St. Louis Area thread

Here are a few links:

http://gatewaynational.com/ - wubears71's home course so he can tell you more about it; I've only played there once. It's in great shape and is a challenging course. Don't miss the fairway.

http://www.spencertolingolf.com/ - this is the nicer of the two courses that I call home. Generally in good shape; not quite the challenge that Gateway is. This is on the IL side of the river about 20 mins from downtown STL.

http://stonewolfgolf.com/ - haven't played this one

http://www.pevelyfarms.com/ - haven't played this one
Pevely has been a dumpster fire the last year. The amount of rain we got in May and June of 2015 killed the greens with fungus and they are still in the process of re-routing number 3 to make room for new homes going around the course. I went from loving the course to only playing it if I cannot get on elsewhere.

Stonewolf has 4 of the absolute goofiest starting holes I've ever played but the course condition really improved in 2015 and is a pretty good course. The biggest issue is that it's easy to go very high on the first 4 holes and just ruin your round from the start.

Pevely has been a dumpster fire the last year. The amount of rain we got in May and June of 2015 killed the greens with fungus and they are still in the process of re-routing number 3 to make room for new homes going around the course. I went from loving the course to only playing it if I cannot get on elsewhere.

Stonewolf has 4 of the absolute goofiest starting holes I've ever played but the course condition really improved in 2015 and is a pretty good course. The biggest issue is that it's easy to go very high on the first 4 holes and just ruin your round from the start.

Gateway is probably a good option if we want to stay around downtown - except for Forest Park I suppose, but I don't enjoy that course. Too many moms jogging with strollers and headphones in who don't pay attention.

Gateway is probably a good option if we want to stay around downtown - except for Forest Park I suppose, but I don't enjoy that course. Too many moms jogging with strollers and headphones in who don't pay attention.
That and the fact that Forest Park management is all about putting as many golfers on the course as possible. 5 somes are common and I see the occasional 6some. What's even worse it you make the turn and they are sending people off on your back 9 (3 nine hole courses). It's just terrible when busy.

That and the fact that Forest Park management is all about putting as many golfers on the course as possible. 5 somes are common and I see the occasional 6some. What's even worse it you make the turn and they are sending people off on your back 9 (3 nine hole courses). It's just terrible when busy.

I agree. Plus I'm not fond of greens set next to city streets full of expensive cars. The pucker factor goes thru the roof for me there.

Glad to hear they did not steal your golf courses like they did your NFL team.

I'll take Forest Park over Griffith Park Muni any day. While I loved living in LA and living right by Griffith Park, the cliental was beyond annoying.

That's also something to consider, we need a course that can be enjoyable for a wide range of handicaps. Planning something like this won't be easy, but it looks like there is definitely some interest being shown. I think we can make it happen. It might not work for everyone, but hopefully we can make it work for most.

So, Pevely is probably out because of condition. Stonewolf is questionable, I'm probably going to try to not be too concerned about scoring. That's easier said than done though...

Looks like Gateway or STO could be possibilities. Opinions on which would be more accommodating to our group and easier to get to for people from out of town?

That's also something to consider, we need a course that can be enjoyable for a wide range of handicaps. Planning something like this won't be easy, but it looks like there is definitely some interest being shown. I think we can make it happen. It might not work for everyone, but hopefully we can make it work for most.

So, Pevely is probably out because of condition. Stonewolf is questionable, I'm probably going to try to not be too concerned about scoring. That's easier said than done though...

Looks like Gateway or STO could be possibilities. Opinions on which would be more accommodating to our group and easier to get to for people from out of town?

Gateway's three biggest challenges are length and wind. However, when the wind is calm it's not too tough of a course. There are absolutely no trees which are a blessing and a curse. If you block or pull the ball, there is a very good chance your ball will end up in the extremely tall and thick fescue/weeds, so hitting a provisional is almost a sure thing.

STO is a nice course but not as convenient to downtown.

I lived in LA when the Rams left (were stolen?) the first time so it's not a big loss for me this time around. :act-up:

Gateway's three biggest challenges are length and wind. However, when the wind is calm it's not too tough of a course. There are absolutely no trees which are a blessing and a curse. If you block or pull the ball, there is a very good chance your ball will end up in the extremely tall and thick fescue/weeds, so hitting a provisional is almost a sure thing.

I agree; it's a course where (in my opinion anyway) you must take what it gives you and stay in the fairway.

http://www.spencertolingolf.com/ is easier but a bit further out from downtown. Close enough to my house for a BBQ though :banana:

What's Abredeen like now? Too far out of town? I concur on Stone Wolf. Only played it once, shortly after it opened, and I guess they wanted all it's teeth bared. To me it was unfair and gimmicky. 5150, I think you nailed it with the inclusion of a ballgame & I liked oakcreek when I played it too. Usually I just played Cardinal Creek or Tamarack because they were close when I lived there. Ironically, the condo I helped move my daughter into early last winter was on a golf course. It never reopened this spring, so I never played it - (Stonebridge in Maryville).

What's Abredeen like now? Too far out of town? I concur on Stone Wolf. Only played it once, shortly after it opened, and I guess they wanted all it's teeth bared. To me it was unfair and gimmicky. 5150, I think you nailed it with the inclusion of a ballgame & I liked oakcreek when I played it too. Usually I just played Cardinal Creek or Tamarack because they were close when I lived there. Ironically, the condo I helped move my daughter into early last winter was on a golf course. It never reopened this spring, so I never played it - (Stonebridge in Maryville).
Aberdeen was completely flooded in late December / Early January. They opened for the first time last weekend to get some rounds in during the beautiful weather, however a few holes were still in very rough shape and unplayable.

Here is a video of what the course looked like in December - https://www.facebook.com/AberdeenGolfClub/videos/10153875006716450/

The clubhouse was completely flooded so they are operating out of a temporary tuff shed.
12657889_10207863498761905_445894307714909241_o_zpscvdrqvlh.jpg

It's closed again during the cold weather. I'm guessing it will be late spring / early summer before things are looking okay.

Oak Brook is a nice mid-level course that's challenging enough for the low handicaps but not bad for a guy like me (currently a 16). Friendliest course in the area in my opinion. It's nice to play at a club that's a family business.

Stonebridge closed its doors. I hear rumors that someone may buy it and reopen it but nothing concrete. That place always felt like it was a bit too cramped to me.

Cardinals home games on weekends:

--April 15 - 17 vs the Reds. That's the first week of the season so demand for tickets will be high.
--April 29 - May 1 vs the Nationals
--May 6 - 8 vs the Pirates
--May 20 - 22 vs Arizona

Any of those work for me.

Cardinals home games on weekends:

--April 15 - 17 vs the Reds. That's the first week of the season so demand for tickets will be high.
--April 29 - May 1 vs the Nationals
--May 6 - 8 vs the Pirates
--May 20 - 22 vs Arizona

Any of those work for me.

I'd say the Reds weekend is out, any of the other weekends would be good and they'd be good games.

Should be far enough out for Wubears too?

I would be interested in joining the group if this get together moves forward. My recent back surgery which was not very helpful as of this point in time is a bummer but I can always pop some pills if need be.

I would be interested in joining the group if this get together moves forward. My recent back surgery which was not very helpful as of this point in time is a bummer but I can always pop some pills if need be.

That's great, it's looking like sometime around the first half of May. Should give you a little more time to heal up.

Found out yesterday that my son has a soccer tournament in Champaign on May 6-8, he also has one in Indy the weekend of 4/1. Those are the only weekends I should have any conflicts, anything else I can get out of. It would be fun but I don't have to do a ballgame weekend either, I'm sure I'll make a few this year anyway though.

Anybody else know of any scheduling conflicts around that time? Weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, or anything of that nature that would prevent you from coming. If we play Gateway or STO, do they have any events on their schedule that would be an issue? I know it's a while out, but it would be good to go ahead and get a date set.

Found out yesterday that my son has a soccer tournament in Champaign on May 6-8, he also has one in Indy the weekend of 4/1. Those are the only weekends I should have any conflicts, anything else I can get out of. It would be fun but I don't have to do a ballgame weekend either, I'm sure I'll make a few this year anyway though.

Anybody else know of any scheduling conflicts around that time? Weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, or anything of that nature that would prevent you from coming. If we play Gateway or STO, do they have any events on their schedule that would be an issue? I know it's a while out, but it would be good to go ahead and get a date set.
May 20-22 is the only posted weekend I have a known conflict with. As for the ballgame, I usually end up doing that with family anyway.

So far if we want to catch a ballgame too it looks like May 20 - 22 vs Arizona.

Or if anyone's up for a Blues game they're in town too Friday April 1 vs the Bruins and Sat April 9 vs the Capitals.

Or we could just play golf - that works too :banana:

I'm pretty much wide open thru April, May, June.

My wife's birthday is the 21st. I'm guessing I won't be available that day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm a no go April 23rd weekend and may 13-23rd.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

So currently the weekends of April 9,16, or 30 work unless other scheduling conflicts occur. There is also the May 28 weekend, but that's Memorial Day weekend so that's probably not an option either. Let me know if anything else comes up or if anyone else is considering coming has anything to add you're more than welcome to chime in.

Im definitley coming for me it will be a day trip for golf unless the family decides to come as well. Thanks for coordinating.

So currently the weekends of April 9,16, or 30 work unless other scheduling conflicts occur. There is also the May 28 weekend, but that's Memorial Day weekend so that's probably not an option either. Let me know if anything else comes up or if anyone else is considering coming has anything to add you're more than welcome to chime in.

Right now the 16th and 30th are open. 9th is 50/50.

Back