Srixon Z 585 vs Z 785 Driver Comparison

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I had been awaiting this comparison and it exceeded expectations. Excellent work James. I’d be hard pressed to give up the (on average) ball speed gains on the 7 model. Thanks for doing this; I know it took a bit of work.

Want to add, a few retailers have lowered pricing on these. It narrowed the gap pricing wise between the 5 and 7 series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boom! Hope everyone enjoys the read! I’m here for whatever Q’s you might have!

Nice write-up

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Excellent review!!!!
I apologize if I missed in the home page write up, but how are the heel and toe misses between the two? Are we talking major distance losses with those type of hits?

Boom! Hope everyone enjoys the read! I’m here for whatever Q’s you might have!

If you have any, please post photos of the top of the club head (s), thanks.

Great write up... Especially with the Srixon event sign ups just 14 days away...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have any, please post photos of the top of the club head (s), thanks.

I don’t have any of them side by side, but you can use the links to the reviews in the article and I know I had one for the 585, not sure about Dans pics or their angles though.

Without pics, 585 is very angular/triangular and more elongated. 785 is very traditional.

I don’t have any of them side by side, but you can use the links to the reviews in the article and I know I had one for the 585, not sure about Dans pics or their angles though.

Without pics, 585 is very angular/triangular and more elongated. 785 is very traditional.

OK thanks for your reply.

Great write-up, Jman. Thanks for the comparison.

Really good and helpful comparison! Thumbs up!

Outstanding job James, enjoyed the read!! Little more launch angle would be perfect!! I see what you meant when you said the shaft wasn’t what you would normally use.

Excellent article and very interesting how small the differences are, did you miss the ability to adjust the head on the 585 to fully match your potential best setup?

Also could you touch on the difference in performance due to the adjustable vs bonded on center hits if you saw any?

I see you mentioned it may have affected sound some but I have read some claims that saving that weight could help promote a fade bias but personally don't think I would be able to tell.

Excellent write-up James. Curious, with the right shaft combo, would one of these, guessing the 785, bump the Ping G400 out of your bag?

great write up!! Ive hit the 785 before with good results. Went to PGA Store yesterday and hit a few with the 585 and both had equal ball speeds with the 585 being more forgiving like previously mentioned. Ended up order the 585 with a Tensei Pro Orange TX....probably on back order but at least I wont need it for a few months

Good write up James!! Cool to see the comparison between the 2, I love stuff like this, it really helps see how the tech is working.

Excellent review!!!!
I apologize if I missed in the home page write up, but how are the heel and toe misses between the two? Are we talking major distance losses with those type of hits?
Oh, those misses yield ‘better’ results off of the 585 in my experience which given the shape and weight placement isn’t, to me, all that surprising. I will say the gear effect of both heads on misses to the perimeters is more toned down than a lot of heads I’ve hit. They aren’t as forgiving as, say, the G400/Max or Cortex for me, but juuuuuuuuust below that rung.

Outstanding job James, enjoyed the read!! Little more launch angle would be perfect!! I see what you meant when you said the shaft wasn’t what you would normally use.

Thanks RNG. Yeah, in the Aldila line the blue would have been a better fit for my swing, but, @JB and I agreed these were pretty ideal to set up an apples to apples scenario which is what I wanted with this idea for sure.

Excellent article and very interesting how small the differences are, did you miss the ability to adjust the head on the 585 to fully match your potential best setup?

Also could you touch on the difference in performance due to the adjustable vs bonded on center hits if you saw any?

I see you mentioned it may have affected sound some but I have read some claims that saving that weight could help promote a fade bias but personally don't think I would be able to tell.

I didn’t miss it, but, I recognize that the ability to take the 785 up one or two degrees could have improved that launch in this setup. The thing there is I still believe most but adjustable because they want that option, but either never use it, use it incorrectly based on eye balling things, or set it once and forget it.

You’re right though that for tinkerers, the ability to plug and play an adapter is easier than constantly removing a bonded shaft, unless you’re an addict and have a full shop setup at home, haha

Differences between the two on center strikes were in line with the averages I saw. 785 is going to be the lower launching and spinning head, but not anywhere as extreme of a difference as the 65 series was. I’ll say center strikes do feel better in the 585 and I believe the bonded hosel plays a part there personally.

Saving weight can do whatever the company wants it to. In the case of the 585, they placed it more heel and rearward, maintaining a draw bias but also helping launch and MOI. Had they moved all that out to the toe, then sure, I suppose it could add fade bias, but that isn’t what srixon did.

Thanks Jim!

Excellent write-up James. Curious, with the right shaft combo, would one of these, guessing the 785, bump the Ping G400 out of your bag?

Haha, well, scavenging back through data of my 585 review my highest ball speed I’ve recorded was on it and it was actually 166 so that sticks in my head a lot for the chase. But, forgiveness wise they’re not quite the same tier for me, ball speed though is that evil temptress for me that I chase so often. I figure they’ll both get another chance at some point this spring before I set the gamer bag for the season.

Fantastic comparisons in this article Jman. Really great stuff from the analysis of sound/look to the actual data, it's top notch! At least from what I can see in the data, it looks like both are great options given what most people are looking for in a driver. I can see your gently nudge toward the 585 given the playability factor and sound over the 785, but the ball speed numbers don't lie. It's great that Srixon has two different offerings that you found worked for you, hopefully others find the same.

missed this one since it was posted last night. About to dive in to it and it is one I have really been looking forward to.

Great job on the write up and comparisions, it's pretty neat to see the differences like this!

Wow. The data is really close between the two. Thanks for the info!

Nicely done @jman. I'm glad you were able to make this happen because when these drivers were announced and originally written up, there were many questions about the differences in a side by side enviornment. I'm not surprised by the more ball speed out of the 785, even though your highest was with the 585. I am somewhat surprised the spin profiles are more similar than they were in the previous offering.

So now the question, you are gaming one tomorrow, does the forgiveness of the 585 outweigh the extra 5 yards of the 785? Or does the the fact that the 785 being not as low for you as the 765 was make it one that could be in the bag?

I definitely agree with what you said about the 765. Man the thang was stupid low spinning. I was lucky if I ever saw spin numbers above 1400 when I tested it. Reminded me of the XR16 SubZero in that aspect.

Srixon Z 585 vs Z 785 Driver Comparison

Nicely done @jman. I'm glad you were able to make this happen because when these drivers were announced and originally written up, there were many questions about the differences in a side by side enviornment. I'm not surprised by the more ball speed out of the 785, even though your highest was with the 585. I am somewhat surprised the spin profiles are more similar than they were in the previous offering.

So now the question, you are gaming one tomorrow, does the forgiveness of the 585 outweigh the extra 5 yards of the 785? Or does the the fact that the 785 being not as low for you as the 765 was make it one that could be in the bag?

Thanks good sir. I had fun doing it, going to do something similar with W/S golf balls soon if the weather will cooperate haha

I’ve thought on that a lot, 785 would get a hard look because it’s not such a low spin monster that the 765 was. Man, that was SO low spin it ruined my tee game mentally for a couple weeks after review, this though was SUCH a pleasant surprise I’m shocked we didn’t get more feedback on it as time has passed.

Last edited:
I still haven't decided on my next driver. Typical me fashion, I've hit just about everything under the sun and haven't puller the trigger yet. But the offerings from Srixon are definitely on the top part of the list.

Back