• Total voters

golfinnut

DANNY LE! WHAT A GUY!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
Which would you rather have?

So I was thinking of this the other day with my father. My father has 5 holes-in-one & I have 7. So I have had the experience and excitement of a hole-in-one, multiple times, all under different circumstances. But for those player's that have never had one, it can be an experience unlike any other. Some people believe that having some skill increases your chances at a hole in one but let's be honest, there is a lot of luck involved as well. How many times have you heard of someone, or possibly yourself, skulling one off the tee, getting a ridiculous bounce and ends up going in. Anyone can get one.
Now a course record, that is a different kind of achievement that only a select few can claim. I can be honest and say that I'm a single digit handicap and I will NEVER come close to achieving a course record. Although wouldn't it be nice to hold a record for a period of time and say that you were the BEST EVER on that course? Now that's something to be proud of. Whether it's at your local muni or at a more well known course like St. Andrews, Pebble Beach, or Pinehurst #2 .... a course record can stand for a long time. But records are meant to be broken.

So which is your preference? What would you rather have and why?

40+ years of playing and no HIO, so I'll take that.

im not kidding myself, I'll never have a course record, unless i am the very first guy to play it. a hole in one would be nice though

im not kidding myself, I'll never have a course record, unless i am the very first guy to play it. a hole in one would be nice though

Like I said, records are meant to be broken. But hey, you held it for say ... 5 minutes! LOL :clapp:

Course record, without a doubt.

This is kind of like winning your local YMCA flag football championship vs winning the Super Bowl.

I'll take the HIO.

Course record. It's a bigger accomplishment IMO

Course record, all day every day.

Course records are less numerous, demonstrate obvious skill, and people will buy you a drink instead of the other way around.
I have 5 HIOs. Some more elegantly hit than others. Yes, they're nice, and it's fun. I'd trade them all in a heartbeat for the course record.

Only course records I'll ever hold would involve "Loudest Profanity" or "Most Abject Look of Despair".

Hole in one.

Course record is most likely something that is going to stand for a long time and only you have it. Lots of times it is posted in the clubhouse for all to see. A hole-in-one while great is something that many others have gotten as well. Maybe it also reflects that I have a hole-in-one, but not a course record.

Already have one...so I'll take the other. Hahaha

Course record would speak more to overall ability rather than 1 lucky shot so I would take that.

OR.....I'll shoot the course record while recording a hole in one during that round. I like that better.

Course record all day long

Absolutely course record. One shot vs many shots is a no brainer imo

A HIO can have alot of luck involved or be one really good shot. At the end of the day though it is only one shot.

In order to shot a course record you have to play good for 18 holes. There might be a good break or a long putt holed, but you can't hit it like a skunk and shot a course record. I would take the course record

I would want a course record. I think that means you had one of the best days you could have.

I'll say Course Record, as your name will be on a wall plaque by itself or with three or four others (if they list the record for all tees and he womens) whereas the HIO will be on a plauge with probably dozens of names.

As TheMilkMan said, HIO can definitely be attributed to some luck, but a course record obviously shows 18 holes worth of skill.

HIO and it is not close.

Course record for me. No question. You'll have to string together a pretty flawless round to take down a course record.

HIO all day every day. It would be great to hold a course record, but nothing would beat getting a hole in one!

Hole in one.

Hole in one is more realistic for me. If I held a course record that would mean I would be a much better golfer than I am now. Kind of a toss up so I will go with the realistic choice and the one that has a chance.

Hole in one please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Course record and it's not even close. That would mean I've accomplished a lot and am actually a skilled golfer.

course record... at a THP event

Back