Need to hit over a house?

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm really not sure what situation would call for either of these...
340f0cdbcc10c9f34b2dee062773d6f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

For when you need to knock some sense into yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you have gum stuck to your tile floor....and you can't find a putty knife.

I’ve played a 68* before. It’s.....interesting to say the least. I don’t miss mine at all.

I'm really not sure what situation would call for either of these...
340f0cdbcc10c9f34b2dee062773d6f3.jpg

More like you want to thin it right through the house.. Yikes that would be wide open. Super flop shot

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think 56* loft is suitable for most all green side shots including bunker play, lobs from the grass etc....
Going up to 58*, for most players (including myself), probably causes higher overall scores.
60* or higher lofted wedges I think harms 18 hole scores more than helps, even for Tour players.

76* ... more like hit yourself in the face. HA!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have a 65 degree wedge. Best sand club there is. I don't know about those 2 clubs though.

So funny reading this thread title because yes I do! At my brother in laws house we try and hit foam golf balls over his house all the time! He has a 64 and I use a 60, that 68 might just work for me!

I have a 62 that I'm playing around with. I already can add a lot of loft to a wedge I cant imagine anything higher.

Love my Callaway Sure Out 64, can’t say I haven’t been tempted that Super Fly 76 at Academy Sports. :confused2:

The only uses I can see for those is either to perform stupid human tricks or to bludgeon a snake.

That’s a bit extreme... I only played a 60* for 2-3 years. It had very little bounce so I could really manipulate it. I remember showing off to my Dad after I brought it down to Florida. I wound up behind one of those skinny evergreens about 25’ high. Except ball was MAYBE 25 yards from green with the tree only 10 yards away. Ball was sitting up okay in grass. I went all Phil on that swing and it launched nearly straight up. Cleared the tree by plenty and landed like a shot put about 4ft from pin. I think that was the best shot I ever hit with it. It came out of the bag when I realized I hardly used it more than once every 2 or 3 rounds, and usually just gouging out of deep rough near green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve played a 68* before. It’s.....interesting to say the least. I don’t miss mine at all.
I built a 68 just for the range, but I'd never game it.

60* or higher lofted wedges I think harms 18 hole scores more than helps, even for Tour players.

Really? What could you possibly base that on?

Avg amateurs? Yes. Better amateurs and pros? No way.

Really? What could you possibly base that on?

Avg amateurs? Yes. Better amateurs and pros? No way.

The problem with wedges of more than 56* loft is that consistent distance control suffers from even the slightest mishit of a shot.
In contrast, green side shots played with less loft offer better forgiveness because a slightly mishit 44*, 48*, 52*, 54* club will still provide effective distance control.
The advantage to 58* or higher lofted wedges is that higher trajectory can be achieved , but the down side of such high lofted wedges is that consistent distance control is compromised. In general, the high lofted wedges do on occasion produce spectacular shots, but similar results (on a more consistent basis) can be achieved with a 54* , 55*, or 56*.
Choosing lines of play , including the leave for the next shot, is a major factor influencing consistently low golf scores. Specifically, a player with a goal of low scoring should be leaving himself/herself relatively high percentage subsequent shots. This means there is little to no practical reason a player should have for a 58* or higher lofted wedge.
I think most all amateurs, and some Tour players as well, would lower their scoring average a bit by having a 54*, 55*, or 56* as their highest lofted wedge.

The problem with wedges of more than 56* loft is that consistent distance control suffers from even the slightest mishit of a shot.
In contrast, green side shots played with less loft offer better forgiveness because a slightly mishit 44*, 48*, 52*, 54* club will still provide effective distance control.
The advantage to 58* or higher lofted wedges is that higher trajectory can be achieved , but the down side of such high lofted wedges is that consistent distance control is compromised. In general, the high lofted wedges do on occasion produce spectacular shots, but similar results (on a more consistent basis) can be achieved with a 54* , 55*, or 56*.
Choosing lines of play , including the leave for the next shot, is a major factor influencing consistently low golf scores. Specifically, a player with a goal of low scoring should be leaving himself/herself relatively high percentage subsequent shots. This means there is little to no practical reason a player should have for a 58* or higher lofted wedge.
I think most all amateurs, and some Tour players as well, would lower their scoring average a bit by having a 54*, 55*, or 56* as their highest lofted wedge.
Ok. Just wanted to see where you're coming from. Just a guy feeling with no actual data to back it up. Thanks.

While I agree that the 60° wedge leaves little room for error, I disagree that it as detrimental as you make it out to be.

Also, you never addressed the 57° wedge. Is it taboo, too? :clown:

I think it also depends on what the high lofted is being used for. I have used a 60 degree and a 58 degree lob wedge but I do not normally do full swings with my wedges. I have invested a lot of time working on my chipping and pitching and when playing on firm fast greens I rely on high spinny shots to get close. My scores would go up on these courses for sure. Alternatively, on slower greens I use my 54 for chipping. I also use the 54 for bunker shots as I'm much worse with my 58 from the bunker due to the reduced bounce I have in my lob wedge.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ok. Just wanted to see where you're coming from. Just a guy feeling with no actual data to back it up. Thanks.

While I agree that the 60° wedge leaves little room for error, I disagree that it as detrimental as you make it out to be.

Also, you never addressed the 57° wedge. Is it taboo, too? :clown:

I think it's just one of those golf adages that people like to say. I suck at golf and have no trouble hitting 60* wedges (or higher) effectively. I swear a lot of it is psychological. It's kinda like when everyone thought that running a 4 minute mile was impossible.

I think it's just one of those golf adages that people like to say. I suck at golf and have no trouble hitting 60* wedges (or higher) effectively. I swear a lot of it is psychological. It's kinda like when everyone thought that running a 4 minute mile was impossible.

I understand any player can "hit a 60* wedge".
My comments are within the context of getting the ball up and down, consistently leaving pitches and chips within 5 feet of the hole. For this the forgiveness provided by less loft is very helpful.

Tom Kite's use of the 60 degree wedge at the 1992 US Open was the breakthrough for wedges at that loft. But apparently your opinion is different from thousands of tour pros for over 25 years.

Also, what's the highest lofted wedge you play?

For the OP, I could see the 68 working for someone that wants to hit it high around the greens and hates to open the face. My Dad is one of those people....

I understand any player can "hit a 60* wedge".
My comments are within the context of getting the ball up and down, consistently leaving pitches and chips within 5 feet of the hole. For this the forgiveness provided by less loft is very helpful.
I'll agree with that depending on what is between the ball and the hole. I often go to my 4h which has 23° of loft. Where I think the limitations on the concept come in are with really high shots. Yes, you can open up a SW (54-56°) and attempt the same shot, but if its between opening up a 56 to 60 or hitting s square 60, I'm opting for the 60 nearly every time. If the lie is really fluffy or I'm hitting against the grain of the rough or similar situation, then I'd likely go with the 60. I think they're both great tools and just need to be utilized properly. I'd think long and hard before I took my 60 out of the bag.

Tom Kite's use of the 60 degree wedge at the 1992 US Open was the breakthrough for wedges at that loft. But apparently your opinion is different from thousands of tour pros for over 25 years.

Also, what's the highest lofted wedge you play?

For the OP, I could see the 68 working for someone that wants to hit it high around the greens and hates to open the face. My Dad is one of those people....
Yeah, maybe, but 76?

How do you even make contact with a 76?!? I would be woried about going right under the ball without touching it.

Back