Big Toe Nail Issue From Golf

Ft Worth Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
I wanted to start a thread to see if anyone else has the same toe issue I have and how to fix it. So during my swing I apparently jam my foot forward in my shoe. This pushes my big toe nail back into my toe and causes a bruise by the cuticle and my entire toe nail becomes bruised and really sensitive for several days. I always clip my big toe nail as low as I possibly can before golfing which helps a tiny bit. I've tried big shoes, small shoes, soft toe shoes.... Anyone else have this issue and know of possible solutions?

My sore toe is the second one on my left foot. No idea why.

Ever tried lacing your shoes in a heel lock pattern?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

i have the most trouble with my second toe on my right foot. my wife calls it a coup de toe because it is longer than the others and trying to take over the foot. i have a bad habit of not getting my weight all the way to my left side through the finish, so when i hang back there is a good bit of weight on the right foot and the coup de toe bears the brunt of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was so scared to open this thread. I just KNEW there was going to be a pic of a nasty looking toe!

So thank you for sparing us that, hahaha.

I lost my 2nd toenail on one foot after my first half marathon.

Got bigger shoes and haven't had a problem since.

Have tried the ankle lock before and it has merit.

Last edited:
I don't have the experience but wanted to ask out of curiosity. Do you havwe this issue with any other shoes, sports playing, walking , whatever the case?

Just trying to wonder if seeing a pediatrist and orthopedic shoe soles would be of any help.

cut your nails
get shoes that fit
wider toebox

cut your nails
get shoes that fit
wider toebox
Did you read the OP? Seems he's already done most, if not all, of that.

I don't have the experience but wanted to ask out of curiosity. Do you havwe this issue with any other shoes, sports playing, walking , whatever the case?

Just trying to wonder if seeing a pediatrist and orthopedic shoe soles would be of any help.

I have no other issues with my feet. I also play tennis and baseball and this doesn't happen, it's a golf only thing and I know it's because my toe is slamming into the front of my shoe.

Ever tried lacing your shoes in a heel lock pattern?

I'll try this lacing method. I have a pair of disc Puma shoes so I obviously can't try it with those.

another thing that will help is insoles that help with your foot sliding forwards

I have no other issues with my feet. I also play tennis and baseball and this doesn't happen, it's a golf only thing and I know it's because my toe is slamming into the front of my shoe.

interesting. May i ask is this the forward more planted foot or the rear foot that rides up onto the toes at the swing finish? i assume the later but only you can answer for sure.

interesting. May i ask is this the forward more planted foot or the rear foot that rides up onto the toes at the swing finish? i assume the later but only you can answer for sure.

Both feet actually

Duct tape that toe so you can't see it, fixed

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This happens to me occasionally on my right big toe and it seems to happen when I’m hitting the ball the best. From my experience it happens when I’m creating power from the ground and really pushing off my back side to rotate and get to my front side. It just creates a lot of pressure on the toe and when I make that full turn I end up with my toenail facing the ground, which I think is where the pain comes from.

When that happens, usually only with driver in hand, I immediately feel it but the results are worth it so I deal with it:)

Back