole rating system, the more annoyed it makes me. I guess as someone who works daily in an environment that has limited use for subjectivity, seeing a rating system that is designed purely in such a fashion while trying to pawn itself off as objective, it kills me a bit inside. I'm not condoning a "Everyone gets on the Gold List" solution, but as has been pointed out time and time again on this list, their four criteria lack consistency and/or make no sense for inclusion. I know this is Golf Digest's thing ... but I really do feel that they do a disservice to companies that are either fledgling or trying to bring themselves back into prominence. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy when you downgrade a club for lacking demand to a readership that will hang on that recommendation and then avoid that very club because it's not "high demand".

It's also amusing when you read the High, Mid, and Low handicap comments and they all say something along the lines of "Easy to work this club." "Great distance." "Awesome feel." and then it gets 3.5 stars in Looks/Feel and Performance.

Oh well, I vented (here and on Twitter) and I'll move on. Just glad I don't pay money for that magazine.

While I agree consistency in performance and innovation is needed, I do not believe that subjectivity should be ruled out completely. Purchasing golf clubs is an emotional purchase. People dont want to admit there are influences but there are.

Demand is grabbing a crystal ball however, and means nothing more than marketing based on history (see JetSpeed)

What I will say though is simple. Every place that puts out a ranking or list should stop with the dictating of what people should buy. They all have the resources to let the golfers speak instead of them and do it very well. Having 12 guys hit into a simulator does absolutely nothing for the golfer. Nor does having hundreds hit on the range and letting 2 decide.

Let the golfers speak as the new digital platforms make it easy and allow the words to transform from golfer to golfer.
Its why Club Clash was born, and I know for a fact that people making these agree with it.

BTW I like what they have done with the online version of it. The video discussions between Mike & Mike are enjoyable to me. Maybe it's because I enjoy the golf talk conversation, but the way the online content has evolved over the years has been very good IMO.

I think they are so far ahead of the curve digitally to all of the other traditional publications its absurd.

I think they are so far ahead of the curve digitally to all of the other traditional publications its absurd.

watching some right now, and Statura says if your name is not on the bag, use a mallet putter. Sounds like he agrees with The Dean about names on bags and staff bags.

watching some right now, and Statura says if your name is not on the bag, use a mallet putter. Sounds like he agrees with The Dean about names on bags and staff bags.

And that goes back to dictating. What he should discuss is the benefits of MOI and how both a blade and mallet can have it.

BTW I like what they have done with the online version of it. The video discussions between Mike & Mike are enjoyable to me. Maybe it's because I enjoy the golf talk conversation, but the way the online content has evolved over the years has been very good IMO.

I 100% agree with this, and I found that the discussions sort of helped frame the different categories of irons. Wedge discussion was interesting too.

Well at least my name is on my one of my bags ;). Now to get the game to back it up haha

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

And that goes back to dictating. What he should discuss is the benefits of MOI and how both a blade and mallet can have it.

it does. The funny line was that Johnson tells him that of course he is saying that and uses a blade as a 14 handicap. They did frame that conversation before that statement talking about the moi and why they are more forgiving and beneficial to golfers.

I 100% agree with this, and I found that the discussions sort of helped frame the different categories of irons. Wedge discussion was interesting too.

it's much more interesting to me than reading it. Of course though I enjoy the hot list for what it is every year. I don't take it as the final word, because when it comes to my bag, I have the final word.

While I agree consistency in performance and innovation is needed, I do not believe that subjectivity should be ruled out completely. Purchasing golf clubs is an emotional purchase. People dont want to admit there are influences but there are.
While it sounds like you and I might disagree with each other on this point, we don't. I actually agree with you, which is why I think a rating system is silly. If you and I game the same set of clubs, we can come away with totally different impressions, and it could be for any number of issues - some of which may not even pertain to the clubs/company themselves (I could easily attribute a case of the tops to a club when it's really just my own swing flaw that manifested at that point and time). So exactly what does a precise metric (e.g., a star rating system) provide of value to the consumer?

What kills me is a system based on ratings that appear objective, but really are not. You can't just rate a product a half star less than another in a category because ... well, because it feels like it needs to be a half star less.

Sorry if I came across as angry towards you. Not my intent.
I agree with you - I said it was stupid. I was only sharing an opinion for why they need to be obviously stupid: it keeps the whole thing afloat.

Most golfers I know outside of THP are homers to a certain extent for a certain brand or two. The golf magazines and Hot Lists give them what they want to hear.

It's weird to think about it, but the Hot List dictated so many of purchases years ago. After finding THP that's no longer the case. Love that I can get honest and thoughtful reviews on clubs from real people. It's made the game so much more enjoyable. I'd much rather spend 3 hours on this site than waste 3 minutes reading through Golf Digest.

Is the Hot List meant to cater towards golf attic's like the majority of us here?

I would think that Golf Digest is trying to grab the attention of the casual golfer with the Hot List.

I haven't read this stupid ass thing in quite a while. It's complete bollocks.

Sorry if I came across as angry towards you. Not my intent.
No worries at all! The apology is completely unnecessary, but still appreciated.

...but I really do feel that they do a disservice to companies that are either fledgling or trying to bring themselves back into prominence.
I agree with you and I feel for those companies. Some stories were shared in this general domain over dinner at the Cleveland event and it really opened my eyes to things. These people live this stuff, put their heart and soul into the gear they design, manufacture and market. And their efforts can be damaged very quickly and easily by unfair or lazy media. It is a shame, really.

I read them. High ratings and low demand usually mean that I'll be able to get a crackin' deal on these at the end of the season. It's sad that the company loses money because they didn't buy their way into the high ratings.

Still TaylorMade gets their stuff rated way up there every year and we keep seeing threads about "what's going on with with TaylorMade?"

If I see it I'll look at it, but it means nothing. I trust THP way too much to concern myself with that list. I can read post after post or pros and cons instead of a one sentence blurb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get golf digest as a gift every year and it makes for good bathroom reading. If I want solid, unbiased feedback on new equipment there's only one place I need to go.....and it's not very far :angel:

That didn't take long for a company to put out a commercial mentioning their gold rating

I read them. High ratings and low demand usually mean that I'll be able to get a crackin' deal on these at the end of the season. It's sad that the company loses money because they didn't buy their way into the high ratings.

Still TaylorMade gets their stuff rated way up there every year and we keep seeing threads about "what's going on with with TaylorMade?"
TM stuff is pretty good right now, haven't hit the M2 yet though

I do page through it. It's nice to have so many products listed together to check them out. The ratings are a waste of my time and demand is the most ridiculous of all. When I first found THP, I was searching a club review. I liked what I read and began to really dig into the forum. It changed the way I view equipment and testing completely and have a comfort and trust in the people here like I would never have from a magazine.

I've been collecting these issues and the other one (Golf Magazine's Club Test?) All the way back to year 2000. It's just light reading and shows me in one magazine what's out. In terms of information, everything needs to be validated on the golf course, no other way, no matter what they say.

I do miss the times where they were packed with more information, like measurements in face height, shaft lengths, that kind of stuff.

Of course THP gives better reviews.

It's a pity that the magazines wasted opportunities to provide the reader with more technical and relevant information - like spin rates, launch, etc.

Last edited:
Ok, I got my Hot List today in the mail. The darn print is so small, I can't read it.

It's in the trash.

Back