OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Given a decent lie and enough distance between you and the tree (or other obstacle) do you mean toward the high route or low route to get back into play?

SQ2q5G

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
For me I am going low

I launch high, and anytime I try to hit a low runner/stinger it's a shank.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Much easier for me to go high with my swing, but trees are much easier to work around lower to the ground. So....I guess I lean toward letting each situation decide for itself. Fork to throat, 60/40 high.

If there's enough room, then there is no problem going over. It would depend on the shot- is it a second shot on a par 5? then I would drive a low hook around the tree to leave a shorter 3rd. that one would go further than going over. If it is a second shot into a par 4, then go over the top.

I try to play what the shot calls for. More often than not I punch it. I have no problem going over if landing it on the green is a possibility.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I normally plan to go over the tree which normally means my ball goes into or through the tree.

I'm for sure going under the tree. I have no confidence that I could hit it high enough to make it over.

Always try the high route if possible, much more predictable if you have a good lie and as you said some distance between the tree and yourself.

If I have enough room I'll always try to go over the tree. If I hit a limb at the top of the tree they're usually smaller and might give more and I might only lose a little distance. Now if I were to go low those limbs are larger and don't flex much, if any, and who knows where the the ball might go if I hit one of them. Hence high wins out for me as long as I have the room.

I, too, lean toward the high shot.

Normally attempt to go up, up and away.

I'm way more comfortable going under but have been working on going over, for the times that under won't work and the "cool" factor of watching a high ball launch over a tree.

I've seen that view on several occasions, some of which were actually from the fairway. :bulgy-eyes: My normal plan would be to go over. Even if I skull it (normal miss) my shot should still get past the tree.

I play the shot based on the variables that I see and how comfortable I am with executing that shot at the time.

This is kind of a tough question, generally if there is enough room to go over, I'm too far back to hit under. If I truly have to hit a long burner, I go with my 2H and hit a hard putt with it, that sucker will run for days.

How far do I need to go on the other side? What's over there? Is it windy? If so, is it helping or hurting, or to the side?

I know it depends on many variables. Just really wondered how many defaulted to high vs low. I know I do. It takes a great bit to get me to go low if there's any reasonable chance to go high.

Most likely low, but sometimes high. My scores seem to be lower when I just take my medicine and punch out under the tree.

I'm going low. Just better odds for me.

I'll always go high if I know I can clear, trust your swing and hit it like normal and typically will clear if no wind.

I am going Low whenever possible. I feel like there's more room for error for me.

I know it depends on many variables. Just really wondered how many defaulted to high vs low. I know I do. It takes a great bit to get me to go low if there's any reasonable chance to go high.

Well with most deciding variables removed.....then I suppose we would have to assume the choice is about equal (as for success) to go either way. Given the similar chances id opt high. Imo high is a normal shot and low would be more a specialty shot so im swinging normally and going high if Im comfortable with the room to go that way.

I honesly don't think ive come across a scenario where the choice was about 50/50. Most always there is a favored route over the other due to the variables of the scenario.

I'm primarily a low ball hitter, but if I can get to where I'm going (green , preferred layup area, etc) with 9-iron or less, I'm going high. With 8-iron it might be a toss up, any distance requiring 7-iron on up I'll probably club up and go low.

Low when I can. I feel like a low shot is something I can do with my setup, but a high shot I feel much more like I need to change my swing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back