In Search of... Playing Partners?

Boone

Reaction score
Not to sound pathetic, but my only really good friends/golf addicts live out of state. I don't mind golfing alone at all, as I have to do it frequently if I want to play. But there are a lot of downsides to playing alone, most notably that your pace of play invariably leads to sitting behind and waiting on 3 or 4-somes. Of course you can play through but it is a hassle to a certain extent for all involved.

As an introvert, I do force myself to get out of my comfort zone, and if offered, I'll usually join a group. I have even exchanged phone #'s with a couple folks in order to get together for future rounds, but to date no one has taken me up on the offer. I think most people prefer to golf with people they know - it's just human nature. I am also a pretty avid bike rider, and I liken the idea to local 'cycling groups' that exist all over the states where folks who have an interest in consistently riding can find others who are also looking for a vehicle to do that activity.

I am not looking for a 'dating service', lol... And I know that this particular forum does offer a space to attract folks to 'local outings', but wondered if there's not a need beyond my own for folks to find future great golf buddies to play an occasional round with in their area? I would really love to find a fellow local hacker or two in my area who could play every week or two and who is a good fit in terms of a golf buddy. I don't really have any criteria, other than that I think matching up folks who play from similiar tee boxes, have roughly the same handicap (or at least are in the same proximity), and of course availability to play, walker vs. rider preference, golf playing budget... those kinds of things might make for helping members find a good match in terms of a golf buddy.

There are probably sites out there designed just for that kind of thing - I'm not sure. I don't live in a large city though, so I'm guessing even if there are such sites, I'm not likely to find new peeps to play with.

Have you all used THP to connect with like-minded golfers and make new playing partners in person (outside of organized THP events)? One of the reasons I am trying to find some new folks to play with is that my favorite community golf course closed last year. That course was very low key, and it was easy just to walk on with no tee time, and go out as a single. I have yet to find a replacement course and have had some frustrating experiences trying to play as a single as I pursued a new home course.

Anyway, just wondering how you all found long-term golfing buddies and whether THP was helpful in that regard?

Good luck Boone. Hope a few THPers are able to jump in.

One of the reasons I am trying to find some new folks to play with is that my favorite community golf course closed last year. That course was very low key, and it was easy just to walk on with no tee time, and go out as a single. I have yet to find a replacement course and have had some frustrating experiences trying to play as a single as I pursued a new home course.

Anyway, just wondering how you all found long-term golfing buddies and whether THP was helpful in that regard?

I think the traditional practice is to call the course and have the shop pair you (as a single) with another single, a twosome, or a threesome. Have you tried doing this ?

Hopefully there are some THPers in the area that you can meet up with. Good on you for reaching out! I’m hoping to meet up with NY area people when golf season starts here.

I dont mind playing alone in town, my problem is that I have kind of out earned a lot of my golfing buddies and there are a lot of golf trips I want to take that they think is too pricey (Bandon, Pebble, American Club, etc). I dont want to forego all those places cause my golf buddies can only afford to spend $600 or $700 on a golf trip.

I didn't really know anyone who played golf, when I joined a club that is where I started hooking up with people. It has worked well.

I think the traditional practice is to call the course and have the shop pair you (as a single) with another single, a twosome, or a threesome. Have you tried doing this ?

Not really - primarily because I was spoiled with my little community course (which wasn't very busy). I could walk on, and typically play 18 alone without any issues. But when it closed, I'm finding that kind of situation is a rarity and that playing alone definitely has it's downside. As I said, I have forced myself to play with others when the course or situation dictated it and generally have had a good experience doing that. But I'd rather develop some friendships where I can play consistently with a few buddies. I do have some friends in NC, but other than my niece's husband, none of them are golfers.

Not really - primarily because I was spoiled with my little community course (which wasn't very busy). I could walk on, and typically play 18 alone without any issues. But when it closed, I'm finding that kind of situation is a rarity and that playing alone definitely has it's downside. As I said, I have forced myself to play with others when the course or situation dictated it and generally have had a good experience doing that. But I'd rather develop some friendships where I can play consistently with a few buddies. I do have some friends in NC, but other than my niece's husband, none of them are golfers.

I suggest continuing to have the pro shop pair you up with singles, twosome, and threesomes. Eventually you will meet at least one player who will become a regular playing partner of yours.
Another option is to join your home course men's club and start playing in some of their men's club events, where you will get to know plenty of guys who play your course often.

I used the forum to meet up with some here in KS and now we try to get together once a month to play. Other than that, I just try to pair up with someone if I can at the course. I don't mind golfing alone, but prefer playing with others.

I usually hang around the 1st tee for a bit - it doesn't take long before another solo or maybe a two-some or threesome will come along and ask me to join with them

Not to sound pathetic, but my only really good friends/golf addicts live out of state. I don't mind golfing alone at all, as I have to do it frequently if I want to play. But there are a lot of downsides to playing alone, most notably that your pace of play invariably leads to sitting behind and waiting on 3 or 4-somes. Of course you can play through but it is a hassle to a certain extent for all involved.

As an introvert, I do force myself to get out of my comfort zone, and if offered, I'll usually join a group. I have even exchanged phone #'s with a couple folks in order to get together for future rounds, but to date no one has taken me up on the offer. I think most people prefer to golf with people they know - it's just human nature. I am also a pretty avid bike rider, and I liken the idea to local 'cycling groups' that exist all over the states where folks who have an interest in consistently riding can find others who are also looking for a vehicle to do that activity.

I am not looking for a 'dating service', lol... And I know that this particular forum does offer a space to attract folks to 'local outings', but wondered if there's not a need beyond my own for folks to find future great golf buddies to play an occasional round with in their area? I would really love to find a fellow local hacker or two in my area who could play every week or two and who is a good fit in terms of a golf buddy. I don't really have any criteria, other than that I think matching up folks who play from similiar tee boxes, have roughly the same handicap (or at least are in the same proximity), and of course availability to play, walker vs. rider preference, golf playing budget... those kinds of things might make for helping members find a good match in terms of a golf buddy.

There are probably sites out there designed just for that kind of thing - I'm not sure. I don't live in a large city though, so I'm guessing even if there are such sites, I'm not likely to find new peeps to play with.

Have you all used THP to connect with like-minded golfers and make new playing partners in person (outside of organized THP events)? One of the reasons I am trying to find some new folks to play with is that my favorite community golf course closed last year. That course was very low key, and it was easy just to walk on with no tee time, and go out as a single. I have yet to find a replacement course and have had some frustrating experiences trying to play as a single as I pursued a new home course.

I live over in Fort Mill, SC and am a member at The Palisades in Charlotte, NC. You’re welcome to join me sometime. Shoot me a PM and I’ll get you my contact info and we’ll make it happen. I’m willing to come play out your way as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am in Mt Airy and am a member at Pilot Knob CC. Be glad to have you come up and play. Not too long a drive for you

I have yet to meet people and play additional rounds with them.. most of the time I enjoy being paired up with strangers though

My good buddies who golf are spread across the state but we get together once a month or two usually

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Golf is a very social game. When I started at 13 there was no one in my family who played nor any of my friends. A small 9 hole club allowed me join. Every morning I showed up I was paired with someone different. After a month or so there were some regular playing partners, mostly grumpy old men, but it was fun for me. I still go out as a single from time to time. Over the years I can only recall a couple people that I would never want to play with again. I've met so many fantastic people playing that far out weighs the bad. You always have something in common with whomever you play with, your love of golf. Start with that and you should be good to go.

Is there a golf meet-up group in your area?

I ended up on THP for precisely this reason.

I had recently taken up the game and didn't have any hope of consistently finding playing partners. I played solo quite a bit.

Now I have a fairly large group that I play with on somewhat of a rotating basis (just depends who is available on a given day).

At least 50% are local THP'ers. It's a rare weekend I don't play with at least one from my general region of the state.

As others have suggested, club events and random pairings can work as well.

I do think that it's usually very easy to click with THP'ers. The shared obsession probably helps!

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

There’s no easy way about finding golfing buddies especially if you don’t belong to a course. As a member of my club for over 18 years I’m only finally getting a real crew together I can rely on to want to golf a few nights a week and on the weekends.

THP has never been a local solution for me but it has opened the door to the idea of traveling anywhere in the lucky and probably getting into a foursome. I absolutely love that about this community.

Back