Benefits of Building irons 1/4 inch short - 37.75 5i - Your thoughts...

My fitting was based on strike, no static measurements. -1/2 it is.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mine as well. The old charts don't mean much today.

I feel people play too long of irons in general, I'm 6-4 and play between 1/2 short and std. i cut my own so I leave alittle play for feel and yardage gaps, closer to std on the short irons

I think the problem is not enough people get fit.

I think the problem is not enough people get fit.

I would say you are correct. It is just so easy today to get fit, there is no reason not to.

The wrist to floor chart is a start point. For me I am a std length, however years ago 37.75 & 37 was std
IMO: The point of this post is a option for some players, (not all by any means) to be 1/4 shorter, and yes fitting is recommended. For me...my draw with irons, or slightly inside out swing path, a 1/4 inch short not only gives me more control, however my swing plane is not quite so flat. Its a little more upright and the club stays down the line a little longer. I hit I I hit a tad higher and straighter, and much more control. My point was to mention this to other golfers who have a similar swing characteristics, and perhaps play heavier shafts like S300/400/X100/SPB's etc. However this is only a suggestion and by no means recommended without trial or fitting to see if in fact it would help. Try a 6i first.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that it works for you

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I got fit once, the problem is they didn't know my game or how I swung, so they put me in +1/2 which didn't "fit" me at all, I am steep and hit a high fade, so a shorter shaft on the longer ions and closer to standard on the short irons works for me, distance wise as well as control, getting fit is a starting point, but nobody will know your game better than you, regardless of how much the charge. The good thing is that it is easy to shorten shafts.

I got fit once, the problem is they didn't know my game or how I swung, so they put me in +1/2 which didn't "fit" me at all, I am steep and hit a high fade, so a shorter shaft on the longer ions and closer to standard on the short irons works for me, distance wise as well as control, getting fit is a starting point, but nobody will know your game better than you, regardless of how much the charge. The good thing is that it is easy to shorten shafts.

Did your fitting not include you hitting balls?

Sounds like you need this

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...T-Mamiya-amp-THP-Shaft-Spectacular-March-2016

I have seen good fitters not use a static measurement to determine a persons iron shaft length. They look at a persons swing, how and where they are striking the ball. I have seen someone who would nor all be a +1 be fitting into std and some who would be -1/4" be fit into +1/2.

My fitting was based on strike, no static measurements. -1/2 it is.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mine as well. The old charts don't mean much today.

Me as well. Dry erase marker line on the ball for lie/squareness of strike, and visually better extension and less tendency to get "stuck" behind the ball with a shorter club.

I've always choked down a bit on my irons, which is basically the same concept. Being fit for clubs is obviously the only way to know what your irons' specs should be though.

For me choking down is not a familiar SW feel. The SW feels lighter and I could possibly get quick, its like a counterbalance with weight above the grip. I do do it with some in between shots by a tad, however do practice swing the head feel a few swings first, so I am not taking it back too fast, with the lighter head feel. Also the grip taper gets thinner, another different feel to my hands. Try it choke down 1/4, then choke up 1/4 (if that's the word), feel the different head SW feel.

You notice a difference in SW by choking down 1/4 of an inch? That's not even 2 SW points. Your feels must be very impressive. Must be difficult for you to hit those in between shots during a round by choking up then.

Choking down feels sometimes better because of the different grip feeling. For some people the grip diameter right underneath the grip cap is too large.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Choking down feels sometimes better because of the different grip feeling. For some people the grip diameter right underneath the grip cap is too large.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

also, I feel the better way to control distant than shortening swing

That's cool that you found something that works for you, PZG. My threshold for drivers seems to be about a 1/2 an inch - I'll choke down that amount and if I need more then I cut. For 1/4 inch on irons I'd just choke down.

I did speak with a mini tour player once at the range, and his driver was short approx 44.5. I asked why, as his problem was distance off the tee. He said he needs his shoulder to go under...not around to strike it well. He was approx 5'6-5'7 tall.

And Brooke Henderson who is 5'4" is playing a driver with 48" shaft and has gained 15+ yards

And Brooke Henderson who is 5'4" is playing a driver with 48" shaft and has gained 15+ yards
I actually just saw that yesterday while watching her. I had no idea it was 48 but she sure does smash it.

I actually just saw that yesterday while watching her. I had no idea it was 48 but she sure does smash it.

I noticed she chokes down on it a tad as well. She says she has gained 15 yards and stats from tour were saying 25.

I noticed she chokes down on it a tad as well. She says she has gained 15 yards and stats from tour were saying 25.
Yeah I heard that as well. If it works id definitely go with it.

like most things it is personal preference, That's why all this instruction from other people sometimes does not fit the students game, find a instructor that will work with your strengths and swing type, not some cookie cutter swing they push onto everybody whether it suits the student or not

Back