Oahu Golf - Recommendations, and Is Reasonable Even Possible?

I agree with Kanea Point and I think Hanauma Bay is another spot to check out. It gets a little busy, but it is absolutely beautiful.

I agree on Hanauma Bay. I loved snorkeling there. I'd also add walking up Diamond Head. You get some really nice views of Waikiki.

2nd Diamond head. We were there for honeymoon. Also, they have submarine tours off Waikiki. If you are not SCUBA certified it's a really cool option. They go down 150ft or so it was awesome.

Definitely planning on hiking Diamond Head, and Kanea Point and Hanauma Bay sound like great options as well! I love hiking, so definitely looking to get some in while we're there.

Definitely planning on hiking Diamond Head, and Kanea Point and Hanauma Bay sound like great options as well! I love hiking, so definitely looking to get some in while we're there.
Ryan,Diamond head is amazing and as well as Hamauma bay. If you have a chance check out sea kayaking ,my tour guide took me out to an island to see the turtle make their way to short to lay the eggs. It was an amazing experience

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Oahu Golf - Recommendations, and Is Reasonable Even Possible?

Dude, golfnow always has some great last minute deals on Oahu.
The only place that didn't have a golfnow deal was Koolina. I played it twice but we stayed on the course.

And if you're looking at stuff to do there get "Oahu revealed". Locals hate those books because it gives out all the local hotspots for activities.

Good news - I think my fiance may let me get in 36 holes so long as I do it in 1 day! What would you guys say is your favorite one-two punch in a day? I'd imagine you'd want the courses to be in relative proximity to each other, and I'd like to keep the combined cost of both rounds to $300 or less. My ideas:

Turtle Bay - both courses
Ko'olau/Royal Hawaiian

I suppose I could play Ko'olau or RH twice to get away real cheap, but I don't like the idea of having time for two different courses and playing one twice.

Good news - I think my fiance may let me get in 36 holes so long as I do it in 1 day! What would you guys say is your favorite one-two punch in a day? I'd imagine you'd want the courses to be in relative proximity to each other, and I'd like to keep the combined cost of both rounds to $300 or less. My ideas:

Turtle Bay - both courses
Ko'olau/Royal Hawaiian

I suppose I could play Ko'olau or RH twice to get away real cheap, but I don't like the idea of having time for two different courses and playing one twice.

I'd go Turtle Bay Palmer Course and Ko'olau or Royal Hawaiian. The Turtle Bay Fazio course is okay, but there are better options.

I found a screaming deal to play both Ko'olau and Royal Hawaiian on separate days for $230 total, but the only tripping point is that RH is aerating April 18-19 and I'd probably need to play on the 29th. Anybody have any knowledge on how fast the greens bounce back there?

I had a thought that maybe you could book a day trip island hop to Kauai and play Wailua for cheap, but unfortunately the airfare would make that about all in $250. So good luck, tough to find anything below $100 in Hawaii.

I had a thought that maybe you could book a day trip island hop to Kauai and play Wailua for cheap, but unfortunately the airfare would make that about all in $250. So good luck, tough to find anything below $100 in Hawaii.

Yeah I've kind of resigned myself to it haha. I found a site called HawaiiTeeTimes.com that has some discounted rates and package deals, so I think I can save a few bucks that way.

It has been a few years since I played there but Ko'olau and Turtle Bay (Palmer) were two of my favorite courses anywhere.

I'm absolutely playing Ko'olau. But the only problem with Turtle Bay is it's so damn far from Waikiki, which is where we're staying, and my fiance doesn't want me to burn the whole day on golf. I'm really trying to stay within 45mins of Waikiki.

2nd Diamond head. We were there for honeymoon. Also, they have submarine tours off Waikiki. If you are not SCUBA certified it's a really cool option. They go down 150ft or so it was awesome.

That was cool when we did that

I agree on Hanauma Bay. I loved snorkeling there. I'd also add walking up Diamond Head. You get some really nice views of Waikiki.

I've mentioned it before, but, when you do your hike up Diamond Head, do it the first day or two you are there while you are still on mainland time. As early as possible, for two reasons. First, the steps are narrow and steep and you want to be coming back down before others are heading up. We only had a couple times where we met people on their way up. Second, and most important, it's a desert inside, and it gets hot. Do it before it warms up. Might not be as bad in April. We were there the first two weeks of September.

Hope you get to play!

If you're playing Ko Olau be prepared for lots and lots of mud. If it's been raining a lot, they have the tendency to close the back nine entirely.... It's also incredibly difficult. Miss the fairway, and you've pretty much lost your ball. Book your tee time over the phone. The pro shop staff is very accommodating, and depending on course conditions will often offer you a major discount because they feel they're inconveniencing you due to the weather. I think I picked up a round, and a dozen pro v1x last time for $88.00 total.

Ko' Olau

25774021196_3f83a9d117_b.jpg

Royal Hawaiian is the better of the two rainforest courses, and you can usually find a hot deal for about $90

Royal Hawaiian:

25679169852_8cf80cb96a_b.jpg

If you're on a budget, I say head straight for Makaha Valley. By far the best value, and best kept secret on the island. I played there in Dec for $45.00 and, while it's not the longest, or prettiest course in the world, there's an ocean view from 14 of the 18 holes. It doesn't play on the water, but it's a nice view.

17th:
25799959975_bac7caa437_b.jpg

Ko Olina is what I would call my "home course" when I'm there (about 3 times a year.) It's not too difficult, but can provide a challenge when you don't expect it. They take care of you like family. I highly recommend it. If you buy one round, ask for the "bounce back" which will bring your second round down to $139.00 (good for a week)

8th at Ko Olina

25499419940_5bac3d16e7_b.jpg

Good info there pmm. Would you recommend playing Royal Hawaiian even if they've aerated a week and a half prior?

How far are Ko Olina and Makaha Valley from Waikiki? I am staying in that area, and my fiance is not going to let it fly for me to be in the car for 2+ hours in addition to 5 hours at the course.

Good info there pmm. Would you recommend playing Royal Hawaiian even if they've aerated a week and a half prior?

How far are Ko Olina and Makaha Valley from Waikiki? I am staying in that area, and my fiance is not going to let it fly for me to be in the car for 2+ hours in addition to 5 hours at the course.

I think, in regards to the aeration, the ground will probably improve more quickly than most places given the amount of rainfall, but it's hard to say for sure. Perhaps there's an even better discount in there due to the aeration schedule.

Ko Olina is about a 35 minute drive (provided you can avoid heavy traffic) from Waikiki (try to go early.) The area is mostly known for it's amazing lagoon beaches, so perhaps you can convince your fiance to spend the day at the beach, or hit the spa at the JW Marriott whilst you play. From Ko Olina, Makaha Valley is about 20 minutes north.

Last edited:
I think, in regards to the aeration, the ground will probably improve more quickly than most places given the amount of rainfall, but it's hard to say for sure. Perhaps there's an even better discount in there due to the aeration schedule.

Ko Olina is about a 35 minute drive (provided you can avoid heavy traffic) from Waikiki (try to go early.) The area is mostly known for it's amazing lagoon beaches, so perhaps you can convince your fiance to spend the day at the beach, or hit the spa at the JW Marriott whilst you play. From Ko Olina, Makaha Valley is about 20 minutes north.

Thanks dude. Lots of courses around so trying to figure out the best options. Have you ever played Royal Kunia or Pearl Country Club? Those both appear to be pretty close to Waikiki as well.

Right now I'm almost 100% playing Royal Hawaiian, aeration be damned. I'm mostly there for scenery, and besides I can't putt anyway so what's the difference hahaha :alien:. The question is the second course. Initially I was pretty sold on Ko'olau, but it sounds like RH is the same scenery with a better layout so I might be more inclined to change up the scenery a bit for the second loop.

Here's one more hint: Don't buy your souvenirs in Honolulu. They have (or used to have) a swap and shop at the football stadium on Saturday mornings and you get your best deals there. Of course if you like to haggle, you can get better deals in the city. You can haggle at the stadium too.

Have you ever played Royal Kunia or Pearl Country Club?

I played Royal Kunia about 3 years ago. I thought it was a decent track, but nothing terribly special. I think you're absolutely right in choosing RH as your scenic course, and I definitely understand the desire to not spend a long time in the car. I still say Ko Olina is the best for actually playing golf.

I played Royal Kunia about 3 years ago. I thought it was a decent track, but nothing terribly special. I think you're absolutely right in choosing RH as your scenic course, and I definitely understand the desire to not spend a long time in the car. I still say Ko Olina is the best for actually playing golf.
Thanks dude. I'll have to look into doing Ko Olina, I may be able to swing it. Since you've played all these tracks and you feel this one is the best, I'd be a fool not to listen!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

If you end up at Ko Olina, be sure to have either lunch or dinner (or both) at Monkeypod (it's just down the road from the course.) Enjoy one of the best Mai Tais you'll ever have and I will say it's some of the best food in Hawaii. Try the Bulgogi Pork Tacos!

I lived in Hawaii for the last 6 years (Army), I miss it so much!!!!!, but try Navy Marine Golf Course, across from the Airport open to the public, if you can get into the Military bases, they are the best bang for your buck, Hickam AFB (near the Airport as well), Kaneohe Marine Corp Base (best one of the military courses), Leilehua GC towards Schofield Barracks, then you have the regular golf courses already mentioned...I copied and pasted from a link, good luck, enjoy Hawaii...ALOHA!!!!

North Shore:
> Kahuku Golf Course
> Turtle Bay Resort - Arnold Palmer Course
> Turtle Bay Resort - George Fazio Course
Windward Coast
> Bay View Golf Park
> Koolau Golf Club
> Royal Hawaiian Golf Club
> Olomana Golf Club
> Pali Golf Course
Honolulu
> Ala Wai Golf Club
> Hawaii Kai Golf Course - Championship Course
> Hawaii Kai Golf Course - Executive Course
> Moanalua Golf Club
Central
> Hawaii Country Club
> Mililani Golf Course
> Pearl Country Club
> Royal Kunia Country Club
> Ted Makalena Golf Course
> Waikele Country Club
Leeward Coast
> Coral Creek Golf Course
> Ewa Beach Golf Club
> Ewa Villages Golf Course
> Hawaii Prince Golf Club - A, B & C Courses
> Kapolei Golf Course
> Ko Olina Golf Club
> Makaha Valley Country Club
> West Loch Golf Course

I hope you read this b4 you play. We are in aeration season.

Royal kunia areated this week. I would avoid.

My picks would be Ewa beach golf club. Immaculate conditions. Not a resort course but might be the best maintained non private course on the island. They are two weeks removed from aeration. Turtle bay is also areated about two weeks ago. It's a nice course, make sure you play the arnie course. Fazio is a mud hole.

A must is Royal Hawaiian in Kailua. Light years ahead of koolau. RH just reopened with new greens practice facility. Unlimited range balls sand and grass chipping and two practice greens. Front nine is a jungle back nine is on a mountain. They treat you well.

Ko oilna will areate the week after the Lotte women's tourney, which is the 14-18.

Hawaii prince is two weeks removed from areation. Course can vary in conditions.

Kapolei is nice a bit boring in my eyes. Might have the best greens on the island. They are schedule for aeration in a week I do believe.

Koolau has just gone down hill so fast in the last 6 months. Closed holes, no sand in bunkers.

Courses I would avoid at all cost. Hawaii Kai, olomana, coral creek, and koolau.

If you need any other info let me know. 26 years of golfing on this island.

Last edited:
I hope you read this b4 you play. We are in aeration season.

Royal kunia areated this week. I would avoid.

My picks would be Ewa beach golf club. Immaculate conditions. Not a resort course but might be the best maintained non private course on the island. They are two weeks removed from aeration. Turtle bay is also areated about two weeks ago. It's a nice course, make sure you play the arnie course. Fazio is a mud hole.

A must is Royal Hawaiian in Kailua. Light years ahead of koolau. RH just reopened with new greens practice facility. Unlimited range balls sand and grass chipping and two practice greens. Front nine is a jungle back nine is on a mountain. They treat you well.

Ko oilna will areate the week after the Lotte women's tourney, which is the 14-18.

Hawaii prince is two weeks removed from areation. Course can vary in conditions.

Kapolei is nice a bit boring in my eyes. Might have the best greens on the island. They are schedule for aeration in a week I do believe.

Koolau has just gone down hill so fast in the last 6 months. Closed holes, no sand in bunkers.

Courses I would avoid at all cost. Hawaii Kai, olomana, coral creek, and koolau.

If you need any other info let me know. 26 years of golfing on this island.
This is great info bud, I really appreciate it! Sounds like even more justification for me to play Royal Hawaiian for sure. I'll have to take a look at Ewa Beach as well - how far is that from Waikiki?

This is probably the 3rd or 4th time I've heard bad things about Ko'olau, so I think this solidifies my skipping it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Back