Srixon Z 585 vs Z 785 Driver Comparison

Nice write up James! I love having the adjustability in play with the driver as it allows me to easily change shafts to experiment with different profiles, swingweights, and lengths, so the 785 would be the ticket for me. I'm glad to hear that it sounds like the 785 makes the playability difference very minor for variable swings.

Thanks good sir. I had fun doing it, going to do something similar with W/S golf balls soon if the weather will cooperate haha

I’ve thought on that a lot, 785 would get a hard look because it’s not such a low spin monster that the 765 was. Man, that was SO low spin it ruined my tee game mentally for a couple weeks after review, this though was SUCH a pleasant surprise I’m shocked we didn’t get more feedback on it as time has passed.

I like comparing golf balls too. I'm hoping the Atmos thing comes through because I'd love to compare all 3 shafts with the cortex head. Show how much or how little a difference there is for my average game haha

565 to 765 was scary different. I like that this is more blended and incrimental. Gives more options to a golfer who might make their choice based on look, as you mentioned.

Great write up Jman! Really enjoyed diving into all the info and learning about the differences between the 2 drivers. I’m pretty sure a Srixon driver is gonna end up in my bag before next season kicks off and I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be a 785, I love the shape of it! The F85 has been phenomenal and I think the Z785 driver would be a great compliment to it:)

Great write up Jman! Really enjoyed diving into all the info and learning about the differences between the 2 drivers. I’m pretty sure a Srixon driver is gonna end up in my bag before next season kicks off and I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be a 785, I love the shape of it! The F85 has been phenomenal and I think the Z785 driver would be a great compliment to it:)

Glad you enjoyed it!

Giving this one a bump because its a solid read with bunch of data.

Awesome write up Jman. While I have never had the opportunity to hit Srixon drivers, your findings has definitely peaked my interest. I love the workmanship of their irons and wedges, so it doesn't surprise how great these look.

Really enjoyed the data and seeing that These are so darn close. Really positive results and you can’t really go wrong with either one.

I know I enjoy the sound of the 785 on all strikes but very low on the face.

Thanks gents, I appreciate the kind words. IMO, articles like this are pretty good conversation starters and that makes things fun.

All you who took the time to click and read, you rock!

Great job James; much appreciated. I understand the reasons for no adapter on the 585, but for constant tinkerers like me it gives me pause. That being said I’ve liked the Hzrdus Red shaft in the past, so I’ll look for a chance to demo for sure.

Given how close the two models are, I’d be surprised if the adjustable and interchangeable 785 isn’t most popular with THPers.

Given how close the two models are, I’d be surprised if the adjustable and interchangeable 785 isn’t most popular with THPers.

I think that’d be true, but, if ego is out of the equation I think the 585 would fit more.

I think that’d be true, but, if ego is out of the equation I think the 585 would fit more.

Shhhhh I don’t want my ego to hear you.

Thanks gents, I appreciate the kind words. IMO, articles like this are pretty good conversation starters and that makes things fun.

All you who took the time to click and read, you rock!

It was interesting to hear the results. The 5 yard distance difference might even be negligible to the point where the desired look at address will be a bigger deciding factor for me. And I certainly like the traditional look in the 785 more than the 585.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was interesting to hear the results. The 5 yard distance difference might even be negligible to the point where the desired look at address will be a bigger deciding factor for me. And I certainly like the traditional look in the 785 more than the 585.

I’m the same way dude! I’ve gotten a few swings in with the 585 and while I liked it, the shape was not ideal for me. However the 785 checks all the boxes for me in the aesthetics department, it’s fantastic!

I’m the same way dude! I’ve gotten a few swings in with the 585 and while I liked it, the shape was not ideal for me. However the 785 checks all the boxes for me in the aesthetics department, it’s fantastic!

It would have a hard time kicking out the TS2 at this point but I’m always interested in what Srixon comes out with!

Great write up James, can't wait to try these 2 out.

Just reshafted the 785 post head to head review. Excited to mess with it, with a shaft that’s a better profile for me!

Thanks again to all who read the head to head article.

Great write up. Just a question, there are 2 150 ball speed hots with the 585 but had good launch spin numbers which meant distance loss was basically nothing. I am guessing these were higher on the face. Is it normal for that kind of ball speed loss but still able to produce decent numbers? The 10 mph per shot 1 and 2 is not insignificant yet hardly any difference in carry.

My z585 came in yesterday with the Tensei Pro Orange and that thing is a beast !! I like having 2 drivers with different set ups for those random times when your swing gets out of whack. The 585 being my more forgiving option over the TS3... The ball speed is incredible off this face!! It definitely has a slight draw bias (not severe like the rogue draw or M4 D-type) but I think its more attributed to the upright lie angle and slightly closed face. I had some bad swings where I got under the ball and the ball still flew off the face!! 3 times yesterday I got under it and had a launch angle of 17* but it carried 265, obviously not much roll but I was in shock how far it flew in the air with such a poor strike. Typically I launch at 11* with 275 carry with great roll afterwards
Also for anyone that hasn't tried the Tensei Pro Orange, its by far the smoothest best feeling shaft Ive ever tried. For counter balance purposes it blows the HZRDUS Yellow away. I typically game some pretty stout shafts (Ozik Black Tie X 78grams) cuz they're suited better for me since I have a pretty aggressive swing.. The Tensei Pro Orange is great to where I don't have to really go after the ball and it still launches and produces great clubhead speed. I felt like im able to tone down my swing speed and let the shaft do the work and still see great numbers. Now considering putting it in my 3w also

I've got both drivers after buying a Z 585 last week. They both have the Hzrdus Red 5.5 shaft as well as the same length, 44.5", Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 grip and D3 swing weight. Have twice played the 785 for 9 holes and the 585 for the other 9 holes. Being 74 yo now, flexibility, two limb replacements have reduced the swing speed to the low to mid 80's.

I now play the Z 585. With the reduced swing speed, the length advantage of the 785 is minimal for me. The main reason the 585 is in the bag now is how straight it goes.

Both the 585 & 785 drivers are the best looking driver I've ever played. Look at address, no do-dads on the crown, sets square and the impact feel and sound is the best ever.

Just bumping this up for the Distance Event with Srixon participants in case they missed it:)

Just reshafted the 785 post head to head review. Excited to mess with it, with a shaft that’s a better profile for me!

Thanks again to all who read the head to head article.

Also wondering how this played out Jman?

Just bumping this up for the Distance Event with Srixon participants in case they missed it:)

Also wondering how this played out Jman?

It really hasn't so far, weather issues haven't been nice to me lately. Soon though I hope.

It really hasn't so far, weather issues haven't been nice to me lately. Soon though I hope.

Totally understand, hasn’t been good here either...looking forward to your thoughts on a more playable setup with the 785.

Is there a standard draw setting on the Z 785?

Is there a standard draw setting on the Z 785?

From what I’ve seen, lofting up will close the face and get it a little more upright.

Back