Snell MTB Black - cracked the cover on one today

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was at the indoor simulator today for some practice when this MTB Black cracked off my Callaway Mini 1.5. It had been hit only about 50 times and my clubhead speed is not super fast, 103 mph on the swing that cracked it. The shot was center face and the screen in the simulator is very soft so I don't think it is related to the simulator. It’s the first time I’ve cracked a cover in 30 years or so.

aba787bfaa9e7b6a33e166e25c4efa52.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way the ball spins and hits the simulator net or screen causes almost all balls to break. I have buckets of broken balls from every brand from indoor golf.

Srixon Z Star is probably the one I break the least.

I've also seen balls crack indoors. Sometimes it takes 80 holes, but they will crack. One way I reasoned through this is that if you have a 1.40 smash factor (I can get into the high 1.3s), your ball is going over 140 mph when it hits the screen/wall. That and the fact that I see no path to keeping a ball in play for 80 holes outdoors.

That is a pretty good crack!!!

Any chance you can get it the rest of the way open so we can see the inside? Curiosity

I was at the indoor simulator today for some practice when this MTB Black cracked off my Callaway Mini 1.5. It had been hit only about 50 times and my clubhead speed is not super fast, 103 mph on the swing that cracked it. The shot was center face and the screen in the simulator is very soft so I don't think it is related to the simulator. It’s the first time I’ve cracked a cover in 30 years or so.

Coincidentally, I just cracked a Snell <MTB> (first gen, I think) in my last round. I didn't notice it until I putted on the 18th green. I'm fairly meticulous about cleaning my (golf) balls before putting so I think it had to have happened on the 18th hole, but I don't know which shot.

That and the fact that I see no path to keeping a ball in play for 80 holes outdoors.

It has been years, I'm sure, but I know I've done it before.

Any chance you can get it the rest of the way open so we can see the inside? Curiosity

If I remember, I'll cut mine the rest of the way open this weekend. It's not quite as good of a crack as that one, but it's still a decent split.

Lay off the juice. :D

Ask and ye shall receive... again this is mine not the OP's. Mine is a 1st gen, I think, if I remember the way it was explained, but I'd have top go back to my thread asking for the ID to be sure.
926dc361a0aba5412de04acf4391161c.jpg
03d9157876acfa57cf61aa664592b520.jpg
11fe81d02cbc7f6b1879e0d19a171abb.jpg
7ad3704bd63ca37a5fdda4a0f3f98968.jpg
a5959796441d792712cb8e4c08c2c735.jpg
b0742d118c4ea3baefd8e33f8b9fc700.jpg
d2b970afce8cbd80cd3ed549a2fe489c.jpg
3154a4499e3f9011def26626d34d188b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for cutting the ball open. Always interesting to me to see the different insides.

Thanks for cutting the ball open. Always interesting to me to see the different insides.
No problem at all. I'm always up for demo projects.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If it happened on the course let them know. Obviously balls crack depending on the wear and conditions being hit in like everyone said. It could maybe a defect they would like to know about. My backyard is Manchester Lane where they test all the balls and I live in the middle of all the Titleist facilities. We all hit Snell, unless the others are free. They are great balls. Send me an email OGputtinfool. I will send you a box for a Xmas gift. Lol. I dont work, get paid or have any affiliation with Snell. I just know people that worked with him call him the Michael jordan of golf ball technology. Lol.

Reminds me of when I was a kid 50 years ago, and my dad gave us a golf ball to cut open.
On those, you had to just cut through the cover all the way around, revealing a continuous winding of rubber band like material, which once fully unwound, revealed a small rubber ball 1/2" or 3/4" in diameter, which had a very strange smelling liquid inside. That was fun!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Looks like it is medium rare...:banana:

Back