Kay-Dee

Reaction score
Handicap
A light-hearted topic for Christmas Eve.

Do you tell people "I'm golfing" , or do you say "I'm playing golf"? The former suggests that golf is a verb, and the latter is a noun.

Personally, I never say golfing......only golf. Athletes don't say they are baseballing, or footballing, or basket balling.

What do you say?

Last edited:
Depends on the day, and the phrasing of the sentence. Sometimes golfing makes more sense, sometimes not.

Both. When someone plays really well I sometimes say "he really golfed his ball". So there's another one for the verb category.

Depends on how many beers I've had. In all seriousness I've used both and neither way bothers me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

pet peeve of mine. it’s not a verb!!! or wouldn’t be if i got to be grammar czar for a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As far as I can recall, I always say "playing golf." My wife always asks when am I "going golfing" and it has a weird sound to my ear, but I wouldn't dare correct her.

As far as I can recall, I always say "playing golf." My wife always asks when am I "going golfing" and it has a weird sound to my ear, but I wouldn't dare correct her.

Ding ding ding! I am completely on board with this entire post.

Smart man. Or she might reply...."I forbid you from golfing today".

If she is a smart women she will never utter the "forbid" word.
Nothing good had ever come from that at least in my experience.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1000X this ^^^^^^

Golf is most definitely NOT a verb.

/thread

Mods, you can close this. The debate is over.

:clown:

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I see nothing fundamentally wrong with a gerund, although that doesn’t make it a verb. English is hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ballin !

I see nothing fundamentally wrong with a gerund, although that doesn’t make it a verb. English is hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A gerund "is derived from a verb but that functions as a noun". We're talking about making a noun function as a verb. It just doesn't work that way.

Do you tell people "I'm golfing" , or do you say "I'm playing golf"? The former suggests that golf is a verb, and the latter is a noun.

Personally, I never say golfing......only golf. Athletes don't say they are baseballing, or footballing, or basket balling.

What do you say?

Playing golf. :)

batman-grammar-is-essential.jpg

After watching me, most people probably wouldn't call what I do on the course either of those

Both for me. To me, "golf" is closer to "ski" in a vernacular sense than it is football, baseball or basketball.

I don't play ski, I go skiing. And I may play some golf while I'm also at times... golfing.

That's precisely because ski is a verb.

Ski is also a noun.

Golf is listed as an intransitive verb in the dictionary. So while you can believe that it can't be used as a verb, many people do, and the dictionaries say they can do so.

Ski is also a noun.

Golf is listed as an intransitive verb in the dictionary. So while you can scream to the high heavans that it can't be used as a verb, many people do, and the dictionaries say they can do so.
Ski is most definitely a noun. That's not what we're debating.

They've added ain't to the dictionary, too, but it'll never be a word. It doesn't pass the common sense test. Sort of like golf being considered a verb.

Oxford, M-W, and dictionary.com only lost golf as a noun.

I'm sure you can find some obscure reference, but I'll defer to well respected sources.

Oxford, M-W, and dictionary.com only lost golf as a noun.

I'm sure you can find some obscure reference, but I'll defer to well respected sources.

Oxford dictionary below
b2fa30484f6d2f88b4c0f4089259985c.jpg

Do you tell people "I'm golfing", or do you say "I'm playing golf"? The former suggests that golf is a verb, and the latter is a noun.

This is where a lot of the conversation has gone astray. The former does NOT suggest that golf is a verb. In the former the word used was "golfing" not "golf".

From Golf News Net:

When you talk about the sport of golf, one thing should be very clear: The word golf is a noun; it's not a verb.

There is no infinitive verb "to golf," meaning that you shouldn't use golf as a verb. Merriam-Webster will tell you that you can use "golf" as an intransitive verb, or that you can use "golfing" as a word. They're wrong. They're completely wrong.

Only use golf as a noun.

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2017/02/11/golf-is-a-noun-not-a-verb-103029/

Back