The Home Renovation Thread

Looking for thoughts, comments and concerns on Hardiplank Siding!?

Does anyone have experience with it or have it on their current home?

I've used it on several jobs

I've used it on several jobs

What are your thoughts on it as far as upkeep, long term thoughts, etc?

The wife and I are interested in a house that has it... I absolutely love the looks of it, but I have read good and bad about it

The Home Renovation Thread

It accepts paint well, which is a pro and a con.
Pro is it can be any color you wish.
Con: Cause a it requires painting/maintaining. Caulking and ensuring the exterior of your home stays watertight.

It not susceptible rot.
The seems are visible, and even more so when paint fade occurs.

Repair is easy but requires painting.

Power washing your home can be done, but care is required. Full blast hi powered water can remove paint.

It accepts paint well, which is a pro and a con.
Pro is it can be any color you wish.
Con: Cause a it requires painting/maintaining. Caulking and ensuring the exterior of your home stays watertight.

It not susceptible rot.
The seems are visible, and even more so when paint fade occurs.

Repair is easy but requires painting.

Awesome. Really appreciate it. How often does it require painting?

Awesome. Really appreciate it. How often does it require painting?

Depends on quality of the paint, and more so on the quality of painter doing the work. Prep work is key with any paint work

Some people will say 10-15 years between paintings. But that's not entirely accurate. To many variables to put a definitive number on it. Environmental effects on the paint are the driving force.

d115cc23614bf8246184a09ef3c00572.jpg
f1e2fc81aa50e900cc57d28a88089e3d.jpg

What are your thoughts on it as far as upkeep, long term thoughts, etc?

The wife and I are interested in a house that has it... I absolutely love the looks of it, but I have read good and bad about it

The big downside in my view is that it's not the most friendly material to work with for the DIYer. So if you do have to make a repair you may want to hire it out.

Recently Hardie has released a line of colored siding products which in theory would be low/no maintenance, but I don't know how well the colors hold up, or if they offer a full line of colored products (for window trim, soffits, fascia, etc.)

For me hardiplank siding wouldn't be a deal breaker if you and the missus like the house, just keep the maintenance costs in mind and budget accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About how much would I be looking at to remove a standard bathtub and replace it with a standup shower? The bathroom is 5 foot wide so the shower would be 5 foot long and the width of a standard bathtub. The toilet is right beside the tub so "wiggle" room is very little.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Looking for thoughts, comments and concerns on Hardiplank Siding!?

Does anyone have experience with it or have it on their current home?
How old is it? I vaguely recall there was a period where Hardiplank had major failures, at least in my region.

Step one of the bathroom remodel is underway. Flooring in the sh***er room is removed, toilet is gone and walls are cleaned and touched up ready for paint. I should have baseboards reinstalled today and next weekend I can lay the tile and install the new crapper.

Step one of the bathroom remodel is underway. Flooring in the sh***er room is removed, toilet is gone and walls are cleaned and touched up ready for paint. I should have baseboards reinstalled today and next weekend I can lay the tile and install the new crapper.

You are making it sound so glamorous. :D

You are making it sound so glamorous. :D

I saved you the horror of what the old toilet looked like. This is as glamorous as I can get it.

Wait, the bathroom will be a nice shade of Rolaids liquid green if that helps.

I saved you the horror of what the old toilet looked like. This is as glamorous as I can get it.

Thats nice.
Im looking forward to selling this house (which is fairly new) to find a house we can remodel over time and make it perfect.

Thats nice.
Im looking forward to selling this house (which is fairly new) to find a house we can remodel over time and make it perfect.

We have three more years in this house so over that time I'm going to slowly upgrade everything to get it ready. Our starter house we can finally sell about a decade after we thought we would.

We have three more years in this house so over that time I'm going to slowly upgrade everything to get it ready. Our starter house we can finally sell about a decade after we thought we would.

Good on you. We had to do that to most before we moved into this one, but our plan was never long term here. Just did not expect prices to skyrocket where we are, so if they are still there in November (gets us out of capital gains), we will sell it.

Plumbing repair sucks. No way around it.

Funny to see this thread pop up. I've looking at buying a place (I'm done renting) for about 3 months now. For most of that time I was only looking at places that needed no work, were at the top of my price range and were ready to move in. But in the last week or 2 I've started looking at much cheaper places that need work but I figure I can make it exactly how I want it and that appeals to me. Will have to do a little more research on reno prices up in my area but I'm leaning way more towards buying a fixer upper.

Funny to see this thread pop up. I've looking at buying a place (I'm done renting) for about 3 months now. For most of that time I was only looking at places that needed no work, were at the top of my price range and were ready to move in. But in the last week or 2 I've started looking at much cheaper places that need work but I figure I can make it exactly how I want it and that appeals to me. Will have to do a little more research on reno prices up in my area but I'm leaning way more towards buying a fixer upper.

Just rule of thumb. Make sure its livable to a certain standard so that you can update over time.

Almost finished this was an hr in...
c0ebf699e8fdd6ceb7012cfdeaf93999.jpg

Just rule of thumb. Make sure its livable to a certain standard so that you can update over time.

Definitely taking that into consideration. Trying to find that nice middle ground of a cheaper place that will allow me to upgrade while also being able to live in it. Luckily I do have time so just being patient and constantly looking is my game plan.

Yep. Stuff I bought has the under layment already attached.

14d08c02b3ad143e59390bdd60118362.jpg

About 60 square feet to go.

Back