Vinyl Collectors?

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Any vinyl record hoarders or collectors out there?

I’ve got a few hundred and got into it for the covers, stayed for the music.

After a couple years off, I figured I’d jump back in and start to go a little more hifi on my setup. Literally just grabbed a new U-Turn Orbit custom turntable and a set of Elac monitors. Pretty pumped to get back to collecting, and playing them.

Anyone else here?

I have quite a bit of Vinyl records in all sorts of conditions. Never got too big into collecting what was popular or getting too much into the audiophile quality of it all. I just really enjoy the warmth a vinyl record will create and even enjoy the uniqueness of each record when you get them in all sorts of conditions.

My 17yo daughter has about 40 or so albums. She has been into them for a couple of years now. Wish I would have kept all the ones I had when I was young for her.

My wife and I acquired a couple hundred records when her father died, I have no interest in them.

• Staff
My wife and I acquired a couple hundred records when her father died, I have no interest in them.

I’d love to see some pics of titles if you all are interested in moving them. Not trying to overstep, but feel free to pm...

I’d love to see some pics of titles if you all are interested in moving them. Not trying to overstep, but feel free to pm...

No worries here Jman

I will keep this in mind when I decide to go through them again. I looked at them when we got them home a couple years ago but nothing really jumped out at me. I have a feeling that if something isn't done soon with them they will be permanently in the way.

If I remember right, I think there is a lot of country.

I still have every album I ever bought or was given to me. Don't have anything set up to play them. But have the equipment to do so when I decide to.

I don't personally but my father in law I believe has over 100,000 records the last time he counted. He has an entire room dedicated to them with shelves around the entire room.

I haven’t grabbed up anything in a while but I used to make weekly trips to the thrift shops hunting down good used vinyl on the cheap. Made some great finds that way, including some new unopened discs. Probably have 150 or so packed away along with a Pro-Ject 6.1 table I bought years ago.

That U-Turn table looks like a great little package to get spinning. I may have to see if I can buy the acrylic platter to throw onto mine.

I still have a small collection, but, lack a turntable.

I have a quite a few, but I got away from it after my last turntable died. I really need to get a decent system again.

I've got some pretty cool old records. My original copy of Sgt Peppers is probably the highlight though.

Same, sorta. I do have a turntable, but it's a crappy Crosley.

815rLHzfi3L._SL1500_.jpg

I'm really looking to get something decent that isn't going to break the bank (~$200 or less would be ideal). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As for my collection, I've got about 30 albums, my favorites being Music from Big Pink and The Band.

I still have my Technics SL-1200 MkII that I bought in 1988 but I haven’t had it hooked up in over 10 years. I should set it up and pull out those 50 or so dusty albums I have in storage.

Got a whole peach crate full of them. Mostly rock from the late 70's early 80's. Love going through looking at them.... Even some K-Tel records in there!!

Any vinyl record hoarders or collectors out there?

I’ve got a few hundred and got into it for the covers, stayed for the music.

After a couple years off, I figured I’d jump back in and start to go a little more hifi on my setup. Literally just grabbed a new U-Turn Orbit custom turntable and a set of Elac monitors. Pretty pumped to get back to collecting, and playing them.

Anyone else here?
I used to collect casually but haven't for years. I have a friend here who has a couple thousand (I think) and he's considering selling. Not too far of a drive for you if you're interested.

I still have my Technics SL-1200 MkII that I bought in 1988 but I haven’t had it hooked up in over 10 years. I should set it up and pull out those 50 or so dusty albums I have out from storage.
oooh, a Technics 1200...nice!

Man, I forgot how addictive this hobby is for me. The quest for the setup, the constant tweaking, the chase for the albums both new and old.

Maybe it’ll slow my club buying down. Haha

Last night I picked up three of the KoL albums as well as three Avett Brothers and a classic The Last Waltz by The Band.

Now hunting Van Morrison.

I wouldn't say collector because my collection per se is not that large. My son has a larger collection than I do. But a few of my favorites are a few Rush albums on vinyl .... but the best for me is Pink Floyd - The Wall. One of my first records I listened to over & over when I was younger. I'm pretty sure I wore out the needle at some point. HA! :act-up:

I have a few dozens, and a small setup to play them, but nothing fancy. I enjoy one from time to time.

Ngn

Ngn

You should get to know these places:

http://www.turntableneedles.com is a great source for styli. IIRC a stylus should be replaced every 300-400 hours

If you have a damaged recordng (tape or record) this software takes a while to learn but does amazing things:

http://www.diamondcut.com. They also have some [expensive]forensics software that does things like isolating a single conversation out of the noise in a crowded room.

Man, I forgot how addictive this hobby is for me. The quest for the setup, the constant tweaking, the chase for the albums both new and old.

Maybe it’ll slow my club buying down. Haha

Last night I picked up three of the KoL albums as well as three Avett Brothers and a classic The Last Waltz by The Band.

Now hunting Van Morrison.

I’m a big fan of Van Morrison. Have you broken in those new Elacs yet?

I’m a big fan of Van Morrison. Have you broken in those new Elacs yet?

They arrive tomorrow! Going to use my old turntable setup to break them in before my uturn is built and shipped

I have a quite a few, but I got away from it after my last turntable died. I really need to get a decent system again.

I've got some pretty cool old records. My original copy of Sgt Peppers is probably the highlight though.

Same, sorta. I do have a turntable, but it's a crappy Crosley.

815rLHzfi3L._SL1500_.jpg

I'm really looking to get something decent that isn't going to break the bank (~$200 or less would be ideal). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As for my collection, I've got about 30 albums, my favorites being Music from Big Pink and The Band.

180 bucks and you're in business. Looks to be an awful lot of bang for the buck with this little guy.

With the huge resurgence in vinyl I thought I might get back into it, but I got a bit of sticker shock from the pricing. Granted, I'm really showing my age, but when I started buying vinyl it was around $5 and when I moved to CDs I was probably paying $12. Now I'm seeing pricing of $40+$12.95 shipping for one LP!!!!! If you can find used vinyl that's the best way to go, however, you need to convince the grandma down the street that her 30 generic big band albums are not worth $80. The previous is an actual recent interaction I had.

They arrive tomorrow! Going to use my old turntable setup to break them in before my uturn is built and shipped

It's always fun to get new audio gear! I'm actually going to bring my UB5's up to our lake house tomorrow for the long holiday weekend. I want to test them out with a real amplifier and possibly get another pair of them for a home theater set up at that house. They are a bit power hungry and right now I'm under powering them with a receiver that was left by the previous owner when we bought the house a year ago.

You should get to know these places:

http://www.turntableneedles.com is a great source for styli. IIRC a stylus should be replaced every 300-400 hours

If you have a damaged recordng (tape or record) this software takes a while to learn but does amazing things:

http://www.diamondcut.com. They also have some [expensive]forensics software that does things like isolating a single conversation out of the noise in a crowded room.

Agree.

Also consider Needldoctor.com & AudioAdvisor.com for discount tables & phono cartridges,

If you have an old cartridge you need retipped Andy Kim at Needle Clinic (Needleclinic@gmail.com) is a good, but expensive resource.

Back