Cut vs Snell vs Vice and why?

DblBogey4Life

Reaction score
Handicap
Title says it all. Which brand and model do you prefer and what did it replace and why.

I’m thinking of giving Cut a try to replace Callaway Supersoft/Titleist TruSoft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snell MTB Black for me. Performs just like a Pro V1 for me. Haven’t tried the Vice. The Cut Blue was 20yds shorter off the driver and 1 club short with irons and spun like hell. I spin everything but I was backing up 5i’s and one hop & stopping fw’s. I had a couple sleeves of the Grey and I gave them away without trying them.

FWIW, I play KSigs mostly with MTB’s & Chrome Softs mixed in.

Snell Black for me. I tried the Vice balls and they were ok, but durability was horrible. Learned more about Snell and I'm a believer. Having Dean Snell ensures they're always going to be a top notch product. I've put them against PV1 and TP5x and they all played similarly. Gonna try Bridgestone and Srixon balls too but I'm sure I'll stick with Snell.

... I have played all 3 and can't really tell much performance difference between them, other than cosmetics. I did not care for the shiny 70's Top Flite looking cover on the Cut Blue but shot a 66 first time using one, which tied my all time low score so hard to complain. They are releasing a new less shiny cover and dimple pattern that is supposed to be better in the wind so that will be interesting. If I am spending my money on one of them, it would be Snell Black simply because Dean Snell has put in the R&D designing balls for several companies as well as his own, while I have no idea what kind of R&D Vice or Cut balls have been thru or who designed them. But I have no reservation about playing any of the 3 with something on the line. I played them all just to see how they performed, and I have a dozen Snell Black's and 2 dozen of the new Cut Blue to take to Phoenix for the winter, but none of them are replacing my TP5x.

Last edited:
Snell Black. It’s a performance player’s ball with a discounted price, not a cheap ball with discounted performance! Cut and vice (from what I’ve read; I haven’t played them) don’t perform at the same level.

I used to buy used mint or near mint balls. But for $25 a dozen I’ll buy new Snells. It’s a product I’m glad to have on the market and will spend a little of my money to help keep it there.

I've played Cut, the first gen Snell MTB and now Vice Pro (did get their sampler pack as well). Differences were not detectable to me and I strongly preffered the cosmetics of Vice both logo and colour selection. Ended up picking up 5 dozen of mixed colours.

Aren’t these three all produced by Foremost Golf ?

I'd go with Snell, since Dean and his team are designing the balls in house. I might be wrong but Cut and Vice I think are pretty much ordering from a catalog.

I have been playing the Vice for a little over a year now. I like the feel and used to play ProV1 or Bridgestone B330RXS. I have not tried the Snell so I cannot comment of it yet.

I'd go Snell every time. He has the pedigree behind him which gives me a lot of confidence in his product. The Snell offerings are right up there with any other brand performance wise and a steal for the price.

I'd go Snell every time. He has the pedigree behind him which gives me a lot of confidence in his product. The Snell offerings are right up there with any other brand performance wise and a steal for the price.

This is pretty much where I stand, too, KEV. Don't get me wrong, I won't scoff at playing the other offerings. I actually found a VICE Pro in "I've been hit once" shape and gamed it for a round. I was pleased with it's performance. I would game it again but if I'm opening my wallet to put an online order in, I'm going to snellgolf.com just because I'm more confident in the QC measures. It doens't mean that the other companies don't have great QC measures (I don't know, for sure) but I'm confident Dean Snell is not going to sully his reputation in the golf world by cutting corners to sell a ball.

I’ve never played Vice, but I have played the Snell Get Sum and Vice Grey and Blue. Out of those I prefer Snell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snell Black. It’s a performance player’s ball with a discounted price, not a cheap ball with discounted performance! Cut and vice (from what I’ve read; I haven’t played them) don’t perform at the same level.

I used to buy used mint or near mint balls. But for $25 a dozen I’ll buy new Snells. It’s a product I’m glad to have on the market and will spend a little of my money to help keep it there.

yep. this is my experience to an exact t. what he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have not played the Snell’s.

The Cut urethane covers wore faster than most urethane balls and looked weird too, the white color was off/different.

I’ve played several of the Vice urethane models and liked them all. The Pro Soft look weird because they are white, but in a matte finish. However, they are longer off my and my son’s irons than any other “soft” urethane balls. They are roughly 5 yards longer for me and 10-12 for my son. He really loves them.

I played my first snell balls today and I was pleased. They performed very well.

I have very little experience with the DTC balls but think it’s a great idea.

I played my first snell balls today and I was pleased. They performed very well.

I have very little experience with the DTC balls but think it’s a great idea.

I think half the MC is playing the Snell Black haha

I have played the original Snells and now play the Vice Pro +. I prefer the appearance off the Vice for the same price and play them over the Snell for that reason.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Snell MTB Black for me. Performs just like a Pro V1 for me. Haven’t tried the Vice. The Cut Blue was 20yds shorter off the driver and 1 club short with irons and spun like hell. I spin everything but I was backing up 5i’s and one hop & stopping fw’s. I had a couple sleeves of the Grey and I gave them away without trying them.

FWIW, I play KSigs mostly with MTB’s & Chrome Softs mixed in.

This is exactly me too.....K Sigs with Snell Black and Chromesoft (Truvis).

I've had the pleasure of trying all 3, but I'd choose Snell based on the transparency of the brand and Dean Snell himself.

I'm a Vice Pro+ guy now.
It is replacing: TP5X, & Chromesoft.
The difference between the balls is not enough to justify the $20/dz price difference.

I tried Snell & Cut; I just like the feel better for the Vice Pro+ just a bit more.

I like what Snell is doing, but they are hard to get up here, at a competitive price anyways.
I like Vice's appearance and marketing, and shipping to Canada is cheap, I might order a few dozens this year.
I don't know much about Cut outside of what I have read on THP sadly, not sure I would buy

I've never played a Cut ball. I have played a Vice ball before, one I found, and it was OK. I used the original Snell MTB extensively and tried a sleeve of the MTB Black. I'd go back to it if I wasn't getting the performance I get with the CS.

I've never played a Cut ball. I have played a Vice ball before, one I found, and it was OK. I used the original Snell MTB extensively and tried a sleeve of the MTB Black. I'd go back to it if I wasn't getting the performance I get with the CS.

Funny, I just found a sleeve of Cut Blue in my closet from a sampler pack I bought in the Spring. They had a deal for a sleeve of each of their original balls blue, grey, white and red for under $20.00. I played all of them but the blue. Which I’ll try out today after work.

The white and grey were just okay. The red was unplayable - seriously. So we’ll see what the 4 piece urethane is like.

Back