Would you adjust the Lie Angle?

Iceman!

THPer formerly known as "markm778"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Took some swings with my JPX919HM irons today on a lie board and tape at the bottom.

Would you adjust the Lie Angles at all?
e27c70b14fd05070db6be164fb28c454.jpg

6430956997b67179e196ee8f90fa6b39.jpg

4389e069b50799a3c31996889b32238c.jpg

Took some swings with my JPX919HM irons today on a lie board and tape at the bottom.

Would you adjust the Lie Angles at all?
e27c70b14fd05070db6be164fb28c454.jpg

6430956997b67179e196ee8f90fa6b39.jpg

4389e069b50799a3c31996889b32238c.jpg
Forgive me, those look much different than what I've used in the past. Am I correct to assume the arrows were pointed away from the target when the stickers were on the sole of your clubs?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

What's the marking in the first one? Looks like a 7, but so does the 2nd one.

I wouldn't at all really. The one pic in the middle shows maybe 1* upright but the other 2 pics are spot on right in the middle

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If I am reading them right, it appears the 8 needs to go 1° upright and the 8 needs to go 1° flat. Were they checked to make sure they are all actual stock lie angles. Mizuno irons are 1° flat across the board when compared to many other OEM standard specs.

I wouldn't at all really. The one pic in the middle shows maybe 1* upright but the other 2 pics are spot on right in the middle

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I agree now that (I think) I know what I'm looking at.

OP, what's your normal miss?

Would anyone mind explaining what I'm looking at? I get the goal but not how/what is going on to accomplish it.

Would anyone mind explaining what I'm looking at? I get the goal but not how/what is going on to accomplish it.
If it's like I've always done, the stickers go in the bottom of the irons. You make swings on a lie board (basically a piece of plexiglass). If the marks are more to one side or the other you adjust to move the contact.

Forgive me, those look much different than what I've used in the past. Am I correct to assume the arrows were pointed away from the target when the stickers were on the sole of your clubs?

That’s correct

What's the marking in the first one? Looks like a 7, but so does the 2nd one.

Sorry 7 iron as well.

If I am reading them right, it appears the 8 needs to go 1° upright and the 8 needs to go 1° flat. Were they checked to make sure they are all actual stock lie angles. Mizuno irons are 1° flat across the board when compared to many other OEM standard specs.

Lie angles read a PGATSS:
6i: 62.5°
7i: 62°
8i: 63°
9i: 63°
PW: 64°

Lie angle is used to help tighten dispersion based on the golfers swing or how they club interacts with the turf at impact. If your lie angle isnt adjusted you could see the club being too upright, and the toe is not making contact with the ground at impact. If the club is too flat then the heel is not making contact with the ground at impact.

Adjusting upright then your shots will have a right to left flight, if your club is too flat, then your shots will go left to right.

Since not all OEMs are uniform with lie angles it’s important to get it checked.

That would mess with my head. I'd either move the 6i flatter or the rest more upright to make it make sense.

Lie angle is used to help tighten dispersion based on the golfers swing or how they club interacts with the turf at impact. If your lie angle isnt adjusted you could see the club being too upright, and the toe is not making contact with the ground at impact. If the club is too flat then the heel is not making contact with the ground at impact.

Adjusting upright then your shots will have a right to left flight, if your club is too flat, then your shots will go left to right.

Since not all OEMs are uniform with lie angles it’s important to get it checked.

Great explanation!

Standard specs per Mizuno website:
6 - 61
7 - 61.5
8 - 62
9 - 62.5
PW - 63

So they are already .5 - 1.5 upright. I am assuming you bought them used as Mizuno specs are typically spot on to standard or whatever spec you order them from the factory.

I agree except think push or pull flight instead of draw or fade flight.

6 - 61
7 - 61.5
8 - 62
9 - 62.5
PW - 63

So they are already .5 - 1.5 upright. I am assuming you bought them used as Mizuno specs are typically spot on to standard or whatever spec you order them from the factory.

I did get them used but everyone swings differently.

From the Mizuno site.

383f3acf605e53695582f4a22460f6db.jpg

My swing must defy all odds. I know that what you stated is exactly how it is supposed to be. I have been playing my irons flat (62 PW and down .5 for each increasing iron) for years and always still had a right to left ball flight. When I was fit at Tour Edge, they fit me to 1 degree upright (64 PW), or a 2 degree swing across the board, based on attaining a strighter ball flight at that setting. Have not received them yet so do not how it translates to performance on the course yet.

One important note is that if the swing is not all that repeatable, every swing could have a different impact point. It’s one of the reasons why lie boards are flawed in my opinion.

If someone is not all that repeatable and it’s 1 degree or so in either direction, I wouldn’t change much personally.

Based on those images it appears as though numerous shots provided different results.

My swing must defy all odds. I know that what you stated is exactly how it is supposed to be. I have been playing my irons flat (62 PW and down .5 for each increasing iron) for years and always still had a right to left ball flight. When I was fit at Tour Edge, they fit me to 1 degree upright (64 PW), or a 2 degree swing across the board, based on attaining a strighter ball flight at that setting. Have not received them yet so do not how it translates to performance on the course yet.

I would guess you have a more repeatable swing and using lie adjustments for you is to tighten dispersion.

One important note is that if the swing is not all that repeatable, every swing could have a different impact point. It’s one of the reasons why lie boards are flawed in my opinion.

If someone is not all that repeatable and it’s 1 degree or so in either direction, I wouldn’t change much personally.

Based on those images it appears as though numerous shots provided different results.

100% agree, adjusting lie angles for a non repeatable swing is a band aid for the real reason the ball flight is offline.

6 - 61
7 - 61.5
8 - 62
9 - 62.5
PW - 63

Interesting enough, when I had them them read my Rogue X 7i, it came in at 64, so who knows.

Yeah, it’s my swing for sure,barely repeatable. Unfortunately, unlike most here, my swing doesn’t quite equal my passion for this game. I kinda started the thread as something to ponder during the holidays.

As see the photos now, I can see where I hit the board before the ball.

a14161d9d2d06f5e014a8ece7451bd08.jpg

Interesting enough, when I had them them read my Rogue X 7i, it came in at 64, so who knows.
Generally cast clubs don't move much. Callaway's stock specs are normally a degree more upright than Mizuno's. Did they fit you to an upright lie at the Grandaddy?

Generally cast clubs don't move much. Callaway's stock specs are normally a degree more upright than Mizuno's. Did they fit you to an upright lie at the Grandaddy?

Yes they did.

Back